SASS Wire Forum

Name of the shot shell brass shell press that resizes shells

I have the RCBS Cowboy dies in 12 gauge that do not resize the shells. I read about a press I think made in Canada that does resize the shells but not able to locate anything on line. Thanks for the help. DC

14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

CH4D makes that set of dies. 

BTW you need a RCBS Rock Chucker or similar press that takes the larger 1 1/4" dies.

Thank you so much for the information. I use a Rock Chucker that also used the RCBS larger Cowboy dies as well. DC 

• Like 1

Wow $289 for a set of dies to load brass shotgun shells! Not to mention the price of brass hulls if you can even find them. I think I'll stick to plastic hulls and a standard MEC 600 JR.

Edited by High Spade Mikey Wilson
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Wow $289 for a set of dies to load brass shotgun shells! Not to mention the price of brass hulls if you can even find them. I think I'll stick to plastic hulls and a standard MEC 600 JR.

That Mec Jr cost you about the same as the dies and the brass hulls won't keep filling up the landscape!:P

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Style points are never inexpensive! :ph34r:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Or make or have made one of these: lay it across the jaws of a vice, insert lubed shell into .795 hole, pound in with rubber mallet, turn over, insert nut driver that will fit around primer pocket, pound back out.  Rarely need to use smaller hole.

SizingTool.jpg

Actually, unless you're doing something strange, you may well NEVER need to resize Brass Hulls.  I've been shooting the the same pile of MagTech hulls for about 5 - 6 seasons and have only needed to resize three hulls.  At was cuz some ham hock stepped on 'em.  I also DO NOT recommend a crimp on yer brass hulls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Or make or have made one of these: lay it across the jaws of a vice, insert lubed shell into .795 hole, pound in with rubber mallet, turn over, insert nut driver that will fit around primer pocket, pound back out.  Rarely need to use smaller hole.

SizingTool.jpg

Abilene,

I’ve got one of those. No help with the Magtech. I use arbor press, about 1/10 inch from bottom-out. No matter what I did, it wouldn’t go in all the way. Like you, I use an 1/2 inch deep well socket to get them out.

I’ve chambered the magtech empty cases in a modern shotgun. No problem. Sliding the empty cases in to my Parker and LeFever Damascus shotguns, that same 1/10 inch wouldn’t go. I’ve got all brass Winchester and UMC hulls. They fit my guns perfectly, no resizing.

I eventually got someone to run them on a lathe with a mandrel. I had one box done. Then the empty cases would fit in my Parker and Lefever shotguns. I lost two of the magtech cases, due to splitting, on the initial fire. Eventually, I’ll anneal them. All the other magtech let go.

Uriah

IMG_9205.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Loading all brass shells is fun, and contrary to popular opinion, you can load them with smokeless if you want to.  I have the RCBS died, but they don't resize.   So, I use the CH4D for both 12 and 20 gauge.  I may add 16 in the near future.  Expensive, yes, but it's a one time investment.   And if you have older shotguns with short chambers, it's actually easier than trying to trim plastic to the proper length.   (But not impossible.  I do that as well.)  

I say go for it.

With regard to never needed to resize your Magtech all brass shells, that may or may not be true.

Originally, I was using the RCBS die with no problem.  But the only gun I was running these shells in was my 97 and a Parker.

Then I shot a match using a real Winchester 87.   Nothing fired out of it would fit in any other shotgun.   That's when I got the CH4D's.   So, it all depends on how widely you wanna use these things.

• Like 1

So you ran into an Original Winchester 87 with an Out of Spec chamber.  On the other hand, I have been shooting this same pile of Brass Hulls in 6 different double guns with nary a problem.  For myself and perhaps others, the CH4D is a $400 solution to a problem that may well not need a solution.

I have some of about every brand of all brass shotgun shells that are or have been available in the last forty years.  Magtechs, Remingtons, Winchesters, Rocky Mountain Cartridge, Track of the Wolf, and a few more odd examples.

The RMCs, I figure I will never have to resize. But I shoot my brass shells in three different SxSs, four different ‘97s, two Winchester ‘93s, three Marlin ‘98s, and a magazine fed semi-auto shotgun.

Between the different chamber dimensions of a dozen different guns, the different loads that I shoot in these guns, and club footed lumoxes that stumble around stepping on spent shells, I often find it necessary to run the other brands through a sizing die to avoid having to keep separate batches for the various shotguns.

I used to use the RCBS Cowboy die set, but when a good friend of mine passed away some years ago, I bought his CH4D dies, along with all of his brass shell components. I am much happier with these and I’m in the process of going through all of my brass shells, resizing and roll crimping them.  

There’s over 250 of ‘em, not counting the RMCs, and I have a set of shell checking tools now, so I’m hoping that after getting all my brass shells full length sized, I’ll be able to just fix the ones that are found to be out of spec from now on.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried the Lee Load All with the brass shells? Will it resize out of shape ones?

15 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Has anyone tried the Lee Load All with the brass shells? Will it resize out of shape ones?

No.  Takes too much force

• Thanks 2

On 4/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

That Mec Jr cost you about the same as the dies and the brass hulls won't keep filling up the landscape!:P

Nope....I bought both of my MEC 600's, a 12 and a 20 gauge, for well under $100 each.

15 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

For myself and perhaps others, the CH4D is a $400 solution to a problem that may well not need a solution.

Generically, I can understand this feeling.

There have been times when I have passed on a specific gun because it's not in a caliber I am already set up to reload for.  Or for some other "reason" that will be an added expense to having that gun in the collection.

But, I recently came to the "understanding" that If I am willing to spend, and this is a random number, $2345.67 for some really cool "collectable" gun, then what's a few extra hundred dollars to tool up to reload for it?   Not much in the grand scheme of things.  For example, I don't have anything in 10 Gauge.  But if I ever get a Winchester 1901, then the cost to get a few shells from RMC and their reloading kit in a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the gun itself.  And the shells will never wear out, so it's a wise investment.

Conversely, I have a modern Winchester pump gun in 16 gauge.  It's the only 16 I have, I hardly ever shoot it, so the occasional; box of factory ammo is all I need. 

But, if I ever bight the bullet and see a nice Parker, or some other old timer in good shootable condition, well, the cost of lettering the gun and getting the Magtech brass and CH4D dies is worth the extra investment. 

At least. I think it is.

But what do I know?   I'm goofy enough to get letters for every last thing in my collection, as long as they are available from whoever made it/has the records.

2 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Nope....I bought both of my MEC 600's, a 12 and a 20 gauge, for well under $100 each.

Congrats! I got some sushi at a gas station for 99 cents!:lol: