SASS Wire Forum

Should video be used to call a penalty on shooter.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Had this happen to a friend today. Shooter was approached by a fellow competitor and showed a video of him apparently breaking the 170. The video taker/shooter then called over the posse marshal. The video was unclear as to whether or not the shooter broke the 170. They assigned him a 10 second safety as a result. This was 10-20 minutes after the fact as well. What do you guys think ? When shooter asked why nothing was done at the time he was told it was because was not very approachable. My BS meter is going off.

BY RULE - still or moving pictures can NOT be used to call or confirm a penalty.

RO II Page 12 The use of recorded audio, video, or still photography cannot be used to make or challenge the call of Posse or Match Officials.

My BS meter is going off.

Mine just pegged out. <_<

As already stated, "instant replay" is NOT allowed.

Any penalty call should be made "on the spot"...NOT "10-20 minutes" after the incident.

Shooter should have protested the call to a higher level match official (preferably with RO2 citation in hand).

Had this happen to a friend today. Shooter was approached by a fellow competitor and showed a video of him apparently breaking the 170. The video taker/shooter then called over the posse marshal. The video was unclear as to whether or not the shooter broke the 170. They assigned him a 10 second safety as a result. This was 10-20 minutes after the fact as well. What do you guys think ? When shooter asked why nothing was done at the time he was told it was because was not very approachable. My BS meter is going off.

This is insane!! I've yet to see anyone in this game that was not approachable when using the right tact and manners. And the posse marshal needs to go back to RO I school, or at the very least carry a copy of the rules. The penalty for breaking the 170 is a SDQ, not a 10sec MSV. RO I page 19, #21.

Any gun that breaks the 170° safety rule will result in a Stage Disqualification.

Which is not enforceable anyhow, it was after the fact, and even with the video it was unclear. Sheez, maybe the feller needs to take up videoing butterflies :wacko:

Jefro :ph34r: Realx-Enjoy

NO INSTANT REPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

If wasn't called at the stage doesn't count!!!

+1

This is insane!! I've yet to see anyone in this game that was not approachable when using the right tact and manners. And the posse marshal needs to go back to RO I school, or at the very least carry a copy of the rules.

The penalty for breaking the 170 is a SDQ, not a 10sec MSV. RO I page 19, #21.

Any gun that breaks the 170° safety rule will result in a Stage Disqualification.

Which is not enforceable anyhow, it was after the fact, and even with the video it was unclear. Sheez, maybe the feller needs to take up videoing butterflies :wacko:

Jefro :ph34r: Realx-Enjoy

I didn't even notice that one (slightly distracted by the "use of video" to make the call) :rolleyes:

Good catch! ;)

Jefro beat me to it.....the 170 violation is a SDQ and not a 10 Second penalty.

that being said, I think its time that SASS initiate a rule that give MDQ's to those who create and circumvent SASS rules/guidelines and wrongfully try to penalize other shooters in ways totally forbidden by the rules.

Maybe a SOG penalty should be assessed to those who blantantly did this to a shooter.

..........Widder

Let me also say that the shooter that was shooting the video shoots in the same category as the accused shooter.This is a VERY well attended and popular match. The whole things stinks.

Aside from being specifically dis-allowed by the rules (and for good reason) a video would hardly be conclusive evidence of breaking the 170 because it is TWO DIMENSIONAL. Things that appear one way in a video...

Calls must be made (and protests) at the time, not "after the fact".

Let me also say that the shooter that was shooting the video shoots in the same category as the accused shooter.This is a VERY well attended and popular match. The whole things stinks.

MDQ for UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT comes to mind...for even TRYING to pull some BS stunt like that (and maybe for the PM as well for being a party to the proceedings) <_<

Grizzly Dave,

About those great videos that you always post? Well, uh... how about maybe we just skip the ones with me in them from now on? Especially at any match we might attend together in say... NOVEMBER IN TEXAS? Ahhemmm... without my prior review of course.

I'll have my people call your people.

Sincerely,

Brother King.

NO WAY. NO HOW. :angry:

Glad I was not the shooter. A big ole fit would have been thrown.

Might use it to show the shoother what he did and to be more carful.

But the is only if the shooter even wants to look at it.

Grizzly Dave,

About those great videos that you always post? Well, uh... how about maybe we just skip the ones with me in them from now on? Especially at any match we might attend together in say... NOVEMBER IN TEXAS? Ahhemmm... without my prior review of course.

I'll have my people call your people.

Sincerely,

Brother King.

Not a problem, I have several shooters who have requested not to be video'd. I try to accommodate each request, or at least hold the vids for blackmail purposes. :D

Call must be made at the time of the violation.

Anvil Al, would that have been a hissy fit, or just a plain fit? :lol:

It would have been a HISSSSSSSSSY fit.

And the MD would have been involved also.

MD should reverse it. Or loose all creditability.

Hey If I deserve a 10 second penalty, No Problem......Just show me in the rules which rule I broke.........Because I don't remember You Might have had a DQ but your a good ol' boy so we're just giving you a 10 sec penalty.........But I have seen it called before at a state match.

Video is for entertainment purposes only IMHO. Its helped a lot of us get the message out and helps shooters see where they can improve. Using it as described in this thread is a lame-o move.

Also..

ALWAYS get a persons permission to post it..

Should have called it then. I had a stage DQ called on me for a cocked hammer on my rifle coming from the loading table, however no one called it till I was done shooting so there was no way to prove different.

I thought I smelled something!

:FlagAm: These kind of posts have saved my life and keep me in shooting condition. I have little time (or desire) for much cardiovascular excercise. After reading posts like this my heart rate rises so high and for so long, it is like running a small marathon. It keeps the clogging of my arteries down to a minimum. Plus, there is medicine for the problem. But, as a very observate cowboy once said - "You can't fix stupid". The stupid one is the cowpoke making up his own rules and penalities. The crooked one is the one using a camera to better their own outcome. My hat's off to the cowboy for quietly accepting such a ridiculus call. I am not so sure I would want to shoot with those cowpokes again. :FlagAm: Watch Your Top Knot, Knob Creek Drover

Total BS call. Mr. camera man should have been asked to leave the match. In this case the MD should be replaced for not even coming close to enforcing the rules.

As a shooter I would have packed up and left and told every person that I run into from now on to not attend this match until the people in charge were replaced. An imbarresment to the sport.

Archived