SASS Wire Forum

American Henry

Noz

A new shooter showed up with a Big Boy. I got to watch him shoot the whole shoot. I felt sorry for him!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if a person would conatct Henry Repeating Arms and see if they would be open to hearing what gripes people have about the rifles, give some input as to how to make it better, that might help them improve the rifle for our game.

For a pro-gun group it's pretty sad that the bashing continues towards an American gun company that has excellent customer service and wants to support our sport.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Noz, please don't fell sorry for Henry users, shot my 12 match Sat. Clean and with a time of 210.21. My Henry has not jammed, because I took my time and loaded about 1000 rounds for testing. I likes 357 with 125 gr Lee RF. Both my Henry's did not cost what one match gun cost. And the Henry is still faster than me.

A new shooter showed up with a Big Boy. I got to watch him shoot the whole shoot. I felt sorry for him!

Well, if we're just collecting data (so that we don't rile up the "bashing a company" crowd), a new shooter was at our "practice" match yesterday, with a .45 Colt Big Boy. At least he made it though the first 4 stages. Fifth stage, though, it jammed and left 8 in the tube.

We'll see how he or the company addresses the problem.

Good luck, GJ

Maybe if a person would conatct Henry Repeating Arms and see if they would be open to hearing what gripes people have about the rifles, give some input as to how to make it better, that might help them improve the rifle for our game.

For a pro-gun group it's pretty sad that the bashing continues towards an American gun company that has excellent customer service and wants to support our sport.

I'm with you GG................Mink........

1328543858[/url]' post='2365496']

Noz, please don't fell sorry for Henry users, shot my 12 match Sat. Clean and with a time of 210.21. My Henry has not jammed, because I took my time and loaded about 1000 rounds for testing. I likes 357 with 125 gr Lee RF. Both my Henry's did not cost what one match gun cost. And the Henry is still faster than me.

12 stages in 210 seconds. That an average of 17.5 seconds per stage. That's pretty darn good. Most Henry's can't shoot fast enough to generate those kind of times, so you must have a good one.

I remain convinced that 99% of the Henry bashing comes from their advertizing. If the gun were called the Harold or the Hank or even The Golden Boy Company, most of the criticism would not exist. Instead, they have tried to make a connection betwixt themselves and gun made in 1860, and anyone with any knowledge of history that such a connection does not exist. And believe me, a lot of people think the connection is real.

I was in a gunshop with my brother about a year ago, and he picked up a Henry Big Boy and commented that he wanted to get one. I turned around, picked up an Uberti Henry, handed it to him and said if he wants a Henry, he should get one of these. He then asked me, "What did Henry do, liscence the old design to the Italians to make it for them?"

Long story short, their deceptive ads really annoy a lot of people. Partly becuase they are so blantantly false, and partly because they work.

Got a good friend that shoots a Henry Big Boy and likes it. He had to do some smoothing and stoning when he first got it, but he's at least as fast as the '92 shooters with it. He's usually in the middle of the pack for total time. I don't personally find the rifle that ugly, but each to their own. If the shooter is happy with what he or she is shooting, then it's none of my business anyway.

Shakey

I passed on the Big Boy without researching it at all, just because I had it in my head what a Cowboy rifle should look like, and I didn't think that was it. :unsure:

Well, if we're just collecting data (so that we don't rile up the "bashing a company" crowd), a new shooter was at our "practice" match yesterday, with a .45 Colt Big Boy. At least he made it though the first 4 stages. Fifth stage, though, it jammed and left 8 in the tube.

We'll see how he or the company addresses the problem.

Good luck, GJ

Not riled up at all...learned early on in life from one 70 year old tough-arse former sailor who was my boss at the time "If your gonna come into my ^%$# office with a &^%$ compliant ya better offer up a &^%$ solution! Now get you a## outta hear until ya figger it out"

He had a point :lol:

Not riled up at all...learned early on in life from one 70 year old tough-arse former sailor who was my boss at the time "If your gonna come into my ^%$# office with a &^%$ compliant ya better offer up a &^%$ solution! Now get you a## outta hear until ya figger it out"

Yep, and in most things I complain about, I've got a solution or two to offer up. Since I don't own one, and don't want to work on one, I don't have a suggested solution this time (well, yes I do, but it involves not getting the gun in the first place cause there ARE LOTS of SASS gunsmiths who won't work on one).

And, how about watching out for the mistake of beating the messenger? We are just reporting facts here, and potential buyers are plenty free to make their own decisions.

Good luck, GJ

Not complaining, not bashing, just stating a fact. I felt sorry for him!

Yep, and in most things I complain about, I've got a solution or two to offer up. Since I don't own one, and don't want to work on one, I don't have a suggested solution this time (well, yes I do, but it involves not getting the gun in the first place cause there ARE LOTS of SASS gunsmiths who won't work on one).

And, how about watching out for the mistake of beating the messenger? We are just reporting facts here, and potential buyers are plenty free to make their own decisions.

Good luck, GJ

:lol: ... maybe it's how the message gets delivered....:P

...and I don't have a solution either. I have seen a pard use one - then as he got better move to another direction. Seems folks with 'facts' and 'experience' here on the Wire can go both ways. :rolleyes:

I just had the Henry's way before I started shooting SASS. I dont need a gun smith; I broke one of my Henry's and they fixed it for free plus paid for overnight shipping both ways had it back in four days.

I just had the Henry's way before I started shooting SASS. I dont need a gun smith; I broke one of my Henry's and they fixed it for free plus paid for overnight shipping both ways had it back in four days.

You know Danny as I was timing you on Saturday i thought several times......"That's the best running Henry I've seen".....in fact....it's the only one I've seen that ran smooth and did not give the shooter any problems....knock on wood you've got a real good one there....enjoyed shooting with you.

Stan - who thought the silly walk was fun

I remain convinced that 99% of the Henry bashing comes from their advertizing. If the gun were called the Harold or the Hank or even The Golden Boy Company, most of the criticism would not exist. Instead, they have tried to make a connection betwixt themselves and gun made in 1860, and anyone with any knowledge of history that such a connection does not exist. And believe me, a lot of people think the connection is real.

I was in a gunshop with my brother about a year ago, and he picked up a Henry Big Boy and commented that he wanted to get one. I turned around, picked up an Uberti Henry, handed it to him and said if he wants a Henry, he should get one of these. He then asked me, "What did Henry do, liscence the old design to the Italians to make it for them?"

Long story short, their deceptive ads really annoy a lot of people. Partly becuase they are so blantantly false, and partly because they work.

You want the name of a company that has tried to connect it's name to a different organization--how about Springfield Armory. The current company isn't connected to the US government's Springfield Armory in anyway, but you wouldn't know it from their advertizing. By the way, I have a Springfield Armory 1911 and love it. I am about to buy one of their XD models instead of a Glock.

At least the Henry Company makes its stuff in the United States.

We had a guy at our shoot yesterday who was using a Henry. The gun made it through, but seemed to hang up on the last shot the last four stages. He cleared the hangups but they were noticable.

I personally would like to see something American made to compete against uberti. The exchange rate has made their rifles downright expensive. If Henry could come up with a competitive rifle, I would really consider it. Then again I don't have the history some of you have and I am partial to American made. I just want a rifle that works.

UPDATE: I realize some of you are going to say Marlin is American made and it is, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about the Marlins built post Remington takeover.

[

Sounds like a BM1 I worked for as young lad. Meanest SOB I ever knew, but he kept us squared away! :lol:

PS: Eat off the good china, drink good whiskey, and avoid ugly rifles! ;)

Not complaining, not bashing, just stating a fact. I felt sorry for him!

NOZ, If this poor guy was trying to shoot one of the "NEW" Marlin POSs, then you could feel sorry for him. We had a new shooter show up with a new Marlin that wouldn't load a single round without jamming. He ended up sending it back to the "factory" for correction.

Meanwhile, we did have two shooters shooting the ugly Big Boys, but they both went thru the entire match without a single hiccup. They're ugly for sure, but they will work better than some. Give constructive help or shut up!! MHO

Al

If'n ya had a compliant then ye had no complaint! :rolleyes:

The main PROBLEM with the bloomin' thing is that it just does NOT work well for what we do. I too feel sorry for pards who show up first time with one thinking they are well equipped only to find out to their chagrin that they are anything but. And that is on HRC. They have had years and years to get it right but instead they keep putting out a jammamatic hunk of heavy junk. And charge a pretty penny for it too. Apparently it is cheaper to smith the few that cowboys send back than to get it right from the factory. The vast majority sold just sit in safes or make a rare trip to the hunting fields.

I don't understand the "brain trust" at Henry. They could have made a replica 66 or 73 that actually works and folks would have flocked to the brand and all of us would be either using one or wanting one. But NOOOO they give us this tomato stake and never improve it. They lost me when they deleted the loading gate from the production models. The prototypes had one but they cheaped out on the production version.

And who in their right mind names a firearm "Big Boy"??? Puh-leeeze :lol:

If'n ya had a compliant then ye had no complaint! :rolleyes:

The main PROBLEM with the bloomin' thing is that it just does NOT work well for what we do. I too feel sorry for pards who show up first time with one thinking they are well equipped only to find out to their chagrin that they are anything but. And that is on HRC. They have had years and years to get it right but instead they keep putting out a jammamatic hunk of heavy junk. And charge a pretty penny for it too. Apparently it is cheaper to smith the few that cowboys send back than to get it right from the factory. The vast majority sold just sit in safes or make a rare trip to the hunting fields.

I don't understand the "brain trust" at Henry. They could have made a replica 66 or 73 that actually works and folks would have flocked to the brand and all of us would be either using one or wanting one. But NOOOO they give us this tomato stake and never improve it. They lost me when they deleted the loading gate from the production models. The prototypes had one but they cheaped out on the production version.

And who in their right mind names a firearm "Big Boy"??? Puh-leeeze :lol:

Post# 4 - call Henry and explain it too them if it's such a problem - be the one to bring this issue to them, tell 'em your thoughts, and how they could do better, what they can do to make it better for our game. Until then ~ nothin' but warm wind wafting in the air ;)

Anthony Imperato

President, Henry Repeating Arms

(201) 858-4400

anthony@henryrepeating.com

They do good things for folks too...

http://www.cbrbull.com/news.html?n_id=461344

Howdy

HK, I agree with you 100%. It is the false and misleading advertising that bothers me about the Henry company. And the fact that the uninformed get sucked in by it. I really don't care about the rifle because it is so ugly I would never buy one even if their pants were not on fire.

Howdy

HK, I agree with you 100%. It is the false and misleading advertising that bothers me about the Henry company. And the fact that the uninformed get sucked in by it. I really don't care about the rifle because it is so ugly I would never buy one even if their pants were not on fire.

:rolleyes:

http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/sarah-gets-her-gun/Content?oid=1013597

Henry Repeating Arms only started business in 1996. Imperato agreed that there was no specific family connection back to the rifle maker of the 1860s. “It was a name that was laying there dormant,” Imperato said of the Henry name. “We didn't have to purchase it. We just trademarked the name because nobody had the rights to it.”

and I even knew:

Firearms historian Tim Garrett put it more bluntly in an e-mail: “The only relation that current Henry brand rifles have to the originals is their name and the shiny brass finish.”

Not mine or any of the company's many detractors job or duty to communicate with them. Rest assured the rocket scientists running that company are WELL aware of our reasons for disliking and shunning their products. They would have to have been living under a rock for many years now not to have heard it all. The very sad fact is that they just don't CARE to do the right thing. They have obviously made a conscious business decision to continue to do the wrong thing.

And that is despicable.

Not mine or any of the company's many detractors job or duty to communicate with them. Rest assured the rocket scientists running that company are WELL aware of our reasons for disliking and shunning their products. They would have to have been living under a rock for many years now not to have heard it all. The very sad fact is that they just don't CARE to do the right thing. They have obviously made a conscious business decision to continue to do the wrong thing.

And that is despicable.

If you haven't communicated with them - how would you know?...seems the one who doesn't care is you. Enough voices and concerns expressed to the company MIGHT help make a change. So...really, who is being despicable? Seems to be the guy who just sits back doing nothin', complaining ~ :rolleyes:

Guest Texas Jack Black

If you haven't communicated with them - how would you know?...seems the one who doesn't care is you. Enough voices and concerns expressed to the company MIGHT help make a change. So...really, who is being despicable? Seems to be the guy who just sits back doing nothin', complaining ~ :rolleyes:

Check out the owners they have a history. ;)

I have already contacted them .

I thanked them for there support of SASS.

I have advised them of the issues with the Big Boy.

I also advised them that marlin has stopped making there pistol caliber leaver action rifle .

I advised them that America is screaming for a American Made 1866 or 1873 Rifle .

They said they would keep it in mind and look at the possibility of making a good American made cowboy action rifle .

Sturm pard. That's class man. Thanks for doin' your part. Now that we got Sassy Sunshine's new youth 22 levergun I am going to do the same.

GG

Archived