SASS Wire Forum

learning how to spell

Alpo

Some words I learned to spell from songs - O K L A H O M A, Oklahoma, okay! Learned that one in the first grade. The teacher brought in the cast album from the play and played it several times. Didn't learn any of the songs, but I learned how to spell Oklahoma.

Some from TV commercials. AC spark plugs. That's A C, for action - A C---T I O N!

I assume that's still the way people learn to spell many words. So I wonder how many people actually think that relief is spelled R O L A I D S?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Snip-it_1708178572734.jpg.3eed66ca96929930c0c05813b2b58b19.jpg

All I know is that when our dog swallowed a whole bag of SCRABBLE tiles, we had to take him to the Vet to have him checked out.

Still no word yet. :blink:

• Haha 2

Little Tommy asked his mother what part of the family(damn it otto I wrote female) body was the yet.

She asked him how he came up with that question.

He said he saw in the newspaper that the police shot a woman and the bullet was in her yet

Edited by Alpo

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Snip-it_1708178572734.jpg.3eed66ca96929930c0c05813b2b58b19.jpg

All I know is that when our dog swallowed a whole bag of SCRABBLE tiles, we had to take him to the Vet to have him checked out.

Still no word yet. :blink:

His next trip outside could spell catastrophe 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

MICKEY MOUSE

My freshman year at a major university, I was enrolled in AFROTC. They had all three service ROTC, and a tri-service band, commanded by a senior AF cadet (music major!). At the end of the year they had a tri-service parade and review.  Before the actual parade, they held a practice, with the band in the lead, and one of the tac officers standing in as reviewing officer.  As the band passed the reviewing stand, the band struck up the Mickey Mouse song. We though the tac officer was going to have a cerebral hemmerhoid. Now everyone knows you don't laugh in formation, but there sure were a bunch of snickers coming from the ranks. :lol:

• Haha 3

I learned to read at age 4 by having mom read comic books to me.  I could follow along while she read the dialogue bubbles out loud.   Repeated words like BANG were easy to recognize.  About 5 years before TV came to town.  So comic books and the newspaper funnies were actually educational.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
Otto

When stationed at Iwakuni, Japan my Lieutenant found I'd been a school teacher and recruited me to help him teach a conversational English class every Friday at Peace Park in Hiroshima.  We used comic books, magazines, newspapers, product labels, anything with English written on it. We had the students read it out loud and if they hit a snag we stopped and helped them out.

Around thirty students from 16 to 94 were enrolled and we had as many as a dozen volunteers, and a few as five, instructors.  After each class we went around Hiroshima and surrounding areas and saw sights that most Americans would never believe existed.....and always insisted on speaking English when we could.. If someone got stuck we'd ask another student to help them out and if that failed one of the instructors would step in.

Great experience and we were successful  most of the time.

• Like 3

I learnt spelling by watching the news on TV. One time they were announcing that some woman had backed into an airplane propeller. I learnt to spell disassster. 

Sam Sackett 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I learned to spell because my granny read to me and taught me the words as she went!  We had a huge dictionary and we had to look up the words that we didn’t know.

I learned my numbers and fractions before I started school by fetching and using the wrenches in the shop where I helped my dad and uncles and cousins.

• Like 1

It's hard to believe I used to win spelling bees when I was a kid. I have difficulty with "I" now! Of course Otto is there to help. My punctuation sucks now too, but I'm old so don't really give a damn!;) I still do better than the newspaper or TV news!:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should “of”!

Would “of”

Could “of”

ad nauseum!!

OF WHAT??

The proper word is HAVE!!

The correct contraction is “WOULD’VE”!  or “SHOULD’VE”!  or “MIGHT’VE”!!!

The correct two word expression is “COULD HAVE”!!  etc…

Some of my Language/English teachers would have failed you for a semester if you ever wrote that for them to see a second time!!  

• Like 4