SASS Wire Forum

My Wife's Birthday

That's today.   She got up about 0400 to use the necessary,  when she came back to bed I greeted her with 

We got up, started the coffee and turned on the news to get information about the Baltimore Bridge

I asked if she wanted to go out for breakfast.  She said she didn't,  but really wanted pancakes.   Made a batch at about 0700.

She went to the Tuesday Crochet and Cards at the clubhouse at 1100.  I did dishes and such.

She came home after only about 75 minutes,  wanted to go to Taco Bell.  As we were on the way I said something about wondering which way to go, at that time of day there isn't any way to get there.....or anywhere in town....that's not a PITA...so she said,  "OK, Burger King, McDonald's,  I just want to get out and have something different."  BK it was. 

"Ooooo.....tacos,  2 for $2!" she said as we pulled into the drive through.   So be it.   Those things are pretty good !  As we were waiting I asked if she wanted to go out to Bodega Head.  "Yes!!"  Away we went.   Told her that I wouldn't want a taco until we were on Hwy 12 West. "But feel free to go ah..."(CRUNCH)"had and start," I said as she bit into one.   Then had to not snort crisp tortilla out her nose.

Got out to Bodega Head....a beautiful N. California drive through some truly gorgeous country which  she kept commenting on....and as we were standing there letting the bracing sea breeze (wind about 15, temperature about 58) wash through us I started to take out my phone to get a few pictures, stopped and told myself to just enjoy. Then she said,  "Look atthecolors!"  Now, she is working on a Crochet "temperature blanket." One row for each day, different color for each 10 degrees, high and low temperature,  and some calculations for how many stitches for day and night so there won't be a straight line down the middle.   Kinda cool.   One of the tools she has is a program that will take an image and generate a color palette for it in however many colors you want.   She's already planning the blanket for next year. I  looked around and pulled out the phone to capture the colors. 

FB_IMG_1711502469450.thumb.jpg.36f82d560be11f5a22501905c61b8b06.jpg

FB_IMG_1711502460721.thumb.jpg.a540e5299b8a5b219eb46e4bf273a615.jpg

FB_IMG_1711502445068.thumb.jpg.fc4ac76956210e9ac830e88225333634.jpg

FB_IMG_1711502478373.thumb.jpg.d1732f9f2e053083cdcd0866448fd494.jpg

FB_IMG_1711502452026.thumb.jpg.62240cf988718110dc12879f8588224e.jpg

She should be able to get some good colors out of those .

Only downside is that she has lost enough weight over the last. 6 months that her shoes are loose, so her feet slipped a little in her shoes,  took a tumble on the sandstone,  got some scrapes and scratches.   Nothing serious.   But even that had an upside...within about 10 seconds 4 or 5 people were there to help get her up, grab her cane, purse, and hat off the ground, asking if she was OK.  

Even with the fall she says she has had a great day. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Wish her a happy birthday from our household.

• Thanks 1

Great day!!   Was mine too.       GW

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Her temperature blanket,  just the middle section.  About 6 foot wide and will end up about 8 foot long.   She's up to about March 5th on it now.   The stitch she used for February took longer to do than she thought it would.

Hmmmm.....this phone saves photos in a weird format that won't work here.  I'll have to figure it out....

FB_IMG_1711510696866.thumb.jpg.18a5749a3e9443ce9844a1383992bf01.jpg

20240326_202446.heic

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i will ditto that happy birthday , and wish you well on the rest of your lives together , im glad you were able to find the food that made her happy ive beendoing that here as we no longer really need anything its nice to spend on what makes us hap[py and content , its all about being happy these days , the health is what it is and we shall live with it as need be , but quality time together is priceless , 

i rather like tacco bells hard shells and i know im gonna catch flack for that , the fact is that comfort food is whatever we perceive it to be , thats mine - goes back to college days with dorm mates i never really cared much for , but they exposed me to hard shell tacos of that type , and these are as close as you can get to that type , it was the late 60s and early 70s so ya gotta make allowances for that , 

please explain the temperature blanket  ? i like the idea of that heavy knitted cover she is making and i got no idssue with the changes in yarn , my grandmother made me a pair of boot sox that have at least for collors in two stages and i still have them today 60 years later - they are great 

Edited by watab kid

Happy Birthday Mrs. Subdeacon!

My gal's is Friday. We have some nice scenery around here, but nothing like that. I guarantee she won't want to go to Taco Bell, I wouldn't let her eat a taco in my vehicle anyway as it's almost impossible to eat a taco or burrito while in a car without wearing it.

I am making her prime rib with all the fixin's. Opening day for her beloved Rays is tomorrow so she's looking forward to that also. I won't be greeting her at 4:00 in the morning with a birthday dirge as I have an aversion to bullet holes in me.

Except for the fall, it sounds like a good birthday was had by all. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, what a treat!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

I rather like tacco bells hard shells and i know im gonna catch flack for that

So do we.  Is it great food? No.  But it's reasonably tasty, familiar,  and modestly priced.   

We were pleasantly surprised by the BK tacos.  The tortilla was crisp and an actual tortilla, not the preformed hard shell.  Texture was between a fried flour tortilla and a fried corn tortilla.   Meat filling was a crumble,  not a paste.  A slice of cheese rather than shreads.

please explain the temperature blanket  ?

threads.

It's a visual daily weather chart for the year,  charting the daily high and low.   The crafter picks colors for however they want to break down temperature ranges and each day is a row.  See: https://www.guidepatterns.com/free-temperature-blanket-patterns.php

Examples found online 

Screenshot_20240327_041128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6a0d3cda98eff59f3d43992d9bcf775e.jpg

image-asset.jpeg.6bb68b29a4c1283ad781169cf9617875.jpeg

She's having fun with it. Decided she also wants a different stitch for each month, which means she has to learn some new stitches. 

Along with it she's making a "rain pillow, " charting weeks with rain, and using color to show how many inches of rain.

glad you were able to find the food that made her happy ive beendoing that here as we no longer really need anything its nice to spend on what makes us hap[py and content , its all about being happy these days , the health is what it is and we shall live with it as need be , but quality time together is priceless , 

"Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I am a day late.

Happy Birthday to Mrs Subdeacon Joe anyway. :)

Joe, that temperature blanket idea is really cool…no pun intended. ;)

I will have to tell my sister and sister-in-law about this. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I won't be greeting her at 4:00 in the morning with a birthday dirge as I have an aversion to bullet holes in me.

No sense if adventure! :lol:

These tacos come in a paper pouch rather than wrapped in paper,  so any spillage was contained.   

Good luck to the Devil Rays!  

We have actually taken a liking to the Giants the last few years.   Which puts me in a bind on opening day.  I  was raised in San Diego County so I  have a long standing affection for my original home team.  Opening day we will see the Giants v. Padres. 

As an aside,  baseball is the most religious of sports....it has Padres, Cardinals,  and Metropolitans!

• Haha 2

Sending belated Happy Birthday to your wife from Ellie & Eyesa 

• Thanks 1

A belated Happy Birthday to your wife and my sincerest condolences to her for having to put up with you!! :lol:

I officially nominate her for sainthood and wish the two of you many, many more!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Birthday to your Mrs.  Those pics are absolutely beautiful......simiilar to your Mrs, I'm certain.

• Thanks 1

SDJ - Please pass along my belated birthday wishes for Lisa as well.  Wishing her many more birthdays to come and the both of you many more years together.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So do we.  Is it great food? No.  But it's reasonably tasty, familiar,  and modestly priced.   

We were pleasantly surprised by the BK tacos.  The tortilla was crisp and an actual tortilla, not the preformed hard shell.  Texture was between a fried flour tortilla and a fried corn tortilla.   Meat filling was a crumble,  not a paste.  A slice of cheese rather than shreads.

threads.

It's a visual daily weather chart for the year,  charting the daily high and low.   The crafter picks colors for however they want to break down temperature ranges and each day is a row.  See: https://www.guidepatterns.com/free-temperature-blanket-patterns.php

Examples found online 

Screenshot_20240327_041128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6a0d3cda98eff59f3d43992d9bcf775e.jpg

image-asset.jpeg.6bb68b29a4c1283ad781169cf9617875.jpeg

She's having fun with it. Decided she also wants a different stitch for each month, which means she has to learn some new stitches. 

Along with it she's making a "rain pillow, " charting weeks with rain, and using color to show how many inches of rain.

"Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife."

ok , i get it now , never heard of them before but its a fun idea - tell her she does nice work , 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, watab kid said:

ok , i get it now , never heard of them before but its a fun idea - tell her she does nice work , 

I shall,  thank you.   In the 

photo of her in the car she is wearing a sweater she made. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I shall,  thank you.   In the 

photo of her in the car she is wearing a sweater she made. 

she has a lot of talent , i no longer know folks that do this work , back when my grandmother did and my first wife did , they also had talent , this is not something every person can do in my experience ,  

A belated Happy Birthday to her, and wishes for many happy returns.