SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun 97: video by Widder

Widder, SASS #59054

KK's been asking me to do a video of a right hand load technique that I use on the 97.

So, I grabbed a couple boxes of AA's and begged my daughter to follow me out back on the farm while the weather allowed and here is a little video for my good pard, KK.

Hope you enjoy my friend.

..........Widder

Thats a legit question Taq.

I was in my 2nd box of shells. My very first try with 6 was around 5.20 or something like that. Then I had a few (4 or 5) tries with either a dropped shell or bad feed of a shell (op error).

Then somewhere around the upper portion of the 2nd box, I got it.

Targets are 2 stumps about 25' out and the stumps are about 5 1/2 ft apart. I alternate between each of them but I don't think it's noticable on the video.

Glad you enjoyed it.

..........Widder

Widder....I've followed your practice sessions and times all year as we've talked on the phone. When you were in the 5 second range and then you went sub 5 and now you are consistently running in the 4.7 to 5 second runs. Thanks for doing the video....I'll be watchin you in action at Guns of August in a few weeks.....hope you can win the speed shotgun again....keep it up pard.

KK

Thanks Widder ,

This convinced me ...you put the bottom round in first or the top one?

Jake: I put the bottom in first. If you can stop the video, you will see that once I move my stock from between my hand and my SG belt, I grab the first pair directly inward from my hand position. If you notice, my rounds are also staggered with the left side shell alittle higher than the right shell. For me, this keeps the rims from grabbing during your feeding process.

One other thing I need to mention. To get the feeding process in the video, the camera had to be on my right side. But, because I'm nearly deaf in the right ear, I can't hear the timer on my right side so I had to keep it on my collar close to my left ear. This is why I didn't have the timer in the video to show each shot. And its why I wanted to take the timer off my collar and show the shot splits.

..........Widder

Seriously, that is quick. I've tried shooting a '97 - looks like the proverbial monkey with a football. We even have a traveling trophy that clamps to the winner's cart for 97 train wrecks - it's a monkey with a strategically placed football! I'll live with 6 to 7 sec, doubles and be happy. You can shoot SG for me any time!

CR

Hi Widder,

I seen a kid try that and he kept getting in the way of the shell ejecting with the shell he was loading. He mostly ended up loading over the top since he could hold more shells and since the shells were in the pump hand, it self regulated to keep the loading hand from hitting the shells ejecting.

Using your technique, do you ever have a problem interfering with the ejecting shell? If so, how do you stop that from happening?

Good Stuff!!!

BJT

Very, very, impressive,

I see you've been doing some intense practice for GOA. :lol:

Great job, B)

Kid

Hi Widder,

I seen a kid try that and he kept getting in the way of the shell ejecting with the shell he was loading. He mostly ended up loading over the top since he could hold more shells and since the shells were in the pump hand, it self regulated to keep the loading hand from hitting the shells ejecting.

Using your technique, do you ever have a problem interfering with the ejecting shell? If so, how do you stop that from happening?

Good Stuff!!!

BJT

I've spent a lot of time on the right hand load technique. Have gotten some sub 3 sec. run for 4 knockdowns starting with gun on table and hands flat on table. A gun that ejects very strongly is important but mostly it's shooter timing. Bud and Spence have the shotgun locked down when it comes to stage to stage consistancy grabbing 4,occasional make up rarely hurts them. Colt Mcalister is a very quick left hander who grabs two at a time. Hells Comin is another good right hand loader.

I've spent a lot of time on the right hand load technique. Have gotten some sub 3 sec. run for 4 knockdowns starting with gun on table and hands flat on table. A gun that ejects very strongly is important but mostly it's shooter timing. Bud and Spence have the shotgun locked down when it comes to stage to stage consistancy grabbing 4,occasional make up rarely hurts them. Colt Mcalister is a very quick left hander who grabs two at a time. Hells Comin is another good right hand loader.

Ahhh Timing, starts with a t, like Talent. Probably also relates to pracTice. Looks like I need to join the T party.

Thanks Duece! I appreciaTe iT.

Regards,

BJT

Jake: I put the bottom in first. If you can stop the video, you will see that once I move my stock from between my hand and my SG belt, I grab the first pair directly inward from my hand position. If you notice, my rounds are also staggered with the left side shell alittle higher than the right shell. For me, this keeps the rims from grabbing during your feeding process.

One other thing I need to mention. To get the feeding process in the video, the camera had to be on my right side. But, because I'm nearly deaf in the right ear, I can't hear the timer on my right side so I had to keep it on my collar close to my left ear. This is why I didn't have the timer in the video to show each shot. And its why I wanted to take the timer off my collar and show the shot splits.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder ,...tried to get here soon enough to retract the question ,but I work nights and just woke up.............wow respect level has just gone up ....you aint from around here fer sure .......thanks for the help ,tried for years to do from other side and my coordination level was just not up to it ,

thanks again

Widder,

The slomo appears to show you moving the slide forward before the trigger hand goes to the stock. Are you holding the butstock between cheek and shoulder?

Wow.

BJT

Couldn't get on the computer today so I'm just now getting around to seeing this.

Thanks for watching the video fellers and the kind words.

I told Keystone during lunch that it'll probably get my butt kicked at GOA but eh, its been kicked before but I had fun during the kicking contest. :)

BJT: On the ejecting and feeding process to keep from bumping the outgoing with the incoming, I focus on slamming back fast to get that spent shell out of there tootsweet. Deuce is correct in having a strong ejection system. I've actually gotten a .40 split before without shell interference. Ironically, in this video, the 3 sets of splits were the slowest splits I've had in a month. I been gettin .42 and .43 thru the run.

Also, to answer your question about holding the stock between cheek and shoulder when moving the pump forward.....No. I keep the rearward portion of my palm/wrist area pressing against the gripping area of the stock which helps keep it positions against my cheek more correctly.

This technique works good for me. I've had a rough time trying to load over the top. I also have had some bad days where I was all butterfingers using this style. But the more I practice, the more consistant I get with having better runs.

I enjoy the practice.

Best Regards

..........Widder

Very impressive shooting Sir! So many of you guys just amaze me.

Badlands Drifter shoots his shotgun like that and I've timed him many times. When he was shooting and practicing on a regular basis his splits were .31 - .35.

Another local shooter who does well with a right hand load is Kid Hawkins.

Thanks for posting the video, it's fun to watch.

having managed to put in a shotshell backwards last shoot tying that fancy multi pull right hand loading thing--- I really appreciate seeing the video! :)

Widder; Thanks again for sharing the video. I hoped you didn't think I doubted your times....it was just that I wanted to see it and it was impressive. We are lucky in this sport to have so many shooters that are proficient with different guns and some with all guns and it's fun for all of us to see others in action. I hope that others put theirs on the wire.

I know I enjoy the videos that Dirty Chris puts up and you'all keep em comin.

Thanks again and I'll see you at GOA in a couple of weeks.....KK

I have a like new WIN. 97 super slick and fast but I am not. I have tried it a few time in a match and I drop more than I get in the gun.I get in the yard with 10 dumby rounds and try the differant way you fast guys do it,I have done it the best the way a young lady does with pulling to with left hand and two right for a 4 shot run. I drop a lot less shells. I love to watch you guys work.I try to shoot a S X S and do better with it but love to see you guys run the 97.Thank Widder

Widder,

That is pretty dang sure impressive! You wuz done before I cud see whut you wuz a doin!

I had to slow it down (10 times), yea even stop it in a few places to see HOW you do that so nicely. Here it is: :lol:

The slo-mo sound is head-trippin' :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived