SASS Wire Forum

Reloading

Turkey Creek Vic 80846

Do you clean your primer pocket on all your ammo for CAS? I have a Dillon 55B It deprimes , sizes and primes on first stage. Should I be removing case and cleaning pocket? ;)

I'm retired and have all the time in the world.

So I use the single stage press I bought 50 years ago

and yes I clean my primer pockets every time after having

some high primers. I have seen some other shooters deal

with high primers also.

Been shooting CAS for 7 years, havn't cleaned a primer pocket yet -- but -- I deprime and then tumble. About 30,000 loaded - 1 high primer total. YMMV

This is my first year reloading. I have reloaded about 3,000 .45 colt and not cleaned a pocket yet. No high primers as of yet.If I do not need to I won't

Howdy Turkey Creek Vic,

I shoot and reload .44-40 on a Dillon Square Deal B. The first year I had the press I loaded about 1200 rounds with maybe three relaods on most cases. I noticed a lot with high primers after the third reload. Since then I de-prime and clean the primer pockets before the go into the case cleaner. It's a bit of extra work but the high primer problem has gone away.

Depends on how old your cases are and your loads. I've only cleaned primer pockets once and that was on some pretty old cases. I noticed it was taking more force to seat the primer fully, so I took those cases and cleaned them. Solved the problem. At any rate, I don't clean pockets unless I run into a problem. YMMV.

Since then I de-prime and clean the primer pockets before the go into the case cleaner. It's a bit of extra work but the high primer problem has gone away.

Some people do it that way, but I don't recommend removing primers before they go into the tumbler. There's a greater risk of a piece of tumbling media getting stuck in the pocket or flash hole. If you'll be cleaning the primer pocket anyway, it makes no difference whether you deprime before or after tumbling.

Just my 2 cents. :)

never cleaned pockets, only started tumbling recently, and then before decap, load on a rock chucker and hand prime. Never had a high primer. Might give a try at tumbling after decap though now. Maybe tumble an hour before and an hour after and see how primer pockets look compared to a control that wasn't tumbled after decap. Yup, I think I'll try that with the next batch.

Howdy

A perennial question. No, I never clean primer pockets.

And before you ask, no I never trim my brass either.

Some of my cases I bought new, and I can reload them without cleaning the flash hole. But I have had some trouble with buying used cases from someone else. I only use Winchester primers. The problematic cases had some other brand (color) primers.

Cash

Hey Turkey Creek, I've been shooting NRA Bulls-eye for well over 30 years. I shoot 45 ACP in a Colt Goldcup for both the centerfire and .45 stage and have never bothered cleaning primer pockets. We shoot the .45 at 50 ft indoor and 25 and 50 yards outdoor and never had a problem. I've been shooting cowboy now for about 4 to 5 yrs. I shoot .45 Colt for that and have never cleaned a primer pocket yet. There's just not enough soot coming off the light powder charges we use compared to rifle loads. Now I always clean primer pockets with rifle loads (I don't mead SASS main match rifles) as there is a lot more fuel burning in them.

Two-Bit Charlie

Stuck between two worlds, Bulls-eye and cowboy!

Do you clean your primer pocket on all your ammo for CAS? ...

CAS reloading for almost 10 years. I have NEVER cleaned any primer pockets and I've NEVER had a "dud".

I've jinxed future reloads haven't I ...

I've been reloading since 1970, and reloading black powder CAS ammo since 1996. I've never cleaned a primer pocket or trimmed a case for CAS shooting. No problems, no high primers. I use a well broke in Dillon 550b.

Buffalo Killer, SASS # 8729, on 24 February 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Since then I de-prime and clean the primer pockets before the go into the case cleaner. It's a bit of extra work but the high primer problem has gone away.

Some people do it that way, but I don't recommend removing primers before they go into the tumbler. There's a greater risk of a piece of tumbling media getting stuck in the pocket or flash hole. If you'll be cleaning the primer pocket anyway, it makes no difference whether you deprime before or after tumbling.

I deprime first then tumble and finally clean the primer pocket. In that way if a piece of tumbling media gets stuck in the primer pocket it will certainly be removed during the primer pocket cleaning so no worries at all. I shoot black powder 45 LC and 12 ga Magtec brass using the same large pistol primer as the 45 LC round so I treat the 12 ga just the same. A little extra work but I'm a single stage loader anyway so it's all a part of the game for me. Smithy.

I shoot black powder and wet tumble in a Thumbler's Model B. Recently started adding a tablespoon of citric acid per quart of solution to the detergent and water. Very effective at cleaning inside and out and even gets a high percentage of the pocket crud; and this is with the spent primers IN. Citric acid can be found with google in powder form, purchased from relaoding suppliers as active ingredient of Hornady One Shot Ultrasonic cleaner concentrate, found at some grocery supplies as "Sour salt" or Lemon salt", or in auto parts as main ingredient of Prestone Super Flush radiator cleaner solution. It does not etch or leach the brass like vinegar. But I don't think cleaning pockets is necessary in this type of ammo.

prs

Over 7 short years (Can ya believe that Ivory? :blush: ), and I've never cleaned a PP.

But then...I've only shot a couple hundred thousand rounds...

I'm in this game to shoot...not reload!

;)

Dang Phantom, has it only been 7 years since we first met? Seems like it's been a lifetime! :lol: When are you coming out to visit with us again? Believe it or not, The Cowboys (and me) actually miss you.

Cleaning primer pockets and trimming brass comes under precision ammo reloading. That's just not the sorta ammo we need for what we do. Reload it, use your revolver cylinder to gage it.

On a side note; If you are reloading with a Dillon if you set the shell plate as tight as you can but still able to turn it any high primer will be hard coming off the shell plate as it hits the kicker. Take it out of the shell plate stick it back in the first stage and re-seat the primer more.

Cleaning primer pockets isn't necessary for our sport. Depriming and then tumbling didn't work for me very well. The media tended to hangup in the primer holes. It is more enjoyable for me to load on a progressive when I just let the stations work as they were designed: decap, prime, drop powder/bell mouth, powder check, set OAL, & crimp. I've not seen the need for me to clean primer pockets in 9 yrs of CAS or several years of reloading prior to that. Save your money and don't buy a primer pocket tool. Save your money on a case trimmer, too. Low power loads just don't stretch cases. YMMV.

Dang Phantom, has it only been 7 years since we first met? Seems like it's been a lifetime! :lol: When are you coming out to visit with us again? Believe it or not, The Cowboys (and me) actually miss you.

Someday real soon my friend...you have no idea how much I miss shooting with The Cowboys. :wub:

I even miss...Jake... :blink:

I noticed the Wolf primers I bought when I could not find anything else at a reasonable price are quite a bit dirtier than say Federal or CCI that were my normal primer of choice so with them I hand de-prime tumble and then feed through the Dillon I leave the de-prime pin in the press trusting it to remove any lodged media.

I deprime while watching TV and a 1000 goes very quickly I expect when I have used the last of the Wolf primers I will no longer bother with this extra step

Pigeonroost Slim, I soak my BP brass in a bucket of 1/2 gal of water with Lemon juice concentrate, Pine oil, and either Dawn or Palmolive with OXY for a hour or so before putting in my Model b with Ceramic. The ceramic is both angle cut and round balls. My brass comes out after about 3hours and it looks like brand new both inside and out. I put just enough water into the tumbler to cover the ceramic. I also add a good squeeze of Dawn/OXY into the mix. The primer pockets are also like new which means no more cleaning needed. Later David PS the soaking solution is about 2 oz of each liquid posted.

Cleaning primer pockets isn't necessary for our sport. Depriming and then tumbling didn't work for me very well. The media tended to hangup in the primer holes. It is more enjoyable for me to load on a progressive when I just let the stations work as they were designed: decap, prime, drop powder/bell mouth, powder check, set OAL, & crimp. I've not seen the need for me to clean primer pockets in 9 yrs of CAS or several years of reloading prior to that. Save your money and don't buy a primer pocket tool. Save your money on a case trimmer, too. Low power loads just don't stretch cases. YMMV.

+1 But make that no primer pocket cleaning for ten years for me.

Archived