SASS Wire Forum

American Henry

Noz

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What now we can't bash or complain about a company just cause their here in the USA??? There's alot of downright crappy USA companies makin all sorts of stuff. Henry should know better than to put an inferior product out there for cowboy shooting when all they have to do is look at Uberti's rifles. If they're so intent on getting "cowboy" shooters then why don't they pay attention to what we like?

I had a Henry Golden Boy in .22 and the thing was a peice of crap! I sold it and bought a Winchester 9422 that's just great. I don't know where it's made and I really don't care. It's MY money and we do have free speech in this country.:FlagAm: Okay I'm done with my rant, thanks fer listenin', Rye

OK, I am only going to post to this thread one more time.

This is why I will never buy anything made by the Henry Repeating Arms Company.

Henry History Page

A very nice, concise history of the original Henry rifle. Absolutely no mention of the fact that the present company has no relationship whatsoever to the original rifle. The name was in public domain and they simply picked it up for themselves, so they could trade on the famous name. The photo down in the lower left corner is of the New Haven Arms Company factory on Artisan Street in New Haven, and the figure in the second story window is probably Oliver Winchester himself. Original Henry factory my foot. There is such a thing as lying through omission, and this is a classic example. And it is not as if they are unaware how they are perceived. I contacted them years ago and told them how dishonest their advertising was. And I am not the only one who did so. Never made a dent. That web page has been up for years, still falsely associating them with the old Henry rifle.

I challenge anybody to present another example of such blatant dishonesty in firearm advertising.

You guys can talk about patriotism all you want, but I seem to remember one of the virtues the founding fathers promoted was honesty. I don't care where it is made, they can wrap them in gold if they want, I will not spend one cent with a company that uses such dishonest advertising to promote its product.

LOL :P:D:):lol: Dont buy one :D:):lol:

Ya do know that Winchester aint Winchester anymore, right? Olin, USRA, FN, Miroku. The name has been bought and sold and licensed around numerous times.

Colt aint been Colt for decades.

Smith & Wesson stopped being S&W a half century ago.

Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, H&R all belong to someone else now.

If you shoot Italian clone pistols - those patent dates on the frame have nothing to do with Uberti, Pietta or Armi San Marco, but you don't claim they are trying to mislead.

How many companies have owned the Thompson name? They all trade on the fame back to the 1921.

And why limit it to just firearms?

Indian Motorcycles

Triumph Motorcycles

How about cars?

That nifty Dodge Challenger is made by Fiat; an Itialian company that acquired it from Daimler; a German company.

But yet their advertising is all about red, white and blue muscle harkening back to the 60's and a company that they had absolutely no relationship with.

Do you call dishonest advertising on them as well?

Henry makes brass framed (or look a like) lever action rifles - They took the name of a plant supervisor whose claim to fame was brass framed lever rifle.

They have treated the name respectfully, have supported our game and made every attempt to cast gun use in a positive light.

I would say they have made good use of a name that was sitting unused.

That says it all Pard ! Amen !

Ya do know that Winchester aint Winchester anymore, right? Olin, USRA, FN, Miroku. The name has been bought and sold and licensed around numerous times.

Colt aint been Colt for decades.

Smith & Wesson stopped being S&W a half century ago.

Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, H&R all belong to someone else now.

If you shoot Italian clone pistols - those patent dates on the frame have nothing to do with Uberti, Pietta or Armi San Marco, but you don't claim they are trying to mislead.

How many companies have owned the Thompson name? They all trade on the fame back to the 1921.

And why limit it to just firearms?

Indian Motorcycles

Triumph Motorcycles

How about cars?

That nifty Dodge Challenger is made by Fiat; an Itialian company that acquired it from Daimler; a German company.

But yet their advertising is all about red, white and blue muscle harkening back to the 60's and a company that they had absolutely no relationship with.

Do you call dishonest advertising on them as well?

Henry makes brass framed (or look a like) lever action rifles - They took the name of a plant supervisor whose claim to fame was brass framed lever rifle.

They have treated the name respectfully, have supported our game and made every attempt to cast gun use in a positive light.

I would say they have made good use of a name that was sitting unused.

With all due respect, each of the firearms companies you mentioned may have changed hands over the years, but non of them started up from scratch a few years ago and claims to be something that existed 150 years ago. Corporations being bought and sold is one thing. It has happened for centuries. But a brand new company claiming to be connected to a company that existed 150 years ago just because the name was no longer in play is something very different.

And I will limit my comments to firearms, thank you very much.

You have to ask yourself, why HRAC is such a big supporter of SASS. Well it ain't out of the goodness of their heart(s). Two reasons. First they had to in order to get their thingie approved. Never mind they had already been advertising it as legal for a year or two when it wasn't yet.

And second, of course they hope more and more people will see the banners and the support and be duped into wasting money buying a thingie.

Pure economics, no altruism involved.

The last thing I will say....

I hope Henry Repeating Arms continues to do great. Hope it can make a product to appease the folks who cry baby about it!

Happy Trails

GG

The last thing I will say....

I hope Henry Repeating Arms continues to do great. Hope it can make a product to appease the folks who cry baby about it!

Happy Trails

GG

+1

For what it's worth, my first introduction to the current Henry company was just four months ago. I knew of the historic Henry rifle. I was looking for a US made 22lr to plink with. I found myself on the Henry web site. I read all their web pages, but never did I think the company was an extension of the original. I was easily convinced after reading the info provided that it was not. Maybe I'm unique. I'm not to bothered by marketing hype. It is standard practice in most product lines. I did read good things about the 22 model so I bought a Golden Boy, which contrary to some expressed tastes, I think looks pretty sweet. The action on it is very smooth, it is very accurate, and has'nt jammed on me yet.

I dont own a BB. I like the look. I ca't offer an informed opinion on its suitability for cas. I'm not too fast, so it might work for me.

With all due respect, each of the firearms companies you mentioned may have changed hands over the years, but non of them started up from scratch a few years ago and claims to be something that existed 150 years ago.

Where is the claim - not someones personal inference - that they assert to be something that existed 150 years ago. I read their web pages before buying my GB but did not come away thinking it was the same Henry.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY

Shooters Handbook

~9~

Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2012

Eighteenth Edition

RIFLE REQUIREMENTS

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or

slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899,

incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer. Rifles with box magazines may not be

used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of rifle and ammunition to be used.

Please see the shooting categories for further information.

Was there even a rifle like that in that period :mellow: but then there weren't any short strokes too :rolleyes:

Where is the claim - not someones personal inference - that they assert to be something that existed 150 years ago. I read their web pages before buying my GB but did not come away thinking it was the same Henry.

Well, I must admit, I just went through their web site, and I did not find the photo of B. Tyler Henry that used to be there where they claim he was their founder. There was such a photo and such a claim at one time.

So they have cleaned up their act at least a little bit. I would like to see a small disclaimer some place that they are not actually connected to the original company, because clearly some buyers are still being fooled, but I guess that is too much to ask.

I was very impressed with all the charitable stuff the company has done.

SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY

Shooters Handbook

~9~

Copyright © Single Action Shooting Society, Inc 2012

Eighteenth Edition

RIFLE REQUIREMENTS

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or

slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899,

incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer. Rifles with box magazines may not be

used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of rifle and ammunition to be used.

Please see the shooting categories for further information.

Was there even a rifle like that in that period :mellow: but then there weren't any short strokes too :rolleyes:

There weren't Rugers either...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If any one want to know anything that they are doing are not doing,all you have to do is email the company.They have had a really good cowboy gunsmith working on the rifle trying to get it good for SASS.Out of the box the Henry is smoother than any of the others I have felt.The company is great to deal with.I have a little Henry youth 22 cal.When I bought it I ask the dealer to order me a stock,he would not,I called two other dealers and they would not.I emailed Henry and got a email from them and then I got a call from Tony.He sent me a new stock no charge no shipping.Sure I wish they would build a real 66 or a 73 are a 92 because I love 92s.I dont work for Henry,I just like the people.Just my take on it.

{They have had a really good cowboy gunsmith working on the rifle trying to get it good for SASS.}

That is nothing new they have been saying that for a least the last year or so.

Who ever that top CAS smith is he has been taking his own sweet time ,that or he's run in to some major problems to over come.

Think I'm off base look at what Widder and Adirondack Jack have accomplished with the Marlin rifle in that same time frame.

The other old standby ,The check is in the mail. YMMV Adios Sgt. Jake

So they have cleaned up their act at least a little bit. I would like to see a small disclaimer some place that they are not actually connected to the original company...

I understand their marketing objective. I wouldn't call it any more deceptive than most product marketing presentations. However, I agree with your suggestion above. I am certain that a small disclaimer would not negatively impact their marketing objective, which appears to me to appeal to nostalgia through the Henry name. That is basically what all of CAS is about in one way or another. Nostalgia is in the public domain and everyone wants to capitolize on it for sales.

No reason a brief part of the spiel could make more clear that they respect those that came before them, but are not directly tied to those that came before them. That being said, I surely do love my GB 22lr.

I know the Henry 22 isn't the topic of discussion here and I do not own a BB. But I've said it when this comes up time and time again and I guess I'll keep it up since the topic won't die..... I love my Henry GB 22. It's a great little rifle that I fully enjoyed modifying and shooting it with zero problems. Thanks Henry (whom I was fully aware is not related in any way to the original 19th century Henry) ;)

Archived