SASS Wire Forum

Ever had one of those days.

Korupt Karl

1. Arrive at the range....realize your pistols are on the loading table in the garage.

2. Didn't bring a spare set as you usually do....

3. Borrow a set from a friend...

4. Go to speed pistol and instead of a double tap sweep, shoot two sweeps.

5. Go to speed shotgun and 97 doesn't work....won't eject....

6. Speed rifle....good time for me, had a miss.

In the main match I managed to have several misses, a procedural and trainwrecks, but I had a great day, great posse.

What a great sport....have a total FUBAR day and still have a ball.

KK

Yup have had a train wreck or two or three.

Best one was a pard that got a miss, procedural and a MS on the first stage at EOT IN 2007. Drove 22 hours to have a train wreck and one of the best times shooting.

Was that today pard? There was a whole lotta that goin 'round our match today! One of our longest shooters, and most respected, shot a hole clean through the table at a stage this mornin! (Nobody got hurt, no guns were damaged - just the table, the rug that sits on it, and our pards pride!) Everone was missin' and gettin P's. I tell ya, if'n I hadn't seen your post, I'd a thunk it was just us!

PS, I spent the whole match wonderin if I didn't leave my garage door open when I left for the match. Thank goodness when I got back in the late afternoon, it was shut.

Just one of them days pard!

Two weeks ago, state match.

3rd shot out of the rifle brass goes up, falls back down and lands on the only spot on the carrier that would jam up the rifle... 7 misses

Some days your the bug and other days your the windsheild

Must have been something in the water this past weekend. I got to the gun range only to find out I had packed two shotguns...no rifle.

That kind of thing happened to me the first CAS match I shot - got to the range, unloaded my stuff & realized the 200 rounds of 45 Colt I had loaded the afternoon before was sitting on the bench in my shop. I was already going to have to borrow a rifle because I hadn't found one yet, so I REALLY felt like a bum. What a first impression that group must have had. The great thing about CAS is, I had people lining up to loan me ammo & rifles.

Now, I always carry enough 45 ammo for myself & someone else along with enough 38 to supply someone that forgets theirs. I also check things AFTER I have everything loaded as well as before, just to be sure I got it all.

I also check things AFTER I have everything loaded as well as before, just to be sure I got it all.

I think I remember saying something to that effect a few years ago when I could only find one pistol when I got to a match. A fellow loaned me a pair of pistols and when I got home and was unloading, I found the "missing" pistol (that at the time I was still carrying in the gray Ruger case) where it had slid up under the rear seat while I was driving. After that, I said I'd always check to see that I had everything and until leaving my ammo at home this weekend, I had remembered everything....if you don't count me forgetting my boots a few weeks ago when I went to Kentucky...or the time that... I have a great system! :D

After that I was out of the running for the $1,000,000 prize

Where do you shoot?!!!? :P

I have a big, long checklist I go over before every match:

Guns

Ammo

Leather

I figure if I have those 3 things I can shoot.

How about forgetting your ammo? I did that this weekend. Fortunately I have friends in low (loaded) places. :D

One time I saw a shooter pick up the shotgun to fire and then realize they had forgot to put shells in their belt.

Then there are times I've gone to the range and forgot caps for my C&B, or the time I brought my AK but no magazines.

Doh.

-Solo Sam

Once, forgot half the gun cart. Another time realized at the range we had boxes of 16 ga instead of 12 (store sold us wrong ammo). Once forgot .45 ammo in Tombstone. Do you realize what they charge in town????????????????????????????? Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!I think it was about $45/box. Thank god for friends with big bullets.

One time I saw a shooter pick up the shotgun to fire and then realize they had forgot to put shells in their belt.

Then there are times I've gone to the range and forgot caps for my C&B, or the time I brought my AK but no magazines.

Doh.

-Solo Sam

You've heard of a Nevada Sweep, a Lawrence Welk Sweep and maybe even a Rattle Snake Sweep but, have you ever heard of the infamous Early Dawn Sweep? Early Dawn is Madd Mike's lady friend. :wub: On a LOT of occasions she'd be in the middle of a stage and come to her shotgun, she'd SWEEP her hand across her shotgun belt only to realize it's empty. :lol:

Yeah, I have too...

When the market dropped another 634 points yesterday!

"One of those days"? HA! I have "one of those lives"!

But I digress...

At Sunday's match, I took .38-40 "revolver ammo" for my rifle - the bullet is the old Lyman design w/o a crimp groove and they were loaded with smokeless, so when loaded into my Marlin, they would telescope back into the case on recoil. I somehow made it through the first stage, then was granted not one, but two re-shoots on the second stage, shooting 10 BP rounds that happened to be in the box to finally get through it. Then I took a Phillips screwdriver and put four small dimples around the necks of all the remaining smokeless rounds and made it through the rest of the match. The next stage, somehow a weird all plastic 16g shell made it into my 12g '97 and jammed things up - the good humored cowpokes granted me yet another re-shoot for that one too. In the end, I placed 14th out of 34 whilst shooting gunfighter style in B Western with a pair of 18" Uberti Buntline .45's, placing ahead of even 2 of the 3 Gunfighter entrants, so I suppose I didn't do too badly. :lol:

A few years back, I went to a small match, maybe 15 people, with .38 spl guns and .45 Colt ammo, then ended up placing 1st overall with some very nice Colts and a rifle graciously shared by Judge Injury.

:FlagAm: My favorite was on the way to the shoot I hit a suicidal mule deer and mashed up my pickup to the point it was dead right there! So I called the highway patrol to take a report and my buddy to off load an small arsenal. Mr. Young Officer shows up as we are moving 4 pistols and three long guns. All were in cases but he was not amused, I guess he was just jealous. I never made the shoot but did get a new pick up! :FlagAm:

Archived