SASS Wire Forum

How Many Cylinders Do You Own?

It's Friday, I'm working on a mind-numbing project and need a break...

Had a beer-fueled discussion recently and the topic came up of things we own that are powered by internal combustion engines. That led to the question of what was the total number of cylinders. Answers were surprising among this suburban group with a few owning over 30.

For example, if you have two cars, one with a 4-cyl engine and the other a V8, that equals 12 cylinders. Add to that anything else you own like boats, motorcylces, mowers, blowers, string trimmers etc.

My total came to 15. How about you?

I'll buy the first round of drinks to get things started. :lol:

One of my V Twins is an ATV. I didn't count the twin cylinder riding lawn mower, or the single push mower, or the string trimmer, or the spare 1968 440 HP block I've got set back for future use.

but I have eight 1860 cylinders, 2 Black Hawk, 1 Smith and Wesson, 1 Super Black Hawk, 1 22 cal and 1 38 special and 1 1851 Colt.

Hmmm, that's a toughy, they keep popping up. The Rav 4, Tacoma 6, Stealth 6, Ford 3, Kubota 3, Cub Cadet 3, Husvarnas 1 each (how many are there anyway?, 3 I think), oh and the trimmer and the cultivator and the lawnmower and . . . my head hurts, forget it.

I have 6, 4 cyl. Pontiac Vibe and a snow blower and lawn mower. Lowest so far I see.......................

This outta be good - lots o' vehicles but shockingly few cylinders...let's count 'em up.

Cars:

1983 Mazda RX-7 - rotary engine = 0 cylinders

1985 Mazda RX-7 - rotary engine = 0 cylinders

another '85 RX-7 rotary engine = 0 cylinders

1991 Mazda RX-7 - rotary engine = 0 cylinders

1994 Mazda RX-7 - rotary engine = 0 cylinders

2004 Mazda RX-8 - rotary engine = 0 cylinders

2010 Honda Insight hybrid = 4 cylinders

That is 7 cars, 4 cylinders :lol:

Motorcycles:

1970 BMW R75/5 = 2 cylinders

1974 Kawasaki H2 750 "Mach IV" = 3 cylinders

2005 Kawasaki z750S = 4 cylinders

That 3 motorcycles, 9 cylinders

13. Not counting the lawn equipment and the shootin' irons.

If you count the R/C cars, 29. Without them 24.

Very shortly will trade in one of the cars. Will lose 4 but gain 6. Strange thing is the new V6 is rated as better mpg than the old I4. BTW the R/C cars don't use gasoline but run very well on 85% nitromethane. Put out better than 5 hp per cubic inch at 35,000 rpm. If my Alfa Romeo put out the same power ratio, it's have more than 600 hp. Scary.

Nitromethane? At 80 cubic inches my twin-turbo '94 RX-7 also makes about 5 hp (gross) per cubic inch, nets 4.1 hp/cu. in. to the rear wheels on the dynamometer at 7,200 RPM ...on 93 octane premium unleaded. All with no cylinders! Go cylinderless! bwahahahahaha

Ahem, sorry. Must be the corrupting influence of power, please excuse...

Nitromethane? At 80 cubic inches my twin-turbo '94 RX-7 also makes about 5 hp (gross) per cubic inch, nets 4.1 hp/cu. in. to the rear wheels on the dynamometer at 7,200 RPM ...on 93 octane premium unleaded. All with no cylinders! Go cylinderless! bwahahahahaha

Ahem, sorry. Must be the corrupting influence of power, please excuse...

Our 500 cid. single supercharged dragster engines make nearly 3,000 hp on methanol. 6hp per cu. in. at a little over 6,500 rpm. on fuel that costs half the price of gasoline.

Now if you want to talk power from an internal combustion engine, single supercharged 500 cid. nitromethane fueled engines produce roughly 8,000bhp at 7,000 rpm., which is 16hp. per cu. in.

A V twin Nitro Harley Davidson drag bike engine can make around 450 hp at 160 cid. from a design that has remained mostly the same since 1903. That IS pretty impressive.

Back to the thread. two V8s three V twins an inline flatty six two lawn mowers a weed eater and a two cyl generator = 33

23 here.

10 Ford V10 in Motorhome

8 GMC PU

8 Chevy PU

8 GMC Yukon

8 Chevy Suburban

4 Jeep CJ7

4 Merc Outboard

4 Ford Tractor

2 JD Lawn Mower

3 3 chain saws

1 String Trinmmer

1 Brush Trimmer

1 Mulcher

2 MH power plant

64 total

Can't believe I couldn't come up with another to break the tie. I counted tires on the ground the other day and was really bummed out.

Wait, Chickisaw said 63 or so. Now he'll go back and really count. Oops, forgot the push mower.

This outta be good - lots o' vehicles but shockingly few cylinders...let's count 'em up.

Cars:

2010 Honda Insight hybrid = 4 cylinders

That is 7 cars, 4 cylinders :lol:

Motorcycles:

1970 BMW R75/5 = 2 cylinders

1974 Kawasaki H2 750 "Mach IV" = 3 cylinders

2005 Kawasaki z750S = 4 cylinders

That 3 motorcycles, 9 cylinders

13. Not counting the lawn equipment and the shootin' irons.

Masked Man, I think you're biased on side of the Motorcycles! rofl! That IS shockingly few cylinders on the automotive side of your household! Now, myself, I'm a simple man, only own one vehicle but it's got 8 cylinders, which I believe is actually the lowest total number so far!

Slackwater

Masked Man, I think you're biased on side of the Motorcycles! rofl! That's shockingly few cylinders on the automotive side of your household! Now my, I'm a simple man, only own one vehicle, but own 8 cylinders, which I believe is actually the lowest total number so far!

Slackwater

Unless ya don't got any, ya gotta count more than vehicles, like mowers & blowers etc. We want this to be an apples to apples comparison! ^_^

Unless ya don't got any, ya gotta count more than vehicles, like mowers & blowers etc. We want this to be an apples to apples comparison! ^_^

DS, as I said, I AM a simple man, I live in an apartment, I HAVE no power equipment! Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, etc....! ROFL!

Slackwater

Gmc- 8

Gmc-8

Gmc-8

Dodge-10

Saturn-4

Goldwing-6

Goldwing-6

Honda750-4

Honda750-4

Honda750-4

Chevy-8

Toyota-4

Toyota-4

Ford-8

Mazda p/u-4

Suzki-4

What's that? Let's see 94 I think. That's not counting mowers or anything else.

Cars:

1974 Mazda REPU - Rotary engine = 2 Epitrochoids

1946 Indian M/C = 2 Cyl

1991 HD = 2 Cyl

1996 Bronco = 8 Cyl

So, 12 plus 2 whats its! :lol:

24 at the moment. Seems like we have more with the cost of fuel and maintenance.

Archived