SASS Wire Forum

And the Uberti 73 parts winner is?

Last Friday, I was minding my own business at the South Carolina State match.  I was shooting the last stage of the day about noon when my Uberti 73 rifle locked up with 6 rounds in the magazine.  Crap!!  I got home later that afternoon and took the rifle apart.  After consulting with my personal gunsmith, Joe West, it was determined that my extractor had
"lost it's temper".    That sounds bad.  He said it is.  Going to need a new extractor.   So, I got on the computer and found that VTI claimed to have them in stock so I ordered a Uberti extractor.  I then found that Cowboy and Indians Store also had some superduper "CLAW" extractor in stock so I ordered one of those too.  I have a bunch of big matches coming up soon and I don't have time to wait for back ordered parts.

All this ordering was done over the internet and I never talked to anyone or expressed any urgency.  Just a routine order.  Today about noon, (Monday) I walk out to the mailbox and both extractors are in the mailbox.  From Friday afternoon till noon on Monday.  That was fast.  I'm now back in business and ready for the rest of the shooting season.  

Well done VTI and Cowboy and Indians store.  I call this a tie.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Terry at Online Outpost  has my loyalty seen a similar experience a few years ago.     GW

• Like 5

And, don’t forget to remove and clean under the handy dandy new extractors! The carbon build up gets under it and, over time, lifts the extractor and it can’t engage the fired case.  I have a handy dandy gadget for such. :D

Glad you’re back in business. You remind me that I need to add one to my travel kit. 

Glad you came to SC. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I'm having trouble finding the Cowboys & Indian website. 
Could you post the link?
The search engines have been so taken over..

Online Outpost handles C&I parts,  plus others      GW

2 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I'm having trouble finding the Cowboys & Indian website. 
Could you post the link?
The search engines have been so taken over..

I always have to give it several tries to get it spelled right.  Gotta remember, in the address there are multiple cowboys and only one Indian. :)

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

And, don’t forget to remove and clean under the handy dandy new extractors! The carbon build up gets under it and, over time, lifts the extractor and it can’t engage the fired case.  I have a handy dandy gadget for such. :D

Glad you’re back in business. You remind me that I need to add one to my travel kit. 

Glad you came to SC. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

And that Handy Dandy Gadget works great.  I have one I keep in for shop for cleaning and one in truck for cleaning is emergency arises.  Gig comes with punch.  I find  cleaning of residue from my BP sub (and sometimes Clays and Clay Dot) trapped under extractor a  worth while addition to cleaning after several matches.  I use SOG extractors and non-extension firing pin system but extractor cleaning should be a worthwhile addition to all 73 rifles cleaning sessions ever so often. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Is there a video or written directions with photos on cleaning under the extractor?

I believe Lefty Wheeler has one         GW

21 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I always have to give it several tries to get it spelled right.  Gotta remember, in the address there are multiple cowboys and only one Indian. :)

I created a group on my browser with links to all the known parts suppliers... computers are really good at remembering stuff, so I don't have to! ;)

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:53 PM, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Is there a video or written directions with photos on cleaning under the extractor?

It’s very simple. Remove bolt and use the handy dandy gadget. See pictures. IMG_3536.thumb.jpeg.2c5ac5541094afcf01c9b4ee2b3c6318.jpeg
the block holds the bolt for 73 and/or 66. 

IMG_3533.thumb.jpeg.495c8e9075115f977e96c359184ba441.jpeg
punch, comes with kit, out the pin. Dont move the block and you won’t lose the pin. You can reuse it. 

IMG_3534.thumb.jpeg.89453479bca360eb74a4369cb2ca79fc.jpeg
see how dirty it is? Doesn’t take much to build up and raise the extractor so it can’t grab the case rim. 

IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.fb6545c708e0b1e8901d4d167e1741df.jpeg
SHINY and clean! 

IMG_3532.thumb.jpeg.3e83fe440e5ad00c34a4454fe6c921a1.jpeg
line up extractor and bolt. Insert pin. 

Hope this helps you! 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:21 AM, Scarlett said:

Glad you came to SC. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Very handy tool! That reminds me I need to use it soon so I don’t have a repeat of TN State a couple years back when I bought said tool…

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:21 AM, Scarlett said:

Glad you came to SC. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Were does one get that Handy Dandy kit? Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Were does one get that Handy Dandy kit? Thanks

Here you go! 
https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/Bolt-Block-73-66-to-remove-extractor-p582691504

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yamotellya.....that there handy dandy kit is indeed handy dandy, sure make 'extracting' the extractor from the bolt easier.  Easier means I do it more often.  I'm glad this was put together in a kit.....highly recommended.

Kajun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I don't shoot enough (I certainly don't practice).  My three most-used toggle guns have between 7K and 10K rounds of BP and smokeless through each, and have never had a failure to extract.  BUT - - I did buy the kit from Scarlett and it's in my cleaning gear, because I know the time will come.  I suppose if I just shot one rifle it would happen sooner.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Ordered. Thanks.

Already shipped yours and 4 others that were ordered today! Thanks @Badlands Bob #61228 for the opportunity! I’m sorry that it came at your expense, so to speak!  These Bolt Block Kits made by @KingSnake are really handy! :DComes with punch and extra pin material. 

Big hugs! 
Scarlett

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Already shipped yours and 4 others that were ordered today! Thanks @Badlands Bob #61228 for the opportunity! I’m sorry that it came at your expense, so to speak!  These Bolt Block Kits made by @KingSnake are really handy! :DComes with punch and extra pin material. 

Big hugs! 
Scarlett

Glad I could help.....I think.  :blink:  That extra pin material could come in handy.  That pin is less than 1/16" and easy to damage when you whack it with a hammer.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Glad I could help.....I think.  :blink:  That extra pin material could come in handy.  That pin is less than 1/16" and easy to damage when you whack it with a hammer.

I used a nail set to tap it in. Was afraid also of damaging pin, its tight. This Handy dandy should make it easier to remove and reset pin.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 6:45 AM, Scarlett said:

In my not so humble opinion that bolt block ranks up there with sliced bread as the best thing ever! And the lovely lady making them available ranks a little higher than that! Hope you’re recovering well!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid