SASS Wire Forum

Yeast donuts or cake donuts?

Alpo

Just like Ginger or Mary Ann? You have a preference?

I have always preferred yeast donuts - either glazed or chocolate covered.

But just recently I saw some sour cream donuts at the store - cake donuts, but I like sour cream pound cake so I figured I would give them a try.

Boy howdy, them was good.

So when I was at the store yesterday I got some more. I did not imagine it - them is still good.

I believe that I still prefer the chocolate covered yeast donuts, but I might explore some more flavors of cake. Just to see.

I rarely eat donuts but when I do, I'll eat either kind.

As an aside, on 2/29/24, Krispy Kreme will be selling one dozen regular donut for $2.29. If your birthday is actually on 2/29, they're free.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

I rarely eat donuts but when I do, I'll eat either kind.

As an aside, on 2/29/24, Krispy Kreme will be selling one dozen regular donut for $2.29. If your birthday is actually on 2/29, they're free.

@Cypress Sun Thank you for mentioning this.  love Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I haven’t had any in years. After reading your post I found one 45 miles away from me in Washington PA. I assumed there weren’t any at all in this area. I am going to Washington soon. I may just have to drop by and get some donuts. 

Alpo, I prefer yeast donuts. 

When I was a kid my Nanny worked at a restaurant called Isaly’s. Isaly’y had an ice cream counter and a bakery in their restaurants. They also had a regular breakfast & lunch menu, if I recall correctly. 
They made glazed yeast donuts that were identical to Krispy Kreme’s donuts. My Nanny also made them at home on occasion. 
Every time I eat a Krispy Kreme original donut I am transported through time to my Nanny’s kitchen. It’s a wonderful thing. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 1

I have never had a doughnut.  I do enjoy yeast bear claws but cake bear claws are also tasty.

:rolleyes:

Either one. On the very rare occasions I've made them at home they've been yeast doughnuts - make the dough just before bed so I can cook them in the morning.

Order of preference for variety:

Plain Old Fashion

Chocolate Old Fashion (preferably Chocolate Chocolate Old Fashion)

Cruller

Blueberry

Other pastries sold at doughnut shops:

Apple "Fritters" (although those are very often too greasy)

and

Bearclaws

Topping I don't like are maple - that cloying taste lingers all day - and sprinkles.

"Gas Station" doughnut gems - the toasted coconut top the list, followed closely by powdered sugar.   If I'm feeling really nostalgic, I go for the waxy, almost flavorless "chocolate" gems.

41 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

followed closely by powdered sugar.

That's a memory that stays with you.

Early Saturday Night live, when they still had the not ready for prime Time players. There was a disco in New York - studio 54? - it was trendy, it was real hard to get into, and supposedly there was cocaine everywhere in it.

They're doing a skit where Belushi is a guard at the Disco, and he's talking about how he has to keep people behind the rope and tyfew he lets in and the more people he won't let in. And all the time his entire upper lip is covered with this white powder. And then he goes on about how there weren't any drugs in the Disco and nobody did any cocaine. And then he wiped his nose.

And when he finished talking to the reporter, he brought up his other hand with one of them white powder covered donuts and took a bite, getting more white powder all over his upper lip.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried "malassadas", these are Portuguese doughnuts w/o a center hole.  Had them for the 1st time in Hawaii.

• Like 1

For several years, Mary and I drove to work together.  We HAD to go 15 miles one way out of our way to Casey's to get coffee and her two cake doughnuts. Plain, no frosting. High maintenance.  

Now we drive 30 miles past the local Wally-World to one north of us that has a bakery. (Once a week) Biggest draw is they often have expired cake doughnut marked down. When they have them, she'll get several dozen and freeze most. 

I've argued the poor economics of her choices but not won that argument. 

As you all know I suffer from a rare fever contracted from Beavers So I prefer both.

Best Wishes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Glazed Yeast Donuts that are then covered in Dark Chocolate.  Stupefying Delicious you betcha :wub:

Plus 1000 to the Coffin man!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Glazed Yeast Donuts that are then covered in Dark Chocolate.  Stupefying Delicious you betcha :wub:

Catastrope

ujy5340dkk731.thumb.jpg.67889bf5b8e8aef762d27739dd144f63.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Mary Ann

Both I am an equal opportunity Romeo:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

if i gotta eat a doughnut i want a traditional glazed one im not a fan of the cake but ill eat it if thats all there is - id rather a strudel or a jelly role if you please 

or better yet a piece of fruit pie would be nice 

Edited by watab kid

Answering the question, I prefer plain cake donuts.
That aside, I much prefer those phat cinnamon rolls wound up in a spiral like a huge cow pie with lots of melted butter on top.

However, all the above hates my glucose, and hates on it for several days, so I have to pass.

• Thanks 1