SASS Wire Forum

Do you have a righty and lefty

Scout Sonnor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two matched sets of Rugers. I used to care which 45 went in my strong hand and which holstered on my weak side. I had the 45s tuned to be identical, just like my 357s. Now I don't worry about which 45 I am shooting. All four shoot to the same POA with the ammunition I have developed. As I worked my way through the various Cowboy Special loads, I missed a lot, but as I developed the right load, the misses have been reduced. Fewer things to worry about. My goal, which I realize is impossible, is for me to not know whether I am shooting 45 or 38.

Howdy All:

Yes, I have a lefty and a righty. You could look at them and not tell them apart. Blindfold me and put one in my hand and I'll tell you which one it is just by holding it. That said, I shoot only right handed with strong side holsters. I shoot either pistol first depending on the stage. Why a lefty and a righty? I have no idea. :wacko: Just the way it is I guess.

Regards,

Mike :ph34r: Fink

Yes!

Most of my CAS guns have names.

Faith always goes in the right holster, Hope in the left.

Truth in the right and Light in the left.

Praise in the right and Glory in the left.

Faith & Hope are always matched with Rejoice (rifle)

Truth and Light are with Mercy.

Praise and Glory go with Redemption.

Don't have names for the shotguns (yet)

Some of my pards think I am a little OCD (guess I might be)

As to why --- cuz that is how I do it :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I don't have a left and right but I do have a first gun and a second gun. It doesn't matter if it is in a holster or on a table, one gun always goes first. It is compulsive for sure. It is also a valuable diagnostic tool that will save time and aggravation when Murphy pays a visit.

Olen

Nope, not in any of my pairs of match guns (1860s, 72 open tops, SAAs, or Bisleys). They are all alike in barrel length and trigger pull and shoot to the same point of aim. The whole point of having a pair is that they are alike in performance and feel. Assigning them an arbitrary "left / right" designation is pointless for me. But, I understand the importance of ritual in any sport so I respect those with other views.

Yes!

Regards

Gateway Kid

GK, who did I shoot? Rejoice, Mercy or Redemption?

Yep. Shooting gunfighter, I've noticed that a gun regulated for my right hand usually shoots a bit differently from my left hand. With Rugers, I'll maybe replace the Ruger medallion with the head of a .45 Colt case on one grip panel, or on guns w/o medallions, I'll use a tiny brass brad 'bout the diameter of a pin, driven into a pre-drilled hole in the bottom of one grip panel. The marked grip goes to the outside.

PIC

I have many matched sets of revolvers, most being sets of three, cuz ya gotta have a backup. ;) The one that ends up regulated somewhere between winds up being the backup for the set.

I have laser carved grips and my alias on one gun and not on the other. Alias goes in left holster.

Yes; even though my pair of Rugers and pair of Colts, look, feel and shoot exactly the same ( within each given pair) there are 2 main reasons...

1) I like the head of the screw holding the grips to be on the outside when holstered, not the end of the screw

2) OCD.......ya just can;t get anal enough....nuff said LOL.......of course reason 1 was already the explanation for reason 2...LOL......

"Fire" and "Brimstone" don't care which side they're on or which hand delivers their justice! The Sweet Bi*** and Pale Rider ride with the Stars of the Republic! YEEEEE HAAAAAAW. :FlagAm:

Yes!

Regards

Gateway Kid

My pistols serial number ends in football numbers of two of my best friends I played with. So I call my pistols their nicknames, Skeet and Bird designated to right and left holsters. Long guns are all named after ladies.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Yep... carry Heckle as my left gun (lower serial#)... and Jeckle as my righty.

BTW... can shoot and miss just as good with either hand... so's I guess that makes me amphibious.

ts

What I find amusing and amazing about this thread is the number of people who name their guns and the creativity of the names given. Pretty soon somebody is going to say they shoot Zeus's Thunderbolt and Thor's Hammer.

When I first started shooting I put even serial numbered on the right.. odd number on the left..

I made a set of hidden (blind) screw grips.. screw head goes to the inside.. outside.. can't see nuthin' but wood..

still even # on the right.. odd # on the left..

Had my grips lasered.. screw head on the inside.. with Alias on the outside..

Still even # on the right.. odd # on the left..

Lacey's Vaquero's went thru the same process..

Rance <_<

and Yep.. I'm kinda anal about stuff like that.. :blink:

Thinkin' no OCD tho.. :blush: just anal :lol: :lol:

Hi, my name is Rowdy Buckshot and I am AROC or anal retentive, obsessive compulsive. My guns are engrave with Rowdy on one and Buckshot on the other. I shoot cross draw with Rowdy on the left and Buckshot on the right. If I forget who I am, I just look down, and tuh duh, there is it. "Rowdy Buckshot". Do they shoot differently, no. If I have a bad stage I can always say I must have been shooting Buckshot Rowdy by accident.:lol:

Rowdy B.

What I find amusing and amazing about this thread is the number of people who name their guns and the creativity of the names given. Pretty soon somebody is going to say they shoot Zeus's Thunderbolt and Thor's Hammer.

Way back in the mid-90's when I first heard of CAS, I thought about getting two Vaqueros and naming them Gungnir & Mjolnir, Hugin & Munin or Geri & Freki. I later learned that some "white power" types use alot of symbolism from Norse mythology, and I didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

I am right handed have a left and right side pistol. The smoother action left and the rougher action right. These are out of the box Pieta Remington NMA cap pistols. When the lever latch came off the left gun and I broke out a spair unfired replacement the right gun became the left gun. Are you confused yet? The counters sure are when both pistols belch smoke and cover up the targets and I change leads shooting double cocking gunfighter!

Fordyce

Way back in the mid-90's when I first heard of CAS, I thought about getting two Vaqueros and naming them . I later learned that some "white power" types use alot of symbolism from Norse mythology, and I didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Hey... Scattered Brains... I really enjoy readin' yore posts. If you change yore alias... I could still pick you out without knowin' ya did it.

'Bout them Vikin' fellas... "Gungnir & Mjolnir, Hugin & Munin or Geri & Freki"... ain't never heard of 'em.... sounds like some of them positions a fella would find in one of them... Kama Sutra books.

Sorta glad I don't view lookin' at yore guns... in that light.

ts

Hey... Scattered Brains... I really enjoy readin' yore posts. If you change yore alias... I could still pick you out without knowin' ya did it.

Well, thank you, Tennessee. :) I hope "I could still pick you out" is a good thing. Sometimes I feel like the annoying little brother here. <_<

PS I'm not really sure what's so fascinating about my rambling nonsense. You must lead a dull life :lol:

Well, thank you, Tennessee. :) I hope "I could still pick you out" is a good thing. Sometimes I feel like the annoying little brother here. <_<

PS I'm not really sure what's so fascinating about my rambling nonsense. You must lead a dull life :lol:

In a crowd... I'm not hard to pick out.

Also... you can just track the pissed-off folks... normally leads straight to me.

Well... I just like readin' yore stuff.

ts

Yep......I do it because I'm OCD too. I could shoot either pistol in either position and it wouldn't matter but the guns are blue and I like the holster wear on them to match the holster.....lol. If I stage em' on a table I would not be concerned which one I put where or which one I shot first.

Yes, Highest ser number on the right. I use multiple sets of pistols and always put the high right.

For over twenty years, I shot a Virginian Dragoon 6 in modern sight 44 mag in right side and a .44 mag trad sight 5 1/2 in Sauer & sohn in cross draw (left side). Also shot Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2 .357 3 screw right side and a Hawes Western Marshall .357 6 in trad sight in a cross draw. It wasn't until the last 5-6 years I started getting pairs of guns. 2 SAA 4 3/4 .32 WCF and a pair of Colt SAA (1900) .38 WCF also 4 3/4. It's all good....I shoot them cuz they're fun and MINE.

Big Jake

Yes!

Regards

Gateway Kid

Shotguns should be named Fire and Brimstone

KK

I use a Silver Sharpie to mark my pistols with a L or R, just like my gloves and boots. Since it's silver it is not considered an external modification.

LL' :wacko:

By Golly... glad to see somebody else does that....

Red Sharpie here... inside my boot legs.. L & R... socks are the same way..

Tried to mark the soles.. but it wears off and I don't know which one to take off first.. :blink:

I put a big ol' red W on my left wrist.. so I know which wrist to put my watch on... -_- purty smart huh?

Red Sharpie on my ammo.. Shotgun only tho.. so I know which shell goes in the left barrel and which in the right..

Don't do pistol and rifle ammo with markings... I think :mellow: they enterchange.. ain't sure tho... :blush:

Inside my holsters.. yep.. you guessed it.. Big ol' L in the left one and a big ol' R in the right one..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I got this down

No confusion here :lol:

Internal mods OK right? can't see none of em' :mellow:

Yep......I do it because I'm OCD too. I could shoot either pistol in either position and it wouldn't matter but the guns are blue and I like the holster wear on them to match the holster.....lol. If I stage em' on a table I would not be concerned which one I put where or which one I shot first.

Hey CJ, ifn' you have OCD, don't you waht the holster wear to be even on both sides of the guns? :lol:

No. Both my revolvers are identical. It doesn't matter which side they end up on. This also means I have less to worry about. More to worry about = less attention paid to shooting = better chance for a poor performance.

Aye, once again, the good Doctor has a prescription! Although, I do have a left and right gun when shooting my Colts... one has a lighter action than the other, ever so slightly When I've shot gunfighter, I like the lighter action SAA in my right hand, the slightly heavier action in my left... it's an issue with my left hand... I seem to have less "feel" for the action, and the lighter action is not suited my "heavy" left hand. The 1851s... not concerned about it, all four are nearly identical.

Archived