SASS Wire Forum

Top Shot finale

George was irritating as all get out during the entire season...and then he puts family values ahead of competition?!!!!

A pard to ride the river with.

Attaboy George.

Yup, George shocked me too. All along I was rootin fer Brian Zinns, and I cant believe that a Camp Perry Champ couldnt hit the plates with the 10-22. IMHO he too did " the right thing" on purpose.

Yup, George shocked me too. All along I was rootin fer Brian Zinns, and I cant believe that a Camp Perry Champ couldnt hit the plates with the 10-22. IMHO he too did " the right thing" on purpose.

I, too, wondered about that.

I, too, wondered about that. After several shots one started to wonder what was going on with the misses.

Yea, that's a thought. I also did wonder if George meant to miss the Sharps shot....probably so, but it was close enough to target to wonder.

Bob Grooville, on 28 April 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

I, too, wondered about that.

+2

Anybody that can use a Barrett 50 BMG and make a one shot 1000 yard hit, isn't going to miss with a Sharps at 50 yards. While I applaud George's giving the final to Chris, I'm not sure that the producers are happy that the best shooter didn't win...

he let his bow shooting get in is head

man on man is a different world (iffen ya aint never done it)

Brian was flawless up till that bow in the shoot off

the bow was why he could not hit the plates with the 22

thats my story

and

I am sticken to it

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwwww fer george

what a man

I always liked George, but then he is an AF Sniper. When he missed the 10" square plate at a close distance with the .357 even my wife figured it out. In my book he's a class act.

However there were a lot of good shooters in that group. but what I really liked was the creativity in setting up the stages. I want some of those exploding targets! :)

While I applaud George's giving the final to Chris, I'm not sure that the producers are happy that the best shooter didn't win...

Are you kidding? If the producers cared about the best shooter winning, then they wouldn't use a system where the contestants vote each other into elimination. It always ends up with a chummy group of guys voting for the same people every time regardless of performance just because they don't like them. How many times did Jamie perform well and still get sent to elimination? Same with Kelly last season? All the producers care about is ratings, and a straight up competition isn't going to draw viewers.... drama will.

As far as George giving the final to Chris, as nice of a gesture as it was, he sure made it real obvious that he did it on purpose. Basically says that he wanted to let his friend win but didn't want anyone to think he wasn't the best shooter.

It's hard to say anything positive of George, even understanding what he might have done in the end. He was an immature peacock and an embarrassment to his military branch. If one of my Officers had represented our department as George did the Air Force, my boot would have been placed in a painful orifice. ;) The right shooter won in my opinion!

BSD

I liked him even before the finale. Frankly, I felt he did the Air Force, snipers and the military in general proud. Was he cocky, maybe, but he could back up his words. Is that cocky or confident. I say confident...and outspoken. I think alot of what he said was meant to be humorous anyway.

Positive things to say about George:

1000 yd shot first shot.

Made the final 3

Air Force Sniper

Won the crane drop even though he didn't want to do it at all

Put his friend ahead of himself (I think he'd have won the whole thing and the $100K)

Can any of us honestly say we would have been so selfless?

Once again - I have to disagree.

Throwing a competition shows zero class - an honorable person gives their all, all the time.

Win or lose - they do so straight up.

Survivor style voting and deliberate returns to elimination are part of the game, and since the folks playing the game did not write the rules, they would be foolish to not "exploit" the rules when appropriate.

But, George did not simply game the rules, He CHEATED.

Whether to benefit himself or to advance someone else - what he did was wrong.

Or to put it in Cowboy parlance - Possum Skinner and Creeker are shooting Gunfighter at EOT.

Possum has been beating Creeker the entire match, picking up a few rank points here, a few rank points there.

But then out of nowhere, Creeker has a good stage - Possum has a rough one.

And all of Creekers buddies that can out shoot Creeker any day of the week decide to adjust their shooting to place as many rank points as possible between Creeker and Possum.

Honorable? To be commended? No, it is cheating.

And George did exactly that.

I could not even watch the show. What was ask of the people that was interviewed for the next show.They want it to be a show that has a bunch of drama. They did not want the best shooters.

Once again - I have to disagree.

Throwing a competition shows zero class - an honorable person gives their all, all the time.

Win or lose - they do so straight up.

Survivor style voting and deliberate returns to elimination are part of the game, and since the folks playing the game did not write the rules, they would be foolish to not "exploit" the rules when appropriate.

But, George did not simply game the rules, He CHEATED.

Whether to benefit himself or to advance someone else - what he did was wrong.

Or to put it in Cowboy parlance - Possum Skinner and Creeker are shooting Gunfighter at EOT.

Possum has been beating Creeker the entire match, picking up a few rank points here, a few rank points there.

But then out of nowhere, Creeker has a good stage - Possum has a rough one.

And all of Creekers buddies that can out shoot Creeker any day of the week decide to adjust their shooting to place as many rank points as possible between Creeker and Possum.

Honorable? To be commended? No, it is cheating.

And George did exactly that.

Danged Creeker, I gota meet you some time! George was a pice of c**p. I'm glad someone else has the guts to say it.

But I am glad Chris won.

RCD

Ruined the whole dang season for me. Couldn't stand George. I think George, Brian and Joe were in on it so Chris would win.

Not sure I'm gonna watch it anymore.

CPK

Ruined the whole dang season for me. Couldn't stand George. I think George, Brian and Joe were in on it so Chris would win.

Not sure I'm gonna watch it anymore.

CPK

Same here. If they have another season, unless they change things I'm not going to bother watching.

Seeing as how they (Bullseye Shooters) shoot "Slow Fire" at 50 yards one-handed with a .22 and a .45 and seeing as how the X-ring is 1.7" diameter it looks a little odd to miss plates at the distance they were.

Randy

Well..I watched the show again this season. If it wasnt for the drama, the show would not be on the air. Trust me, its got nothing to do with who is the "top shooter" Its entertainment, I just take it for what it is....sort of like wrestling...lol

Brian Zin mentioned that he got "tunnel vision" while shooting the 22. Maybe the stress did get to him.

One - on - one is a different type of competition for most folks and it can surprise folks.

I'm glad that Chris won as of the last four, I liked all but George.

But as they said what they would do with the $$, you could see a light bulb go on for him.

The show is part drama, part competition and a lot shooting.

Since I strongly support shooting, I will still watch it and encourage others to do the same.

This season well demonstrated how the "stress" of competition can get to folks.

Like the one guy who kept running around with the rifle rather than turn it over.

And Jay really showed how knowing how to compete can make a big difference. He was obviously self absorbed or he would understand better how he offends others. Even though he was trying to help.

But he sure understands competing under stress. He continued to do well in spite of poor mechanics and lack of familiarity of the guns.

That one challenge where the other guy was practicing dry firing (in the wrong way), he took a nap and relaxed. So when they competed, he was relaxed and ready, the other was tense, less accurate, and slow.

Then to see the final show where Chris and Jay explained how they chose their team members was priceless.

Creeker: I think yer takin a very narrow view. Some folks just have different goals. If you tell me you sit down with a 7-year old and try to beat them at checkers every time you play "Cuz it's good for them to learn that life is tough"....well, that's one approach.

Besides, this is television. Who knows how much of the season was filmed before the finale? I could be the producer and editors cut in George as the bad guy based on what they saw in the finale. Makes for drama and ratings.

I do think they gave the Navy rescue swimmer disrespect and it pissed me off at all the rest of the guys who had served. If any one of them had the guts to jump out of a helo in the middle of a storm to rescue a downed pilot or ship's crew (who are generally so panicked they'll try to drown the rescuer) I didn't see it. George would sink like a rock.

Creeker,

Understand and on one level agree with you. But, the show was populated with humans, the final four were all former or active servicemen... who, I believe, have a different code and standards of conduct than the rest of this sorry nation of ingrates. I think that George demonstrated just how much our Servicemen/women are willing to forego for each other and by extension, the rest of us. What George did was egotistical and yet, still, ABSOLUTELY the right thing, and I believe, in keeping with his character. In fact, given that a sniper's span of competence is finite, once out of that elite corps, one has to earn a living... he will have been far better served by demonstrating that act of human kindness than had he demonstrated the level of ability we were shown during the balance of the show.

I believe there was far more to Jamie than just "rescue swimmer", a great and honorable profession in and of itself... but there were points that showed he'd done other things in the Navy. (Just how many Navy "rescue swimmers" are stationed in Afghanistan)?

But... there were far, far more hours of being cooped up together in that house for 30+ days than actual range time. And while we were shown snippets out of that time... there were probably many things impacting relationships (both good and bad) that we weren't shown.

I think that the show is ill-served by NOT having a top cowboy action shooter to represent our sport on the show. It's apparent to me that success on that show is dependent on a pleasant personality, ability to make friends quickly, and shooting skills that are well-balanced between speed and accuracy. I do think that is one reason the 3-gun competitors have not shown well. While speed is paramount in their game, being able to make followup shots on a target actually works to their detriment. Back in the day... while I still held some dreams of being a "good" shooter, I practiced by shooting "speed plate" matches with my single action in the revolver class. It used to bug those folks no end when I placed... let alone when I'd win a stage! Seemed like their attitude was, "...I mean really, how dare a guy come to the line with ONLY 6-shots for 6 targets!" Let alone occasionally beating the auto guys...

But, really, the only big question for the entire season is... just which was that 1st day shot with the Sharp's by Jay on day one? Luck or skill? :unsure:

Yes, I'll watch season 3. And encourage you to sign up for season 4... who knows... you just might take home the title "Top Shot!"

what if

george really yanked his pistol shot,

that looked to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dam close to the edge to be 100% postive that is was a miss on purpose

no matter what he said in the interview later :wacko:

what if he aimed at the edge (on purpose), giving himself a 50-50 chance (to appear to be nice),

then going with the results delt him, be it a edge hit or a, close miss

>>>>>>long range cowboy gun like the sharps at 50 yards<<<<<<

my 45-70s' that I had, (two different sharps) and ( still have my 1- rolling block),

all three with standard issued sites,

I would have to aim 12 to 16 inches low at that range, to hit that set up!

I have let a buckaroo beat me in (Winter range) National Finals man on man shoot off, a many years ago

you guys gunna call me out

:unsure: I dont call that cheating :unsure:

to me? cheating is breaking the written rules of the game

......show me in the rules where it is listed?

the kidd, grew up to be a dam fine shooter

manatee, called it also

bout cutting room and editing to show whatever they need or want to

I like the show

I will continue to DVR it (help the ratings to keep a shooting show on the aire) and then watch it at my leasure

:lol: folks, mileage always varies :lol:

There is nothing dishonorable in intentionally losing to a competitor if a man feels justified in doing so. We all must look within ourselves to decide.

O K, I'll keep watching the show just cause it involves shooting. George said a lot of rude things about Jamie and shouldn't come out at the end as a "Hero". Unfortunately, the way George handled it, Chris can't really say he "won" the money. He was probably the most deserving of the last four, but if it was me, I'd always think I was treated as a charity case rather than having a chance to win all by muself.

O K, I'll keep watching the show just cause it involves shooting. George said a lot of rude things about Jamie and shouldn't come out at the end as a "Hero". Unfortunately, the way George handled it, Chris can't really say he "won" the money. He was probably the most deserving of the last four, but if it was me, I'd always think I was treated as a charity case rather than having a chance to win all by muself.

I agree, George hinting that he may have 'thrown' the match shows no class. It cheapens the win for Chris.

Oh, what the heck, I'll put my .02 in.

George was of no class BUT he is exactly what the producers look for. Big personality is a must, and just passible shooting skills. Without conflict the show would be boring to the general non-competitive viewer. They want a group of folks that will piss each other off and provide plenty of fireworks, I mean, Jay??? C'mon man! They turn down Evil Roy, but cast Jay. What does that tell you?

I am still watching but if they don't cast a REAL cowboy shooter this season, I may find better things to do with my time like reload ammo.

Archived