SASS Wire Forum

Fear the Man that owns one gun

I've a safe full of guns too. And, of the ones bought (rather than inherited - some of those haven't been fired), each was bought for a specific shooting game. The fellow with 1 gun may know how to use it, but the fellow with a safe full of guns with worn finishes or refinished (and the guns bought new) will surely know how to use multiple guns and will be deadly with whatever he happens to get his hands on!

While my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 is the one I carry in the hills, the gun in my safe that has probably seen the most action of any of them, believe it or not, is my Ruger M7722. I can't even count how many skunks, foxes, raccoons, and ground squirrels it has killed. (Not to mention feral cats.) I'm sure it's killed enough skunks to make my wife a full-length fur coat complete with matching slippers and handbag.

It's the gun that is kept handy to protect the chicken coop and to keep other unwanted varmints off the ol' home place.

• 2 weeks later...

Pack Saddle Slim -

Did you know that skunk oil is a sure-fire cure for ringworm?

Dang, Rancid. To be honest, no I didn't. I can't remember ever having ringworm, but maybe I'd better squeeze out a few ounces of the stuff next time I nail a skunk. Never know when it might come in handy. :blink:

Favorite gun I don't have anymore was my S&W Model 19. Smooth as glass and I could shoot a skeeter off a hummingbird with it.

But times got hard and off it went.

Insert teardrop here. :(

Hi UB: The S&W Model 19 is my newest gun. Got lucky at the last sportsman's auction and brought it home. Beautiful gun except for the grips which were replaced with aftermarket which feel great in my hand but just don't look good. Probably going to look for some original grips if I can find them (and can afford them).

Frazee.

Well, I've thought about this long and hard ever since reading about it in Skeeter Skelton's book back in 88. If you could only have 1 gun, which would it be? Having bought and sold over 800 guns in the last 30 years, I could easily say it wasn't hard to pick the same one as old Dobe Grant did. A Winchester 1890 .22 pump rifle. It will shoot .22 shorts--.22 longs--.22 long rifle and .22 shot shells, either CCI's blue capsule's or the older rose crimped kind.

I own around 25 .22's and my 1952 Smith&Wesson K22 Combat Masterpiece is my most favorite handgun and would be a fine choice for 1 gun, but I have to give the Winchester the nod as far as accuracy and range is concerned. It will kill any animal I need to eat and still be a fine survival rifle in case it's needed in that capacity. Ammo can be found most anywhere and is not too heavy to carry 500 rounds. Shotguns and center fire rifles not so much. Just sayin'

Big Jake

This thread takes me back a few years. It was the end of hunting season and we were preparing to haul all guns back to the house in the city. I had a Ruger O/U, a Beretta O/U, 2 BSS's and a few other excellent shotguns laid out on the bed. I heard a turkey gobble and knew that it was just a few yards from the front porch. I grabbed a gun and started out the door. I could hear my wife laughing behind me as I left.

I looked down and realized that I had instinctively grabbed my old Savage 440. I have shot it since 1972. It has taken hundreds of dove, quail, ducks, geese, pheasants and a few feral hogs and a single deer. It has survived two building fires and more salt water marsh exposure than I would care to mention.

But I wasn't going to a gun show, I was going to go kill something.

Hi UB: The S&W Model 19 is my newest gun. Got lucky at the last sportsman's auction and brought it home. Beautiful gun except for the grips which were replaced with aftermarket which feel great in my hand but just don't look good. Probably going to look for some original grips if I can find them (and can afford them).

Frazee.

I think I might have a pair of originals, lemme look around.

Well, I've thought about this long and hard ever since reading about it in Skeeter Skelton's book back in 88. If you could only have 1 gun, which would it be? Having bought and sold over 800 guns in the last 30 years, I could easily say it wasn't hard to pick the same one as old Dobe Grant did. A Winchester 1890 .22 pump rifle. It will shoot .22 shorts--.22 longs--.22 long rifle and .22 shot shells, either CCI's blue capsule's or the older rose crimped kind.

I own around 25 .22's and my 1952 Smith&Wesson K22 Combat Masterpiece is my most favorite handgun and would be a fine choice for 1 gun, but I have to give the Winchester the nod as far as accuracy and range is concerned. It will kill any animal I need to eat and still be a fine survival rifle in case it's needed in that capacity. Ammo can be found most anywhere and is not too heavy to carry 500 rounds. Shotguns and center fire rifles not so much. Just sayin'

Big Jake

When I first saw this post, I started to write a response that would have been very similar to yours. Just substitute Rem 550-a semi-auto for Win 1890 pump.

It will cycle anything you can drop down the tube and hits right where you point it.

I paid $21.50 for it at Vic's pawn shop in Galveston, TX in 1961.

That was written by a person that only owned one gun....

Only a fool would bristle up against most of us with all our hardware....

My Marlin .22 mag would be my choice if I had to choose only one. Deadly accurate, can kill anything that walks, crawls, or slithers in North America with proper shot placement, as fail-safe a gun as was ever made, and I can carry ten times the amount of ammo for it that I could with any large caliber weapon. No matter how many guns you have in a safe, only one can be used effectively at one time, with a few exceptions of two-handed pistoleros. Me and my 'Maggie" are a force to be reckoned with if need be. ;)

Bodine

I Have One Gun! ... I have one gun over here and one gun over there and one gun behind this and one gun behind that and on under this oh yea and on tucked there and this other one .... i can go on .... or could I ......

About the skunk oil curing ringworm:

I was raised on a farm/ranch in Montana that was virtually surrounded by the Ft. Belknap indian reservation. Needless to say, we got along fine with the indians. My cousin came to spend a summer with us, and he got a case of ringworm on his scalp. We took him to probably five or six doctors who gave him all kinds of salves and ointments that didn't work. One day an old (no longer working for us) indian hired hand stopped by. His name was Amos First Raised. When he found out about the ringworm case, he left and said he'd be right back with a cure. He came back with a pint canning jar full of stuff that looked like home-made vaseline. My cousing rubbed some of it on his scalp and the next day the ringworm was almost gone and in two days there was no longer any trace of it. All I know is that indian said it was skunk oil.

But obviously not the same stuff the skunk sprays that stinks so awful. This stuff didn't have hardly any smell at all.

Archived