SASS Wire Forum

Free college?

Alpo

Book I was reading the other day. The protagonist had just graduated from the free Belgian University. And I have no idea what the free Belgium University is, but what it sounds like is college that you don't have to pay for. Like public school, is paid for by taxes.

And I think I read once upon a time that at least one of the Scandinavian countries has free college.

But I was listening to this guy on YouTube the other day, and he was talking about how the states were different and how in this state this was allowed but in this other state it wasn't allowed, and then he said that some states have free college.

What????

Free college? Here in the good old US of A?

Does your state have free college, that you are aware of? I mean, hell, Florida might have free college but nobody ever told me about it.

Years ago in California it was free for’a 2 year associate degree. I don’t k ow about now.

https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood/#:~:text=The Hazlewood Act is a,of higher education in Texas.

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

Note: You have to be a Texas Resident when you enlist. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It was free for SWMs many years ago.

No, never was…if SWM is Single White Male. 

https://www.cccco.edu/Students/Pay-for-College

"So how much does it cost? If you’re a California resident enrolling in 12 units, you would pay $552 each semester, with out-of-state and international students paying more. Other costs include books, supplies, parking, and fees for things like health services will add to your bill, but waivers, grants and scholarships are available."

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

https://www.tvc.texas.gov/education/hazlewood/#:~:text=The Hazlewood Act is a,of higher education in Texas.

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

I took advantage of this when I came back from RVN.  picked up the necessary classes to become an elementary teacher.

fun fact:  my fellow teachers and the parents didn't always 'get' my military humor

• Like 1

The little private college I graduated from nearly 60 years ago was about $4,700 a year, room and board included.  Now it is just under $60,000 even though it has dropped severely in the ratings.  Even with inflation that is an extra $12K per year, and I sincerely doubt you would get the education I got back then.  These days I would not send a young person to college.  Near a quarter of million dollars!  

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My uncle went to ucla for free. Had to be in the 40s

That’s your basis?

I lived in CA from 83-88, 90-05. 10-13, 18-22. 
In all that time, 26 years and the span from 83 until today there is and were no free rides for white, straight males.

My daughter is getting a free ride(mostly) at Purdue University. All she needs to do is do well, and her employer picks up the tab. She works full time for a very good company that see her potential like her mom and I do.

• Like 1

nothing is free - someone is paying for it ,

ill add that my daughter got a 'free ride' at a couple different universities but she worked it off coaching in one case for a masters and the other masters was paid by an employer that wanted to keep her , her startup was playing ball and she worked her tail off for that too , 

Edited by watab kid

My daughter got a full scholarship to Carnegie Mellon.  We picked up the tab for lodging, food, travel. clothes, etc....but she worked at The Tartan and for Mister Roger's Neighborhood for a lot of that.  She also got her first year's rent for free because she turned a room under the stairs into a bedroom, study area, and big closet.  The landlord paid for the materials, she did the planning and all other work.

Also came in as Salutatorian of her college.

None of this was "FREE"!  She skipped fifth grade and we refused to let her skip eighth because we felt she needed to be with kids her own age

for her social development.  It was a good decision then and still is.

She stated two businesses, one with a partner and one on her own, didn't marry until she was about 45 .  Sold one business, Soapbox LLC Washington DC, to her partner and the other to someone that she never revealed to me.  Her husband retired from the Marine Corps as a CW5 and they are now living in North Carolina in a house worth nearly a million dollars that they pretty much built themselves.

NONE OF THIS WAS FREE!

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

My uncle went to ucla for free. Had to be in the 40s

There were several scholarship programs for WWII vets returning after the war.  I worked for a lawyer who attended law school at my alma mater on a full ride, despite never obtaining an undergrad degree.  This was a private program, funded by the law school, intended to help to compensate for the time and opportunities the vets lost by being out of the normal flow of school and work.  My memory is that the admissions dean at Harvard ran a similar program.  There were (and still are) folks who want to do the right thing.

LL

Edited by Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438

I earned at BS and a MBA and I didn't pay a cent for them. Football scholarship and the company I was working for paid for my Executive MBA. Guess I should hang my head in shame....NOT!

20 hours ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

Pretty sure CA still gives a free ride to state colleges for dependents of veterans, even if they're a straight white male.

That isn't free.  Someone earned that for them.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not free.  Some vet earned tha tfor them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

My daughter is getting a free ride(mostly) at Purdue University. All she needs to do is do well, and her employer picks up the tab. She works full time for a very good company that see her potential like her mom and I do.

She's earning it just for being as good as she is and having someone recognize that fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

nothing is free - someone is paying for it ,

ill add that my daughter got a 'free ride' at a couple different universities but she worked it off coaching in one case for a masters and the other masters was paid by an employer that wanted to keep her , her startup was playing ball and she worked her tail off for that too , 

Now, see?  That ain't free.  She's paying her way as she goes along.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

There were several scholarship programs for WWII vets returning after the war.  I worked for a lawyer who attended law school at my alma mater on a full ride, despite never obtaining an undergrad degree.  This was a private program, funded by the law school, intended to help to compensate for the time and opportunities the vets lost by being out of the normal flow of school and work.  My memory is that the admissions dean at Harvard ran a similar program.  There were (and still are) folks who want to do the right thing.

LL

Again, NOT free.  He earned it, just paid it off in advance.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I earned at BS and a MBA and I didn't pay a cent for them. Football scholarship and the company I was working for paid for my Executive MBA. Guess I should hang my head in shame....NOT!

You traded something of value to someone.  That is a form of payment, so you don't need to hang your heard in any company ever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Now, see?  That ain't free.  She's paying her way as she goes along.

that was my point - she worked off everything given , and now as a fairly well-off wage earner contributes back to those schools every year to fund the future benefits to students getting these grants and scholarships - these are paid for by someone they are not just materializing from thin air , exactly  like the government money - it comes from those that are taxed and exactly like the loans biden is forgiving - we the taxpayers are paying them back , better a kid work it off , pay it back , or reinvest in the future - but how much of that do you see ? 

On 4/21/2024 at 1:30 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

My son is using thiis for his education.