SASS Wire Forum

Fear the Man that owns one gun

I believe that statement.

However, I am a man with a safe full of guns of various types, calibers and design.

That said, I would be hard pressed to single out any one favorite. I chose all of them for a specific reason or need. But a true analysis of which one I am the most proficient with, I would guess that would be my first

center fire rifle, the sporter 1917 P17 Eddistone Enfield in 30.06.

That is not to say that the rifle does not have shortcomings, as it is heavy with a heavy but adjustable trigger pull, and works better with glass sights but they just add more weight. I guess that is more of a Badger shortcoming than the rifles.

On the good side, it is accurate to ranges that I can see and shoot. It has a manageable recoil, ammunition is available, I has a specific preference for bullet weight, but will accept other weights. No question about the killing power of the cartridge. The innards of the rifle were made to last and came off of a truck assembly line. Given that I could only take one out of the safe, I guess this would be it.

How about You?

My favorite is whatever I am shooting at that particular moment.

Favorite rifle would be my Marlin Golden 39A, I can shoot that as accurate as any with open rights. A close second would be my Remington 700 BDL left handed in 30.06, mainly because my great aunt bought it for me, haven't shot it in year since I haven't been hunting in years.

Facorite revolver is tough, have a Ruger single six in .22 I like alot, a Dan Wesson .357 I like alot and I like my RNVs alot too.

Fav bottom feeder would be my Taurus PT 99AF in SS 9mm, though I like my HK USP compact in .40 alot too.

Well, like I said, I have a safe full for various reasons. My game rifle, my Marlin, is smooth as silk. My 39AS

is VERY NICE, and my Rodeos and Californians are nice too. That M1 Garand and the 1911 A1 have a lot going for them, but I would pick up the Enfield. It just feels good. Probably take the 1911 with me too.

Mine tend to those I've had the longest....back when I couldn't afford hardly one. Therefore, its a tossup between my first gun, Stevens 410 and my treasured Ruger Single Six I bought in 1966. Many others with family history were stolen.

However, there is one contemporary standout and thats a scratch built by me 50 cal halfstock southern mountain rifle. Thousands of RB have gone down that tube since 1986 and have accounted for many match trophies and deer as well. Gotta to list it as the best and most fun gun I've ever had.

I know a few people that own only one gun. Most of them can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, and can't accurately tell you who made it, what caliber it is, or where it currently is.

The guy with a safe full because he likes guns, and who regularly shoots all of them, is the guy who knows how to use them. ;)

Just my honest opinion, from the statistics I have personally witnessed. Your mileage may vary. :rolleyes:

The other side of that argument would be to use the right tool for the job. I tend to categorize my collection by its role. Sure, having so many different types can be a hinderance when I forget how to take one apart every now and then, but I would rather have guns to fill specific roles than to have one jack of all trades. To pick a favorite, I would have to break it down into categories:

Home defense- Mossberg 500

Nightstand gun- HK USP

Carry gun- HK PSP

Zombie shooter- Noveske N4

Long range- Savage 10FP

Historical- G98 with unit disc from the Somme

Flame thrower- Mosin M38 carbine

If I were forced to pick one favorite, I guess that I would have to go with the Noveske since a carbine would be the most versitle in all situations.

Well, granted one gun will not fit all requirements, but given circumstances and times, one stands out.

For home defense, a shotgun would be hard to beat. For hunting and food providing a small caliber in an urban area is better. In the open, a larger caliber would be more to my liking. For belly button intimidation

the larger caliber pistols would get the call, especially the 1911. Loading and shooting the lever guns over and over and over is also filling a special niche. I guess the bottom line is "Whatever you have at the time of need" or "Never take a knife to a gun fight."

My favorite? Easy. Winchester 9422M. One of two guns that I can't imagine not having. The other is a Browning BT99.

I'm pretty new to collecting guns, so I don't have that many to choose from. I'm more proficient with rifles and shotguns than with pistols. Probably the best and favorite all-around gun I own is a 12-gauge Remington 1100 with Monte Carlo stock. Hard to beat on a variety of levels.

And since my collection is small, these picks may change. But for now, on a purely emotional level, my top two are my 1911 Colt, and 1860 .44-40 Uberti/Henry. Something about those that stirs my soul. One day I'd like to own an M1 Garand.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Fear the Man that owns one gun

He probably knows how to use it!

My problem is... ain't never just toted one gun... if I had three arms, I would tote three firearms.

Just goes to show ya... whoever made that quote above... was probly right.

(Always been a rifleman... not much good with a handgun...)

ts

If it came to only having one gun. I guess id choose my blackhawk in 45.

One of my rifles would be nice....but you can't conceal it easy

Shotgun would be nice.... but same problem plus not able to do one projectile with moa accuracy

So that leaves handguns. 45 is big enough to take anything yet can be loaded down for plinking. Can be concealed easy and if you do your part and know what your doing accurate enough to take on targets up to at least a couple hundred yards.

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

Handgun guy

That one's easy, my S&W model 10 snubby I got from a departed fellow Officer. RIP Captain Danny Farnworth......Speedway PD. :FlagAm:

BSD

I know a few people that own only one gun. Most of them can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, and can't accurately tell you who made it, what caliber it is, or where it currently is.

The guy with a safe full because he likes guns, and who regularly shoots all of them, is the guy who knows how to use them. ;)

Just my honest opinion, from the statistics I have personally witnessed. Your mileage may vary. :rolleyes:

That's my take too...at least in today's society.

I am hopin' that the Ruger GS Scout Rifle that is on 'layaway' fills the bill for the 'if I could only have one rifle'...but even the little 22 10/22 is so versatile...it's hard to choose.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I believe that statement.

However, I am a man with a safe full of guns of various types, calibers and design.

That said, I would be hard pressed to single out any one favorite. I chose all of them for a specific reason or need. But a true analysis of which one I am the most proficient with, I would guess that would be my first

center fire rifle, the sporter 1917 P17 Eddistone Enfield in 30.06.

That is not to say that the rifle does not have shortcomings, as it is heavy with a heavy but adjustable trigger pull, and works better with glass sights but they just add more weight. I guess that is more of a Badger shortcoming than the rifles.

On the good side, it is accurate to ranges that I can see and shoot. It has a manageable recoil, ammunition is available, I has a specific preference for bullet weight, but will accept other weights. No question about the killing power of the cartridge. The innards of the rifle were made to last and came off of a truck assembly line. Given that I could only take one out of the safe, I guess this would be it.

How about You?

Hard one Badger-

Guess i'd have to pick my ole Marlin 336 24" barreled thurty thurty!

Made in a GREAT year - 1950 (can ya guess wat yr i waz hatched?)

Hard one Badger-

Guess i'd have to pick my ole Marlin 336 24" barreled thurty thurty!

Made in a GREAT year - 1950 (can ya guess wat yr i waz hatched?)

I'm guessing 1843, Boss.

Am I close?

Good choice.

I guess if could only pick one it would be my Springfield 1911. If I could pick 2 it would be the 1911 and my Cody Conagher '73 wiith the 24" barrel.

Now if I could pick three it would be my pair of Ruger Vaquero Bisleys and my '73. All iin 45 of course!:lol: :lol:

Guess if the house was burning down and all my guns were laid out and I could only pick one to save it would be the Drilling my Grampa left to me.:wub:

Double barrel 12 gauge over an undetermined rifle barrel. Says 7mm but who knows.

Almost everything else could be replaced with the right amount of cash.

But you can't replace the sentiment of a Grandfather remembering his Grandson with his prized possession.

And it's a dang fine shooter too.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Yup. I've known more than a few of those, including some relatives of mine.

If I could take only one gun out of the safe it would be a rifle.

Now that dang Mosin is ugly as a mud fence but will work every time. Pretty much idiot proof.

Good long range shooter and good short range club if you have no 1911. :lol:

Yup. I've known more than a few of those, including some relatives of mine.

If I could take only one gun out of the safe it would be a rifle.

Now that dang Mosin is ugly as a mud fence but will work every time. Pretty much idiot proof.

Good long range shooter and good short range club if you have no 1911. :lol:

My wife laughs everytime I decide to sell all my guns but the one gun I need that turns into sell all but this one, and that oone and this other one etc.....and never sll any, and buy again the ones I did sell.

If I could only have 1 it would probably be a Smith and Wesson M & P 15 rifle. I could hunt deer with it(5 round clip), self defense, target shoot and more. My favorite CAS is my Taylor 1858 Remington Conversion. What a great pistol it is.

I'm like most of the gang, it would be hard to pick just one. My ol' Blackhawk in .45 Colt is the one that normally gets the nod when I'm packing into the hills. Of course, a little .22 rifle is always handy. Then again, a high-powered rifle is good to have along, too. And, of course, you always need a good shotgun. Oops, I can see I've already exceeded my limit. :wacko:

The other side of that argument would be to use the right tool for the job. I tend to categorize my collection by its role. Sure, having so many different types can be a hinderance when I forget how to take one apart every now and then, but I would rather have guns to fill specific roles than to have one jack of all trades. To pick a favorite, I would have to break it down into categories:

Nightstand gun- HK USP

Carry gun- HK PSP

Zombie shooter- Noveske N4

Long range- Savage 10FP

Historical- G98 with unit disc from the Somme

Flame thrower- Mosin M38 carbine

If I were forced to pick one favorite, I guess that I would have to go with the Noveske since a carbine would be the most versitle in all situations.

+1

Nightstand gun- S&W 686+, .357 Magnum, 3" 7 Shot

Carry gun- HK P2000 or HK USPC 45, with 10 rd HK 45 Mags

Zombie shooter- HK USC 45, converted to take M3 Grease Gun 30 rd mags

Long range- Remington 700 sps tactical .308, with 10-40 x 50 AO Scope

Historical- M-1 Carbine used in Korea

Flame thrower- Ruger Deerfield Carbine, .44 Magnum, with Custom made 20 rd mags.

Honorable Mention- Colt Match Target Tactical Elite (TE-6700)AR-15

also good for Zombie shooter.

Two Colt Pythons, One Anaconda,& One Diamondback,

S&W 686 Custom Shop Revolver with 6" square bull barrel,

Wilson Combat KZ-45, Kimber Custom TLE/RL2,

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum Buntline Dragoon

Ruger Single Six .22lr/.22 Magnum Buntline

HK USP Expert .45 and the two other HK Pistols mentioned above.

If I had to pick one handgun and one long gun, it would be either the

Colt Anaconda .44 Mag and the Ruger Deerfield Carbine .44 Magnum,

or, the HK USP Expert .45 and the HK USC Carbine .45.

Both choices provide an accurate handgun and a hard hitting,

high capacity rifle in the same caliber.

One last choice; My "go bag" has the M-1 Carbine with several high cap

mags and 5,000 rounds of ammo in a G.I. ammo can. I've even got a

bayonet for it.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

I'm like most of the gang, it would be hard to pick just one. My ol' Blackhawk in .45 Colt is the one that normally gets the nod when I'm packing into the hills. Of course, a little .22 rifle is always handy. Then again, a high-powered rifle is good to have along, too. And, of course, you always need a good shotgun. Oops, I can see I've already exceeded my limit. :wacko:

Pack Saddle, my old pard, that would be a great selection.

I was always one that believed that a man only needed one good pistol, one good rifle and a shotgun. I was always a believer in having a good "all around" rifle like say my M-14 in 7.62mm (.308), a good pistol like say my 1911, and a pump shotgun like say a Mossberg 500.

I stuck with that for a long time, but then I found that as I got older that I would reach more and more for my Marlin Model 336 .30-30, or my Marlin .45-70, more than my M-14. And as for as pistols go, I still love my 1911 - but I have to say that my S&W Model 65 .357 or my Charter Arms Bulldog is just a easy - or maybe easier - to pack.

Hope all is going great these days. Between work around he and the Legion, I'm as busy as a one legged man in an @ss kicking contest!

Semper Fi!

• 2 months later...

My hands-down single gun of choice would be the Dan Wesson 357 that I lost when my home was burglarized 12 years ago.

Of all the handguns that I have owned, and I have owned many, that Dan Wesson was easily the most accurate handgun I have ever fired. I had two barrels for it, a 2" and an 8". I could consistently bounce pop cans around at 100 yards, standing, with a two-handed hold, with either barrel. Yes, with either barrel. Yes ... consistent 100 yard accuracy with a 2" barrel! And yes, that was with handloads ... heavy handloads. But the same load for both barrels. I have never been able to duplicate that level of accuracy with any other handgun.

When someone says to me "If you could only have one gun", that means "serious practical" and that means a HANDGUN. If I have to choose just one gun, it will be a handgun every day of the week. Because to me there is only one serious practical use for a gun, and that is self-defense. I don't hunt, so I don't need a rifle. To me, sport is not "serious practical".

I would be hard pressed to single out any one favorite.

Yup

And ditto what Mark said.

Just about every time you hear of a terrible accident due to a child finding a gun in the house, it's the only gun in the house.

Easy ?! :unsure: Dat's what you think !!

Tied between my Colt 2nd Gen Dragoons and my 1911A1................

Or my (clone) 1887 Lever action 12 ga shotgun...and my reach out and touch some one 1873 Springfield Trap Door in 45-70.

Just can't decide !!! :angry:

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Hey Badger, my favorite? cowboy shooting, pair of colt's in 45 lc 5 1/2 barrels, highly engraved by Howard Barnett, elephant ivory stocks, Marlin 1894CB rifle in 45 lc 24" octogon barrel, don't shot a shotgun anymore but when I did a Taylor's & Co coach gun in 12gauge 20" barrels with exposed hammers, my 1911 auto is a custom Exxex frame in Stainless steel, a highly blued Rockford Armory slide and barrel and hand fitted parts, for Concealed carry I carry a Walter PPK in 380 cal the same as my friend "BOND, JAMES BOND" for hunting I carry another engraved Vaquero Bisley in 44mag. For shits and giggles I also carry a Glock 19 in 9mm when I wear my U.S. Border patrol hat LOL

Regards ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Browning Citori White Lightning over and under in .410 bore. Boy... is that thing ever sweet. And the birds just fall over dead of their own accord when they see that thing a-comin', I hardly have to even swing it on 'em. :D

Browning Citori Special Trap Grade III, thanks for all the championships, sweetheart!

I might have to give a nod to my Lee Enfield, 900 yard ViMBAR target is a piece of cake with that baby.

Love 'em all, but these are the ones that stand out the most from my personal collection. My favorite of my husband's guns (which I borrow often) is his M1A.

OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT THE BEST ONE OF ALL: Winchester one-of-a-kind .223 varmint gun with gray laminated stock which I received on my birthday and which contained a diamond ring in the magazine....... :D :D

It'd be a tough choice, but i guess I'd take my Springfield Armory M1A and my Rock Island compact 1911. They both shoot better than me, so I only have to do my part.

Favorite gun I don't have anymore was my S&W Model 19. Smooth as glass and I could shoot a skeeter off a hummingbird with it.

But times got hard and off it went.

Insert teardrop here. :(

Aside from the Dan Wesson I spoke of above, my 2nd choice would have to be my WWII issued 1911 made by Remington Rand. It has had fully adjustable sights added, has had the slide/frame fit tightened up, and is on its 3rd barrel and bushing. It's just a fun, very reliable little hand-cannon. It just has a lot of character. I know there are a whole lot of 1911s out there with much higher pedigrees, but I'll just keep my old tried and true friend.

My favorite? Easy. Winchester 9422M. One of two guns that I can't imagine not having. The other is a Browning BT99.

You da man!

Just picked up a unfired 9422M from an estate sale. Big brother to my 9422 in 22LR. Haven't shot the 9422M yet myself. That's going to be corrected RealSoonNow. What ammo does your M like?

If'n I was running out the door with Rosie O'Donnell and Janet Napolitono on my butte, I'd grab a family heirloom: a Colt 1849 Pocket Pistol that my Great Great Grand Uncle carried during the Civil War. Ain't mine, it's the Clan's, I'm only the custodian.

Archived