SASS Wire Forum

American Henry

Noz

12 stages in 210 seconds. That an average of 17.5 seconds per stage. That's pretty darn good. Most Henry's can shoot fast enough to generate those kind of times, so you must have a good one.

He Said 12th Match Not 12 stages :blink:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remain convinced that 99% of the Henry bashing comes from their advertizing. If the gun were called the Harold or the Hank or even The Golden Boy Company, most of the criticism would not exist. Instead, they have tried to make a connection betwixt themselves and gun made in 1860, and anyone with any knowledge of history that such a connection does not exist. And believe me, a lot of people think the connection is real.

I was in a gunshop with my brother about a year ago, and he picked up a Henry Big Boy and commented that he wanted to get one. I turned around, picked up an Uberti Henry, handed it to him and said if he wants a Henry, he should get one of these. He then asked me, "What did Henry do, liscence the old design to the Italians to make it for them?"

Long story short, their deceptive ads really annoy a lot of people. Partly becuase they are so blantantly false, and partly because they work.

SASS is hurting for support and funds .

The Henry Company supports SASS even tho Its members talk $hit about them.

And gives them just about Zero support.

Look at Springfield Armory and meany other Company's .

Including Harley Davidson wen they was owned by AMF .

Polaris made Indian Motor Cycles .

Chris-Craft Boats .

Any one who Owns the name of what ever Company .

Will try to link the Heritage to there product .

If You dont like the Henry Dont Buy It .

But other than saying to some one, Its not a good gun for our sport.

You are holding a grudge to Henry ,That you have no right to hold.

If you was a honest person ,you would say to your self.

You would have tried to make the Henry link too, If you owned the rights to the Henry Name .

I dont have a Henry, But I think We as members of SASS need to give Henry a brake, and let them be. :rolleyes:

Not mine or any of the company's many detractors job or duty to communicate with them. Rest assured the rocket scientists running that company are WELL aware of our reasons for disliking and shunning their products. They would have to have been living under a rock for many years now not to have heard it all. The very sad fact is that they just don't CARE to do the right thing. They have obviously made a conscious business decision to continue to do the wrong thing.

And that is despicable.

What is the wrong thing they are doing and what could make you happy?

I have watched them support SASS over the years. That SASS members treat them like dog do is what is really despicable. I mean what have they ever done to you anyway.

Right now their guns aren't the best for our game, but the guns that are have left the market or are pricing themselves out of the market. We need to support American manufacturers, even if they are from New York.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Italians and I like the Brazilians, but right now we really need to support Americans.

SASS is hurting for support and funds .

The Henry Company supports SASS even tho Its members talk $hit about them.

And gives them just about Zero support.

Look at Springfield Armory and meany other Company's .

Including Harley Davidson wen they was owned by AMF .

Polaris made Indian Motor Cycles .

Chris-Craft Boats .

Any one who Owns the name of what ever Company .

Will try to link the Heritage to there product .

If You dont like the Henry Dont Buy It .

But other than saying to some one, Its not a good gun for our sport.

You are holding a grudge to Henry ,That you have no right to hold.

If you was a honest person ,you would say to your self.

You would have tried to make the Henry link too, If you owned the rights to the Henry Name .

I dont have a Henry, But I think We as members of SASS need to give Henry a brake, and let them be. :rolleyes:

Lots of truth in this. And I agree...let them be.

Actually, the Henry line up of rifles, including the Big Boy is well thought of outside of CAS circles. Read other gun boards and you will find that they have a loyal following. And the news is, there a lot more market "out there" than "in here." :)

Gee, GG once again you have allowed your personal dislike of me to cloud your mind and color your perceptions. Let me ask you pard, do YOU shoot a BB as a main match rifle? Of course you don't. You know better. You know that contrary to HRAC's misleading advertising of the BB as the ideal CAS rifle, you know it to be the absolute worst choice. Worse even than an angle eject Winchester 94. The BB is not cheap. That the company puts the thing out there and promotes it as viable for CAS is, well, flat plain despicable.

Once again you have resorted to calling me a name, despicable. Yes I said the company is that because of their practices. That you would call me that for pointing it out to prospective buyers is fine. You have the right to your opinion. But you doing so enhances my argument to folks speculating on buying a boat anchor and diminishes your argument. But then you have no argument since you don't use one for CAS now do you? Now if you did and did well with it, that would be a horse of a different color. But we all know that can never happen, don't we?

If HRAC would get a clue and start producing a proper CAS rifle why then of course many many pards would begin campaigning the latest greatest thing. Not holding my breath. HRAC saying they are "considering" it is lip service only I'm bettin'. And I sure ain't gonna hold my breath...

Meanwhile they continue with their misleading advertising and raking in the big bucks from poor pards who think they are dropping the better part of a thousand yankee dollars on something they can campaign successfully in CAS. Soon they find out they have been taken for a ride and sell the tomato stake at a big loss. I just hate to see so many innocent victims lose money because of HRAC's practices. That you would defend such is imcomprehensible to me.

And once again, they don't need me to beg and cajole and plead with them to do the right thing. They know full well and have known for years what they should and have to do to "please" CAS shooters. They just refuse to do it.

Guest Texas Jack Black

You guys crack me up, you drive your foreign made cars ,use your foreign made cell phones and watch your foreign made televisions and shoot foreign made guns and THEN you attempt to defend a pile of junk just because it is made in the States. :wacko:

:wacko:

You guys crack me up, you drive your foreign made cars ,use your foreign made cell phones and watch your foreign made televisions and shoot foreign made guns and THEN you attempt to defend a pile of junk just because it is made in the States. :wacko:

:wacko:

:lol: ~ and this coming from someone who doesn't even participate in SASS anymore...

I drive an American company made car - show me where to buy an American TV, American cell phone and I'll buy it.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

To All The Nay Sayers on This Thread: If You Do Not Own and Shoot a Henry,Be Polite and Don't Cuss Or malign an American Made Product That Supports SASS.I Put My Money On A Henry Big Boy 2 weeks Ago and Right Out Of The Box,It Was as Smooth a Gun as I have Ever Owned. Time Will Tell About All The Other factors.I Will report on Them. BUT Only Because I Own One.To The Other Detractors. I would Say to you. If you Do Not Own and Shoot One,Don't Be Cynical and Hateful To Those That BUY American made Products.If Henry Is Really a Quality Product, They will Persevere. A HENRY OWNER BY CHOICE. :FlagAm:

If Henry Is Really a Quality Product, They will Persevere. :FlagAm:

I guess that pretty much says it. If it works it will succeed. If not, it will go the way of 8 tracks.

I don't like their advertising method but the reason I don't have one is I've tried em and just don't like em.

That's the bottom line.

Build a quality product that people like at a price they can pay and you will probably survive in the market.

If it's not a good product, good luck on keeping your head above water.

I guess that pretty much says it. If it works it will succeed. If not, it will go the way of 8 tracks.

I don't like their advertising method but the reason I don't have one is I've tried em and just don't like em.

That's the bottom line.

Build a quality product that people like at a price they can pay and you will probably survive in the market.

If it's not a good product, good luck on keeping your head above water.

And There You have It,A Good Post By a Cowboy That Tried One.

He Said 12th Match Not 12 stages :blink:

He didn't "say" anything. We are "writing" on computers. He wrote, "shot my 12 match Sat." That is an incomplete thought and we interpreted it differently. It is up to the writer to write what he meant.

Ridiculous, Gunner? Come on man, you know you still cannot and never do pass up an opportunity to dog my cats. But dat's awright, I'm not here to win the Miss Congeniality trophy or try to not ruffle your feathers. Now please answer the question. Please. Do you now or have you ever campaigned one as a main match CAS rifle? Would you recommend one to a pard you DO like who is going to start shooting CAS? If the answers are no and no then you are talking out of your hat saying how great they are.

They are not. Monte, no I don't own one and you could not give me that headache. But I have been shooting CAS since May 1996. I have seen many a plenty BigUglyBoys brought to the line. Many a poor pard's first shoot. They think they have invested hundreds of their hard earned dollars on appropriate equipment only to discover to their dismay they have been RIPPED OFF. Their shiny spanky new rifle is totally unsuited to the game. Yes I have seen many brought to the line. If the pard overcomes the disappointment of it, the next time they show up with at least a 92 and the BUB is for sale at a loss. It is painful to watch and yes I feel sorry for anyone taken in by the false advertising.

I have only seen one shooter bring a BUB back for a second go. But he is older than me and I'll tell you how slow and deliberate he shoots: he finishes lower than me!! Even slow and easy the bloomin' thing jams and he usually leaves it in the truck. It is not IF the jammamatic hunk of junk is gonna crater, only WHEN.

Yes Lone Dog...ridiculous.

and you ask

Do you now or have you ever campaigned one as a main match CAS rifle? I have always said there are better choices out there for our sport Would you recommend one to a pard you DO like who is going to start shooting CAS? Refer to the first answer.

GG :FlagAm:

I am here to tell it like it is and warn pards who may be thinking about buying one for their first CAS rifle.

Don't do it. For you will be sorry and regret it. Probably more sooner than later.

We are not talking hunting or plinking here. This is a CAS forum. We are talking Cowboy Action Shooting.

My only 22 lever is a Henry regular model. It has been a gem. Got it many years ago when they could be had for $179 at WalMart. I was leery of the plastic internals but they have held up well. The Golden Boy is WAY overpriced. I like that blued octagon barrel "Frontier" 22 and will have one some day.

I truly wish the truth weren't the truth that it is but it is. The BB will just never cut it as a CAS rifle.

We can only hope they will make a real made in USA main match rifle someday. Wouldn't that be a hoot? There is no doubt Uberti needs some competition so their prices for 73s and 66s would have to come down. Chaparral had so much promise only to stumble so badly...

So is it better to a) keep snarky comments to yourself or B ) make insulting comments about a rifle you don't own yourself? Seriously, when you talk about poor pards who own a HBB, you're saying that they're not so smart to own them. When you talk about how ugly they are, you insult a "poor pard's" taste. Fortunately none of us is so sensitive that we're gonna let it ruin our lives. But for goodness sake, it's getting old.

It's not a prerequisite in this world to speak your mind just because you have a thought. Often times it's better just to keep the ol' pie hole closed.

Those who own them and like them don't care what you think about them. Those who don't/won't own them and agree with your sentiment, already agree with your sentiment. In either case, neither party needs the repeated snarky garbage that flows regarding these rifles. OK...perhaps the Henry Bashers Brotherhood likes to see this stuff because it gives them an opportunity to unload...again. Regardless, it's unnecessary tripe.

What would that problem be and what part do I have in it, GG? I'm not the one falsely advertising a "problematic" jammamatic to innocents. The solution would be for HRAC to pull their collective craniums from their nether regions but after all these years I have no hope of that ever happening.

I will continue to advise newbies to steer clear of the gun. You however are free to buy as many as you please. How many would that be? Less than one I wager.

Edit to add: Butcher I am happy you are happy with your BB. You are free to express your opinion that it is a fine piece of equipment. Please allow me and the other members of the Big Ugly Boy Bashers Club the same freedom. I don't have anything good to say about the thingie because with my own two eyes I have never seen anything good to say about it. It's ugly, overpriced, loads goofy and is completely unsuitable for CAS main match competition. That's my learned opinion which I fought for the right to express. I fought for your right to express whatever your opinion may be also. But I will NOT shut up just because ANYone tells me to or wishes I would because they personally do not agree with me. You BB lovers ever hear of the First Amendment?

I'm just going to say that while I have no dog in this fight-I don't own a Henry, I've never tried a Henry and have no opinion on them- I do feel the rhetoric about having worn the uniform is overplayed. I still wear the uniform and slog off to monthly drill, and I have my VFW membership, but I don't see that fact as adding more weight or credibility to my opinions than if I had never enlisted, nor give me more of a right to express them than someone who has never worn the uniform. The last I checked, one enlisted to defend the Constitution, not to use the enlistment as a trump card in online arguments. But that's just the view from my saddle.

Flame away, those who would choose to. I have a thick skin.

I'm just going to say that while I have no dog in this fight-I don't own a Henry, I've never tried a Henry and have no opinion on them- I do feel the rhetoric about having worn the uniform is overplayed. I still wear the uniform and slog off to monthly drill, and I have my VFW membership, but I don't see that fact as adding more weight or credibility to my opinions than if I had never enlisted, nor give me more of a right to express them than someone who has never worn the uniform. The last I checked, one enlisted to defend the Constitution, not to use the enlistment as a trump card in online arguments. But that's just the view from my saddle.

Flame away, those who would choose to. I have a thick skin.

Thank you for your service Doc. You missed the point I was trying to make: I fought for your right to speak your mind just as you did for me and everyone else in our great country, on this wire here and nationwide. Not intended to be a trump card or bragadoccio (sp). Just a mere statement of fact. No one here should be told to shut up by anyone else here. It's unseemly to my American way of thinking. That's what I fought for, the freedom to freely express oneself without fear of being told to shut my yap and stop expressing my honest opinion.

Oh, and my honest opinion remains that the BB is a stinker. JMNSHO. YMMV.

I feel sorry for all those that can get so upset over the choice of a rifle.

Like I said .

If you dont like the Henry Dont buy one !

I started out with Marlins .

I personally did not care for the gun . :blink:

I have always collected Winchesters, and I like the fit of the gun .

I tried Michigan Rattlers 66 and its a sweet looking rifle but i dont like the drop in the stock. :unsure:

I then tried a friends 92 and the love affair begun . :wub:

I currently own 3 92s , All different guns.

My quest for a CAS rifle has been filled by the Winchester ( copy ) 92s.

I have no Interest in any other Rifle .

I never have any thing bad to say about the guns You chose to shoot.

If I was asked about the Henry Rifle for CAS I would tell the Pard.

There is much better choices he can make then the Henry .

I Personally like the looks of the gun and I would probable have one if the price was more affordable.

I think Henry has been a very good supporter of SASS .

And most shooters spit in there face.

I think we need to give them a brake and ask more SASS members to call or Email Henry and ask them to make us a good American made Henry 66.

I have done this myself .

I received a very worm welcome and got a very good response from Anthony Imperato him self.

Henry Repeating Arms anthony@henryrepeating.com

59 East 1st Street

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Tele: 201-858-4400

Fax: 201-858-4435

OK, I am only going to post to this thread one more time.

This is why I will never buy anything made by the Henry Repeating Arms Company.

Henry History Page

A very nice, concise history of the original Henry rifle. Absolutely no mention of the fact that the present company has no relationship whatsoever to the original rifle. The name was in public domain and they simply picked it up for themselves, so they could trade on the famous name. The photo down in the lower left corner is of the New Haven Arms Company factory on Artisan Street in New Haven, and the figure in the second story window is probably Oliver Winchester himself. Original Henry factory my foot. There is such a thing as lying through omission, and this is a classic example. And it is not as if they are unaware how they are perceived. I contacted them years ago and told them how dishonest their advertising was. And I am not the only one who did so. Never made a dent. That web page has been up for years, still falsely associating them with the old Henry rifle.

I challenge anybody to present another example of such blatant dishonesty in firearm advertising.

You guys can talk about patriotism all you want, but I seem to remember one of the virtues the founding fathers promoted was honesty. I don't care where it is made, they can wrap them in gold if they want, I will not spend one cent with a company that uses such dishonest advertising to promote its product.

Henry History Page

A very nice, concise history of the original Henry rifle. Absolutely no mention of the fact that the present company has no relationship whatsoever to the original rifle. The name was in public domain and they simply picked it up for themselves, so they could trade on the famous name. The photo down in the lower left corner is of the New Haven Arms Company factory on Artisan Street in New Haven, and the figure in the second story window is probably Oliver Winchester himself. Original Henry factory my foot. There is such a thing as lying through omission, and this is a classic example. And it is not as if they are unaware how they are perceived. I contacted them years ago and told them how dishonest their advertising was. And I am not the only one who did so. Never made a dent. That web page has been up for years, still falsely associating them with the old Henry rifle.

I challenge anybody to present another example of such blatant dishonesty in firearm advertising.

You guys can talk about patriotism all you want, but I seem to remember one of the virtues the founding fathers promoted was honesty. I don't care where it is made, they can wrap them in gold if they want, I will not spend one cent with a company that uses such dishonest advertising to promote its product.

Sorry - your reading too much into something that isn't there. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your service Doc. You missed the point I was trying to make: I fought for your right to speak your mind just as you did for me and everyone else in our great country, on this wire here and nationwide. Not intended to be a trump card or bragadoccio (sp). Just a mere statement of fact. No one here should be told to shut up by anyone else here. It's unseemly to my American way of thinking. That's what I fought for, the freedom to freely express oneself without fear of being told to shut my yap and stop expressing my honest opinion.

I suppose it is possible I did. It wouldn't be the first. I apologize for any confusion on my part. It simply seems that the card gets played a bit much sometimes, and I may have jumped the gun, no pun intended.

Oh, and my honest opinion remains that the BB is a stinker. JMNSHO. YMMV.

Again, it isn't my dog nor my fight. I don't have an opinion on them.

Also, thanks for your service.

We have a shooter who shoots with us occasionaly and his Henry always works. But, likewise, he is not a speed competitor. However if a shooter got a prize for having the most fun, he would be in the top ten.

I have a Henry .22 LR calibur and I love it. It is as accurate as my model 39d. I have never had a problem with it and I like the way it looks. It is blue though, not brass colored. If I had a big boy, would I shoot it in CAS matches? Not no but H**l no! My rifle of choice is a '73 if I shoot .357 or a Yellow Boy if I shoot .45 colt.

The reason there are so many different rifles at matches is because we are all different. I worked at Cabellas last year and we sold a lot of those Big Boys and never got one back that I know of. I admit I am suprised at the number of pards who have witnessed problems with them. I will have to check back at Cabellas and see if any of the guys have noticed this.

As to the fact that Henry is not associated with the original Henry in any way. I admit I thought there was a connection so it is misinformation in my opinion.

Regards,

Cherokee Gambler

Henry History Page

A very nice, concise history of the original Henry rifle. Absolutely no mention of the fact that the present company has no relationship whatsoever to the original rifle.

Ya do know that Winchester aint Winchester anymore, right? Olin, USRA, FN, Miroku. The name has been bought and sold and licensed around numerous times.

Colt aint been Colt for decades.

Smith & Wesson stopped being S&W a half century ago.

Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, H&R all belong to someone else now.

If you shoot Italian clone pistols - those patent dates on the frame have nothing to do with Uberti, Pietta or Armi San Marco, but you don't claim they are trying to mislead.

How many companies have owned the Thompson name? They all trade on the fame back to the 1921.

And why limit it to just firearms?

Indian Motorcycles

Triumph Motorcycles

How about cars?

That nifty Dodge Challenger is made by Fiat; an Itialian company that acquired it from Daimler; a German company.

But yet their advertising is all about red, white and blue muscle harkening back to the 60's and a company that they had absolutely no relationship with.

Do you call dishonest advertising on them as well?

Henry makes brass framed (or look a like) lever action rifles - They took the name of a plant supervisor whose claim to fame was brass framed lever rifle.

They have treated the name respectfully, have supported our game and made every attempt to cast gun use in a positive light.

I would say they have made good use of a name that was sitting unused.

Guest Texas Jack Black

:lol: ~ and this coming from someone who doesn't even participate in SASS anymore...

I drive an American company made car - show me where to buy an American TV, American cell phone and I'll buy it.

Gunner, Qualcomm and Motorola for cell phones, Synax-Brillian for a quality TV. ,Vizio, Sharp, Samsung and many others are also MADE in the USA. Now that was easy. If you need further info where to buy MADE IN AMERICA PRODUCTS feel free to contact this SASS member who at the moment is not shooting at CAS matches. ;) ;) If you need a list of US made handguns rifles or shotguns let me know. and not that fake Henry. ;)

T J B

Archived