SASS Wire Forum

Sharing important days

Would you like or dislike if your birthday was the same as another family members? Or the same as the national holiday?

On the one side it seems like it would be easier to remember. But then you have to share. My brother was born on my parents second anniversary, so his birthday and their anniversary was the same. And we always celebrated his birthday. I don't ever remember Mama and Daddy have a anniversary celebration. Until we were grown and they kicked us all out of the house.

My wife's mother and her brother's wife had the same birthday. So every September 5th we had a dual birthday party. Her brother and one of her brother's sons - their birthdays were 3 days apart. So again they had a dual birthday party. On the day that was midway between them.

I was just thinking about this because my daughter's sister and my youngest granddaughter have the same birthday. Now they don't live close enough together for it to matter but it makes it easier to remember.

A good friend of mine, when I was a kid, his birthday was December 18th. He really hated that because he didn't get birthday presents. That was too close to Christmas.

An online story the little brother's birthday is Christmas. And everybody had to get him two presents. He would open his Christmas presents in the morning around the tree with the rest of the family, and then there would be birthday presents at supper when they had the birthday cake. Weird.

My birthday is Christmas Eve.  I've grown used to it after all these years.  

True story.  Uno is a master at procrastinating.  For the first several years we were together, he would take off early on Christmas Eve to do the shopping for his family, bring everything home late in the day, dump it all on the floor and say "well, we've got a lot of wrapping to do".  We had to rush and wrap everything before rushing up to his parents house for Christmas eve dinner.  I finally put a stop to that.  Not only was I tired of it but his mom grew tired of making dinner Christmas Eve, then again on Christmas night.   

• Like 2

My wife and I were married on her birthday and It was her Grandparents Golden Wedding Anniversary, my Grandfather's and Great Grandfather's birthday too. The 20th of October is a very special day for us. Oh....and this year we will celebrate our 60th anniversary!

• Like 1

I never considered my birthday to be an "important" day.  Good excuse for a party if it was convenient for friends and family, otherwise not a big deal. 

My father was a twin, so the two families always got together for a dinner on their birthday, except when they were in Europe in 1944-45.

My daughter's birthday is a week after mine.  We normally celebrate together, and look forward to it.

But don't forget your wife's birthday.  Did that years ago.  Never again.

• Like 1

My best friend was a Christmas baby. He hated it. Here's how he put it in our book:

I’m a Christmas baby. Born on December 25. Some people think that it might be fun, but I’m here to tell you it’s not. Every year it’s the same. “Well, Jimmy, we’re going to get you a combined Christmas and birthday present. But it’ll be real special,” Mom would always say. And it never was. My brother Howard would get something as good or even better, and he’s not a Christmas baby.

Rarely did he get an actual Birthday card. People would just write "happy Birthday too" on his Christmas cards.

My granddaughter's birthday is December 20th. And they work real hard to make sure that that's special. She has a BIRTHDAY party and she has BIRTHDAY presents, and it doesn't matter that Christmas is only 5 days away. This is her birthday. 5 days from now she'll get more presents but that's Christmas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

My birthday is Christmas Eve.  I've grown used to it after all these years.  

True story.  Uno is a master at procrastinating.  For the first several years we were together, he would take off early on Christmas Eve to do the shopping for his family, bring everything home late in the day, dump it all on the floor and say "well, we've got a lot of wrapping to do".  We had to rush and wrap everything before rushing up to his parents house for Christmas eve dinner.  I finally put a stop to that.  Not only was I tired of it but his mom grew tired of making dinner Christmas Eve, then again on Christmas night.   

My mom’s birthday was Christmas Eve. We always had her birthday just before we opened up Christmas presents. This was when we were adults and had the grandkids over. I always thought poor Mom got kinda cheated because everyone especially the kids were so excited about opening presents. She took it in stride though and worried more about the Christmas celebration than herself. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

On the one side it seems like it would be easier to remember. But then you have to share.

My Dad was born on Christmas day.  REAL hard to compete with Jesus.

• Like 2

My neighbor's daughter was born on Christmas day.  Every year they had a big "birthday" party for her on conception day, 9 months before December 25.  Seemed to work out pretty well.   

As for my birthday, I couldn't care less if it was on a national holiday or someone else's birthday or anniversary.  It's pretty much just another day for me.  If you don't treat me well every day, buying me a present once a year means nothing.  If you do treat me well every day, a present is not needed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

My best friend was a Christmas baby. He hated it. Here's how he put it in our book:

I’m a Christmas baby. Born on December 25. Some people think that it might be fun, but I’m here to tell you it’s not. Every year it’s the same. “Well, Jimmy, we’re going to get you a combined Christmas and birthday present. But it’ll be real special,” Mom would always say. And it never was. My brother Howard would get something as good or even better, and he’s not a Christmas baby.

Rarely did he get an actual Birthday card. People would just write "happy Birthday too" on his Christmas cards.

My birthday is one month after Christmas. 
Believe it or not members of my family would buy me the same thing as my brothers then say “Oh, by the way Tom, that’s for your birthday too.” Cheap bastages!

As to Alpo’s question:

When I was a kid I would have preferred my birthday to be on a holiday. That way people might remember it. 
As an adult. I don’t really care. 

• Like 1

I was a December 25 baby as well.

Didn't do well on the subject of birthday presents from relations. 

It used to really PO my Mother and Father, because they went out of their way to find things and get them mailed to the family members.

Mother and Dad made up for it with me however.

Still miss them.

• Like 1

Does the Ides of March count? :P

My DIL's birthday is sandwiched between Christmas and New Years Day.  I send her something on My birthday every year so she doesn't get left out.

Knew a pair of identical twin girls who were born on December 24 and 25th about 35 minutes apart.  Caused some confusion amongst a few bureaucratic idiots around our little town.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

12.04 : Ann's Birthday
12.22 : Our Anniversary
12.25: Christmas

I buy her separate for each occasion. :wub:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Knew a pair of identical twin girls who were born on December 24 and 25th about 35 minutes apart.  Caused some confusion amongst a few bureaucratic idiots around our little town.  

I've heard of twins with one being born just before midnight and the other born just after midnight so they have different birthdays.

Then there was a set that was born early Sunday morning on the fallback day. So the oldest twin was born at 1:50 a.m. . The younger twin was born 25 minutes later, but because of the time change was born at 1:15 a.m. . So the younger twin was legally older than the older twin.

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Wouldn't it be fun to have been identical twins born just before and just after midnight on New Years Eve and New Years Day?  I could have had fun with that combination.

It'd be more fun to have one born on Feb. 28 and the other on Feb. 29.

• Like 1

My birthday’s on Mar 31. My dad used to say we got the wrong date it should have been April Fools!! :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Wouldn't it be fun to have been identical twins born just before and just after midnight on New Years Eve and New Years Day?  I could have had fun with that combination.

There is an online comic. The girl insists they are twins, while the boy keeps insisting that they are not. He was born in January and she was born in November and her argument is that they were both born in the same year so obviously they're twins.

• Haha 1

I was born on the third anniversary of a ‘National Day of Mourning’ at that time. Now it seems to be just a casual mention in the TV News broadcast. As a youngster, when it was remembered with more respect and intensity, I always felt a little let down that our teacher would remind us, “Today is a sad day in history, that must never be forgotten. December 7, 1941, a day that will live in infamy”.

At least most of my family don’t forget. As Alpo said, it helps people remember as the day has National Significance. It also helps the youngsters to remember the history associated with, Grandpa’s/Uncle’s birthday. I’ve met others born on that day of year, we seem to have similar memories of our birthdays. As to the proximity of that date to Christmas, my parents always made sure that did not effect either celebration.

CJ

never gave it much thought - i missed new years by a day , my daughters is the spring solstice , my sons is valentines day , a BIL is Christmas and an ex-employers was 4th of July , it just never made a lot of difference to me as mine got overlooked the majority of my life by me and others , now im delighted when its forgotten , kinda like not getting older when you know you are 

47 minutes ago, watab kid said:

now im delighted when its forgotten ,

I don't think about growing older or not growing older. Just a part of life.

But I find it a tad annoying when people who should remember my birthday don't.

I got a phone call one year, a few years back. My granddaughters sang Happy Birthday to me. After I thank them and they got off the phone and went back to doing whatever teenagers do, my daughter got on the phone and she tells me that she had told them they absolutely had to remember this year because it was an important one. I asked what was important about it. She says, "You're sixty!"

And I said, "I'm 61".

Oops.

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2024 at 10:19 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

If I wasn't sure how old I was, my wife would say I'm getting Alzheimer's.

theres that , they always have a way of injecting a bit of reality into a perfectly good fantasy moment 

On 5/9/2024 at 10:52 PM, Alpo said:

I don't think about growing older or not growing older. Just a part of life.

But I find it a tad annoying when people who should remember my birthday don't.

I got a phone call one year, a few years back. My granddaughters sang Happy Birthday to me. After I thank them and they got off the phone and went back to doing whatever teenagers do, my daughter got on the phone and she tells me that she had told them they absolutely had to remember this year because it was an important one. I asked what was important about it. She says, "You're sixty!"

And I said, "I'm 61".

Oops.

ya , its a simple math error i make them all the time , but , sometimes i feel real bad when i do , but i meant well , seems it happens often enough that i should know better , 

so what is it that makes those ages with an ")" in thenm something special anyway ? these days i just think getting to the next one no matter what number makes it special ,