SASS Wire Forum

Measuring Black Powder

Timber Rattler

What type powder measure do you use for blackpowder in revolver cartriges?

Thanks

Lyman 55 black powder measure. It's got brass internals that won't spark if a grain of sand gets caught in the measure. Charcoal has some silica in it naturally, and some BP factories have even been know to add floor sweepings back into the production. Most powder measures are not factory-approved for BP. Hornady also makes one that is approved for BP use.

Lots of other folks feel pretty free to ignore the manufacturer's warnings, and run BP in Dillon and other smokeless measures. I figure a company like Lyman, who's been making powder measures for over a hundred years, probably knows something about the risks.

Good luck, GJ

I use the Lee AutoDisk. Once you figure out how big your charge needs to be, select the appropriate hole and have at it.

Here's some handy info http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm to speed the calculation process.

As you can see from the varying responses, opinions vary. The danger when using real black powder (not subs like 777 or pyrodex) with standard powder measures is static electricity and/or steel parts sparking and causing a boom. (I think that's sort of silly because the same thing would happen with smokeless) However, when the manufacturer makes a reccomendation.... ;)

What type powder measure do you use for blackpowder in revolver cartriges?

Thanks

LEE Pro Auto Despencer with APP 3F powder in every CAS round I load. I got several and keep one on each of my CAS caliber tool heads pre set to drop enough powder for that caliber. Never weighed a BP/Sub load for CAS, just fill to bottom of bullet or slightly above and load. Don't know or care the weight, unimportent info, just know powder reaches the bullet with some compreshen and all are the same.

You can get as simple or as complicated as you enjoy, I'm a big fan of simple that workes!!!!!!!!!

Greeenriver

I use a standard Hornady LNL powder measure on my Auto progressive press BUT understand that I am using a black powder sub, APP. It is and was considered a big taboo but for a short while I loaded real black powder through a LEE Pro Auto Disc powder measure, I think it was called. The Hornady black powder measure can be set up to run full auto mode on their LNL AP and its the best press for the dollar anyway! In the end I considered the bullet lube problems to be the deal breaker for real black powder cartridge loading. No matter what you are loading, you need to get a set of the LEE Powder Dippers. I seldom load anything new, cartridge, shot shell or c&b, that I do not use the dippers to find a starting reference point.

Two thumbs up for Hornady LNL AP and Ponsness Warren reloading equipment for all my smokey loading needs.

Std measures coverted to bp use with aluminum hoppers replacing plastic ones, a Lyman for single stage and a Dillion on the SDB for main match stuff. To set loads I have a small volumetric measure from Thompson Center thats just a graduated cylinder with a syringe plunger in it for adjustment and a pivoting pour spout. I bought it for use with a muzzle loader and now it lives in the tool rack on my bench.

for BPFC rounds I just use my dillon 550B powder thower set for slight compression of Goex 3F after a 158gn Big lube bullet is pressed into the case. For my C&B cyclinders I use a powder thrower with a nozzle which has been cut down to give me the optimum round for the EPP-UG bullet I cast from a mold I purchased from Dick Dasterly. Has a great lube grove and allows me to shoot 5 -6 stages without swabbing the barrel. Good luck.

I measure by volume and use a brass Black Powder measure (adjustable volume with vernier reading-one is 0 to 50 grains the other is 50 to 200 grains) and then set the setting on my RCBS Black Powder measure(http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=837690) and then drop the Black Powder from it.....

The spout on the flask. You can get them in different sizes, most that are standard on the flask are in the 25 or 30 grain range.

Works for me too in the field. I use a 30g for the Old Army with a felt wad, short conical or ball.

GG ~ U*S*A flag

I use the one that came with my Dillon press.

#1..............Me too, I've read enough about the "myth" of static electricity to be comfortable with it. Rye

#1..............Me too, I've read enough about the "myth" of static electricity to be comfortable with it. Rye

I believe static electricity is not a problem. I also believe that steel sparks from internal parts catching a grain of flint sand are a real possibility. Not common, but I throw enough BP (50 lbs a year) not to take that chance. But, for the bottom line, it is your face that hovers two feet away from the measure, so take what precautions are appropriate in your own situation.

Good luck, GJ

I believe static electricity is not a problem. I also believe that steel sparks from internal parts catching a grain of flint sand are a real possibility. Not common, but I throw enough BP (50 lbs a year) not to take that chance. But, for the bottom line, it is your face that hovers two feet away from the measure, so take what precautions are appropriate in your own situation.

Good luck, GJ

The moving parts of the Dillon hopper are aluminum. Can't remember the last spark I saw from aluminum and any source. Enough people are loading BP on Dillons that a mishap would have occured by now. Might be the last thing I do, but it's my Dillon for BP. I agree that you need to have a comfort level, so I encourage all BP reloaders to research and pick the method that makes you feel safe. I don't fault anyone for being too safe.

CR

Good luck, GJ

This is good advice from Joe.

I've had some experiences with real BP that would make me sound like an idot if I repeated them here. Suffice to say I'm much more conservative than previous.

Additionally, every now and then one of the BP manufacturers will blow up and kill a few people.

Classified as a 1.1 Mass Explosion Hazard Black powder is sensitive to shock, friction, heat and sparks (ignition sources).

It is not smokeless and there is a certain amount of caution that goes along with it's use.

I only know of one static mishap - Happened to City Slicker around ten years ago. At least it was attributed to static. Anyway I use a Lyman 55 with the BP hopper or in a pinch, the Lee Dippers - a cheap and effective away to charge a shell if one is not using a progressive press.

Howdy Again

Yup, I forgot to mention that I also use Lee dippers in a pinch if I don't have a rotor set up for a particular charge for my Lyman 55. I have been reloading some 44 Russians recently with dippers. It ain't all that slow, particularly if you do most of the other operations on a progressive press.

I only use Lee dippers...........

pre set to drop enough powder for that caliber. Never weighed a BP/Sub load for CAS, just fill to bottom of bullet or slightly above and load. Don't know or care the weight, unimportent info, just know powder reaches the bullet with some compreshen and all are the same.

You can get as simple or as complicated as you enjoy, I'm a big fan of simple that workes!!!!!!!!!

Greeenriver

This has and will work for me in the future. Smithy.

Yep, I use the standard L-N-L powder measure progressive press. Still use Lee Classic Turret for some stuff. Mec Grabber for shotshells.

Jefro :ph34r:

Well, I worked in the electronics industry for 24 years and know a bit more about static electricity than most folks. Electrostatic discharge may be an exceedingly rare cause of ignition of Black Powder, but I will not to put a pound of Black Powder into a plastic hopper right next to my head.

I loaded up a test batch of my first BP rounds and fired them today after the match.

45 Colt, 250 grain big lube bullet, Goex Cowboy compressed about 1/16" when seating the bullet, magnum primers (I don't think this is too much load info for the wire).

I was suprised by how stout the load was - there was some power behind those bullets! Pulled the trigger and BOOM!!! and SMOKE!!!

I don't know if it was the magnum primer, or too much crimp allowing pressure to build, but this was a serious load. I'm sure they would pass the smoke AND the power factor test with room to spare.

I can't wait to shoot my first match BP, but I would like to 'tame' the load some before I spend all day shooting it.

I loaded up a test batch of my first BP rounds and fired them today after the match.

45 Colt, 250 grain big lube bullet, Goex Cowboy compressed about 1/16" when seating the bullet, magnum primers... the magnum primer, or too much crimp allowing pressure to build, but this was a serious load.

Sure, that's what a 45 colt case full of BP does. Heavy crimp doesn't change much, mag primer doesn't change much. To go lighter, you can step down in bullet weight. Or experiment with fillers. But you can't put much less powder in unless you use a filler. You are probably overestimating the velocity/power that the loads have, almost every new BP shooter thinks he's got a new magnum cartridge. But, you chrono it and you will find you are making about 850 FPS.

It just sounds loud, with the boom that a BP load gives.

Other choices that are pretty common - use a smaller case (45 Schofield, Cowboy 45 special, etc). That gives you a smaller volume to fill up, so a lighter load. Or shoot APP, it's less powerful when loaded in the same volume as BP.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side. GJ

Sure, that's what a 45 colt case full of BP does. Heavy crimp doesn't change much, mag primer doesn't change much. To go lighter, you can step down in bullet weight. Or experiment with fillers. But you can't put much less powder in unless you use a filler. You are probably overestimating the velocity/power that the loads have, almost every new BP shooter thinks he's got a new magnum cartridge. But, you chrono it and you will find you are making about 850 FPS.

It just sounds loud, with the boom that a BP load gives.

Other choices that are pretty common - use a smaller case (45 Schofield, Cowboy 45 special, etc). That gives you a smaller volume to fill up, so a lighter load. Or shoot APP, it's less powerful when loaded in the same volume as BP.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side. GJ

Thanks for the info.

By the way (in an attempt not to hijack the thread): I measure how deep the bullet would seat in the cartridge, added 1/16", marked it on a fired case, cut it off with a dremel tool, deburred the end, and soldered a wire hanger handle to measure the BP.

I guess you could say it is a 'custom' brass powder dipper. It may be custom, but it ain't original. I'm sure there are thousands of them in use across this great nation of homegrown/backwoods engineers.

I also use the Lyman #55BP Measure.

By the way (in an attempt not to hijack the thread): I measure how deep the bullet would seat in the cartridge, added 1/16", marked it on a fired case, cut it off with a dremel tool, deburred the end, and soldered a wire hanger handle to measure the BP.

I guess you could say it is a 'custom' brass powder dipper. It may be custom, but it ain't original. I'm sure there are thousands of them in use across this great nation of homegrown/backwoods engineers.

Yup. You have just reverse engineered a 2.2CC dipper.

What do you mean reverse engineer Driftwood? As a fellow yankee you should know he has handcrafted a folk art powder dipper. If he sticks it in a snow drift between loading sessions it will get a nice patina and could then probably sell it at an antique store for big money. With the profits he could buy an entire set of lee dippers.

Lee dippers. I cut down a plastic bottle and put a brass rod across the mouth so I can push the dipper into the powder, then drag it under the rod on the way out to level the powder. It sits perfectly at about a 45° angle on a case trimmer I've got bolted to the front of my loading bench so I can get the dipper in and out easy.

Whats the difference between a plastic hopper and the plastic bottle that Swiss and Schuetzen comes in?

Not all plastics are created equal. PVC is prone to static build up, while polyethylene (HDPE) is more resistant, as are acrylic plastics. Without a bottle to examine, my guess would be they are made of the HDPE.

If you're concerned about static, giving the hopper and dispenser a good wipe down with an anti-static dryer sheet will reduce the chances of any charge build up. Also, since most powders - black, subs, and smokeless - are treated with graphite nowadays, that also helps cut down on static.

Archived