SASS Wire Forum

Cures for Hangovers

Dorado

So does anybody know a good cure for hangovers? I spent sat. night on 6th st in Austin, Tx. and was miserable the next day. It was fun though. I'm supposed to be going back there for a couple of days so I'd like to plan ahead and find a possible cure. Of course I'm going to have to "test" some of the remedies... maybe even a couple of times. :lol::wacko:

Wisdom is the best cure for a hangover.

I got a bit of it and it taught me not to over indulge anymore.

Works great! :lol: .

So does anybody know a good cure for hangovers? I spent sat. night on 6th st in Austin, Tx. and was miserable the next day. It was fun though. I'm supposed to be going back there for a couple of days so I'd like to plan ahead and find a possible cure. Of course I'm going to have to "test" some of the remedies... maybe even a couple of times. :lol::wacko:

6th Street in Austin huh... did you at least get a tshirt out of the deal?

Both UB and Big Sarge are correct.

I usta follow Big Sarge's credo............now I tend to lean more toward UB's advice ^_^ .

The best answer to avoid a hangover is to not drink....

Easy said than done for some I reckon :lol:

G (who just opened up a Bear Republic Race 5 IPA :D )G ~ :FlagAm:

Notthing cures a night on 6th St in Austin. :blink:

Except another night on 6th St in Austin. :o:huh::unsure:

Don't ask me how I know. B)

is that kinda along the same lines as...

nothing cures a night in the big barn like another night in the big barn??

is that kinda along the same lines as...

nothing cures a night in the big barn like another night in the big barn??

Or da hair of da dawg dat bite cha .

(Don't EVEN think to ask me how I know dis, ok ? :wacko: )

Barring access to IV fluids, go with Gatorade or other electrolyte replacement drink. Get your electrolytes in balance and rehydrate, plus some Advil and try to sleep as much as possible.

Barring access to IV fluids, go with Gatorade or other electrolyte replacement drink. Get your electrolytes in balance and rehydrate, plus some Advil and try to sleep as much as possible.

+ 1

Gatorade helps but has a lot of sodium. When I get hot EmergenC is far better and has balanced electrolytes that will lessen the pain of over indulgence. But as far as getting bombed I just don't do that anymore.

Other than that a Budweiser and a BC powder ain't half bad. Well, it used to help! ;)

stick yer head in a bucket of real cold water :P

..eerr some Heinekens :lol:

It is believed that congeners contribute to hangovers. Congeners are a by-product formed during the fermentation process. In general, liquor that contains few congeners (such as quality vodka, white wine and gin) are associated with a lower incidence of hangover than liquor that contains a high number of congeners (brandy, bourbon and red wine).

Alcohol causes diuresis and electrolyte loss, so drinking plenty of fluids is wise, especially if they contain electrolytes. There is medical evidence to show consumption of fructose-containing foods (fruits, fruit juice, honey) decreases hangover intensity. Eggs also help, because eggs contain cysteine, which breaks down acetaldehyde in the body. Alcohol breakdown in the liver results in the generation of acetaldehyde as a byproduct, which does all kinds of nasty things to the body, and it makes you feel ill.

Of course the best treatment is avoidance, but... :blush:

Preemptive strike. Drink a lot of water and take a B12 vitamin before going to sleep. Part of the hung over feeling is due to B12 being leached out of your system by the alcohol. It is amazing how much of a difference that little vitamin makes.

Back in my Artillery days, I would take a couple of AlkaSeltzers before bed. Seemed to help. Certainly had a lot of opportunities to find out.

Never tried that one, Sam, but I had some similar drinks that I can not recommend.

Funny how up to and including a certain age, I can recall myself saying, "NEVER AGAIN", only to

find myself back in action the following week end.

Now if I find it comforting to drink at all, I prefer moderation, beer and one or two whiskey/water

mixes. It has been a long time since I have had a hangover, but I must admit I have killed a lot of

brain cells over the years. :lol:

Never tried that one, Sam, but I had some similar drinks that I can not recommend.

Funny how up to and including a certain age, I can recall myself saying, "NEVER AGAIN", only to

find myself back in action the following week end.

Now if I find it comforting to drink at all, I prefer moderation, beer and one or two whiskey/water

mixes. It has been a long time since I have had a hangover, but I must admit I have killed a lot of

brain cells over the years. :lol:

Something to the effect, "God, if you'll just let me live through this I promise I'll never do it again!" :lol:

Something to the effect, "God, if you'll just let me live through this I promise I'll never do it again!" :lol:

One of my fraternity brothers in college was much more realistic. I once heard him say (groan? moan?) "God, help me through this one, I promise I'll get through the next myself."

When I'm heading to bed and the head is spinning like there's no tomorrow, I drink about four big glasses of water. Drink until it's uncomfortable and then drink some more.

You'll wake up and pee about five times that night, but it cuts down on the headache for sure.

6th Street in Austin huh... did you at least get a tshirt out of the deal?

Almost lost mine. Does that count?

Anyhow, those sound better than the one I tried. A friend gave me a sure-fire cure. He called it a Prairie Oyster, not to be confused for a Rocky Mountain Oyster. It was a raw egg, Cheyenne pepper, honey, and some other things. Most god-awful stuff I've ever choked down. Didn't know if I felt worse from the hangover or the "cure". I'll have to test out some of those others.

Abstain??? :blink: What does that mean??? :lol:

I used to avoid hangovers by staying drunk..........

Archived