SASS Wire Forum

How do you tie your wild rag?

Quiet Burp

If not using a scarf slide I tie a square knot. Plenty of YouTube videos to learn from. When I learned how to tie it I’d sit watching TV in the evening tying the square knot over and over. Mrs. Lose started hiding my wild rags because she got tired of watching me do it so often. I’ll post a picture in the morning.

Thank you very kindly Yul Lose its very much appreciated.  If I could also impose on you to give me the measurements of your wild rag that would be great as well. 

Howdy.

I tie my bandana like a necktie.  I think it's called a four-in-hand knot. 

It works like a slip-knot, it unties fast and if it comes loose, it can tighten back up by pulling a corner.  

The bandana is large:  32" x 32" or 36" x 36" and made from silk or I usually get the bandanas from J. Hornaday Dry Goods made from the wicking material.

Using the necktie knot keeps the bandana in a loop so you just slide it over your head to put it on and take it off.

I hope this helps,

Mo

ive got the big ones and smaller ones and just tie a knot , long as it dont fall off , square knot most of the time , ive always recommended to new folks that asked to get the big ones , the littler ones are way more difficult to secure , make good handkerchiefs tho , 

17 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

image.jpeg.4e9d034751ca48e4b6881c9a5c3c3941.jpeg             Mine look like this.

That's what I do.  Commonly called a buckaroo knot or 4-square knot.  There are places on the web that show how to tie it, but it did take me some practice.  I keep remembering an old Pall Mall commercial: "over, under, around and through"  :)

Seems like I have to re-learn how to tie one every time I wear a Wild Rag.

Lucky :D

Here are a couple of pictures of the four square knot that I tie. The Wild rag is 34”x34” and diagonally about 47”.

IMG_5008.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

Same way I did it in the Navy.

Aye, or I just tie a simple holf or single Windsor.  The 4-square or buckaroo knot is great, as it'll come loose with a simple yank... the Windsor must be slipped out from the loop.  I don't buy any kerchief less than 36" square.   

4 hours ago, Griff said:

... The 4-square or buckaroo knot is great, as it'll come loose with a simple yank... 

Nope!  It just gets tighter.  If it comes loose with a pull then you did it wrong.  That happened to me a number of times when learning to tie it.  :)

17 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Howdy.

I tie my bandana like a necktie.  I think it's called a four-in-hand knot. 

It works like a slip-knot, it unties fast and if it comes loose, it can tighten back up by pulling a corner.  

The bandana is large:  32" x 32" or 36" x 36" and made from silk or I usually get the bandanas from J. Hornaday Dry Goods made from the wicking material.

Using the necktie knot keeps the bandana in a loop so you just slide it over your head to put it on and take it off.

I hope this helps,

Mo

Yep same here. Be careful with the Buckaroo knot if it gets hung up it only gets tighter.:wacko:

9 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Yep same here. Be careful with the Buckaroo knot if it gets hung up it only gets tighter.:wacko:

A buckaroo knot will get tighter but it will not get tighter around your neck.

Archived