SASS Wire Forum

Biometric Locks

no , i dont , my wife does on her phone but im still a hands on guy thatrt would rather have a code ....as much as i hate all the passwords i cant remember im always having to change them and write them down to remember and now my phone disconnected from my email accoumt for no reason at all , im pi$$ed 

I personally will not use this kind of safe or gun box. At least not yet (waiting to see how the technology improves). I have had a computer for work that required a fingerprint to access and it failed to recognize my print roughly 10% of the time. That's not much when you're trying to access your laptop, but it's WAY to high of a failure rate for accessing your firearm if you need it for self defense. Then there is the consideration of batteries draining or running low and you not realizing it until you need to access the box.

Just my 2 cents, but I always recommend a box with some kind of mechanical opening method instead of biometric. 

• Like 2

Now that it is no longer a crime to be a thief and break into cars, I don't leave my EDC in the vehicle, it's much safer on my person.:ph34r: Oh well!

• Like 2

Nope.  Well....maybe on a box secured in the trunk.  I do use it for my phone, and several apps on my phone.  That way I don't have to remember to what I last changed my password.  ("Change Password" "Enter new password" clickity, clickity, click "New password must not be the same as old password")

• Haha 1

I have owned 3 different safes that had the fingerprint option. Not one of them worked with my thumb or finger print. I tried everything recommended in the manuals. They just wouldn’t work for me. They worked okay for my wife, just not me.
Fortunately they also had combination locks on them that worked just fine. I no longer have two of those safes. I kept one that also utilized RFID (that doesn’t work) a key and a combination lock. 

Electronics that detect fingerprints are fickle. If you get it to work with your finger when dry and at a nominal room temp the sensor may not work if your hand is wet and cold, wet and hot, dry and really hot or cold. I had an iPhone that opened with a finger print. It was only reliable if my hands were dry and warm.

Unless technology has advanced that dramatically in the last 5 years I would not bet my life on a bio lock. Period. Even if it has advanced I wouldn’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Had one electronic steel bedside gun box, worked and then didn't.  Fortunately  it had a key.  What works best for me with safes is combination lock with a key that allows rapid access when I am home, basically the key locks the safe without the combination being set. When going out I lock with both the combination and the key.  It is an S&G.

• Like 2

ALL of my gun Safes/Boxes are secured mechanically.   Electronic devices are way too prone to failure.  Since I don't have to share my Toys, my Home defense is displayed prominently on the Bedside Table.  Or curled up on the floor or bed ;)

• Like 2

Don't have to input a code or pattern they can't make you self incriminate, but biometrics are assumed to be taken upon arrest so some states allow the coo to press your phone against your thumb to unlock. Or show it your face

11 hours ago, Ted Forrester said:

I personally will not use this kind of safe or gun box. At least not yet (waiting to see how the technology improves). I have had a computer for work that required a fingerprint to access and it failed to recognize my print roughly 10% of the time. That's not much when you're trying to access your laptop, but it's WAY to high of a failure rate for accessing your firearm if you need it for self defense. Then there is the consideration of batteries draining or running low and you not realizing it until you need to access the box.

Just my 2 cents, but I always recommend a box with some kind of mechanical opening method instead of biometric. 

Agree. Had one of those lock box for the house. But for me it was more then 10% of the time it would not accept my fingerprints.  Originally for my boat, its now somewere between Miami and Bimini.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

I would like to think the ruling would have been different if the individual was not on parole. 

On 4/25/2024 at 11:44 AM, Texas Joker said:

They will need a warrant first.  Fingerprint recognition is turned off on my phone and I’m old and forgetful specially when armed folks are pressuring me to do something against my will.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:03 AM, Cypress Sun said:

They're going to make my unlock my phone? 

Boy are they going to be bored.

On 4/25/2024 at 10:00 AM, Texas Lizard said:

Flip phone nothing to see....

Texas Lizard

Same here. I don't even have any pics on mine. I think that I have maybe 25 numbers in it. If they check my call log, (they'll have to go through Verizon because I clear it regularly) they'll find that sometimes my wife calls me, or I call home. I don't text. 

Anybody I want to talk to I give my home number because the cell is usually on my dresser turned off.

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770

5 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Same here. I don't even have any pics on mine. I think that I have maybe 25 numbers in it. If they check my call log, (they'll have to go through Verizon because I clear it regularly) they'll find that sometimes my wife calls me, or I call home. I don't text. 

Anybody I want to talk to I give my home number because the cell is usually on my dresser turned off.

Over 1/2 of the names in my phone list are SASS aliases or nicknames. They'll have fun with those for about two minutes until they cross-reference them.

• Haha 1