SASS Wire Forum

Opinions on initialisms

Alpo

I just wonder if people speak them?

Teenage girls, I believe, started this. They would text or they would email OMG. If something shocks them would they actually say OMG, or would they say oh my God?

I see people write these abbreviations in Internet posts all the time, and I just wonder if they actually say them.

This morning on another board I saw a post where this guy had found a used Colt GCNM 1911, and he was stunned at how much money they wanted for it. He said that he had a GCNM, and that he really enjoyed shooting his GCNM, but the fact that they wanted $2500 for a used GCNM when you can buy a new GCNM for 1300 was just amazing.

It took me two or three times reading that paragraph until I realized he was talking about a Gold Cup National Match. And I have never even heard anyone refer to their gun as a Gold Cup National Match, let alone as a GCNM. I have one. It's a Gold Cup.

Now there are some things that I do use initials. I don't talk about the Federal bureau of investigation. I say FBI. I don't talk about the Central intelligence agency. I say CIA. But I have never said my gun had a FTF. I would say failure to fire. Well, actually I would be more inclined to say that sumbich didn't go bang.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If something shocks them would they actually say OMG

Yes, "they" do, along with many other initialisms. 

BRB... be right back

IDK IDC... I don't know and I don't care.

AFK... away from keyboard.

And the list goes on.

And I'm talking grown people.  

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

It took me two or three times reading that paragraph until I realized he was talking about a Gold Cup National Match. And I have never even heard anyone refer to their gun as a Gold Cup National Match, let alone as a GCNM. I have one. It's a Gold Cup.

Several years ago I had a Colt "expert" tell me there was no such thing as a GCNM.  There's GC and there's NM.  There is no GCNM.  Then I showed him mine.

My sisters used to text me using all the OMG, LOL, ROFLMAO, etc. jargon. I found it quite annoying. Then they hit me with some new ones. 
We had a little family get together and I started using their letter acronym/abbreviations in the conversation. At some point one of my sisters says “You’re not supposed to use those in conversation. Hee hee hee.”

I said “I just wanted to demonstrate how stupid those acronyms, or whatever the hell you call them, sound.”

They slowed way down on the use of them…they started using emojis. :rolleyes: <_<

I was on another forum a while back and this guy used several self made acronyms to explain mods he did to his Glock. I asked him what they meant and he got snippy about it as if “everyone knows what I mean!” answered my question. 
Within a couple of hours, including mine, there were numerous posts about his lame acronyms and his b****y attitude. 

The common usage of "OK" came out of the Martin Van Buren presidential election rallies in the 1840's.  It is short for Old Kinderhook, which is where Van Buren was from.  The term just kind of took off as an acknowledgment that things are alright.  

The first time my granddaughter sent me an email and ended it with LOL , I thought how sweet she said Lots Of Love! 
My son told me what it was and we all had a good laugh. 

That was about 15 years ago! LOL :lol:

Most of what we see today is a result of Twitter, when you were limited to a number of characters for a post. It’s also because typing on a hand-held device was a pain in the early days of the technology. 

After awhile, it morphs into commonly used jargon. It’s easier to just say or type FUBAR than the individual words. 

Still, there are others who like to use it to show off, like they’re part of an exclusive club speaking a unique language. 

Some of it is funny as hell and allows you to make a point quickly. I love KMN (kill me now) like when one is subjected to endless prattling like what I’m doing now… :rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Most of what we see today is a result of Twitter, when you were limited to a number of characters for a post. It’s also because typing on a hand-held device was a pain in the early days of the technology. 

After awhile, it morphs into commonly used jargon. It’s easier to just say or type FUBAR than the individual words. 

Still, there are others who like to use it to show off, like they’re part of an exclusive club speaking a unique language. 

Some of it is funny as hell and allows you to make a point quickly. I love KMN (kill me now) like when one is subjected to endless prattling like what I’m doing now… :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO 

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The common usage of "OK" came out of the Martin Van Buren presidential election rallies in the 1840's.  It is short for Old Kinderhook, which is where Van Buren was from.  The term just kind of took off as an acknowledgment that things are alright.  

Interesting. In middle school, I was taught it came from Ulysses S. Grant. He became president but had horrible spelling; he was sensitive about it.

When presented a document for review (after consulting with others to understand it), he would give it his OK because he was not sure he new how to spell Oll Korek.

But you may be right, I was taught a lot of BS back then.

I read, somewhere, that in one of the northeastern Indian languages - Iroquois, Algonquin, I don't know which - the word yes was "okeeh". The woods runners picked it up and brought it back to town, where the townies started using it also.

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Many acronyms are venerable and from military / police usage.  Many, many more, some hard to decipher, grown in the fertile fields of the internet.

Acronyms go back well into the previous century, with use in military, police, hospital and industrial applications.

We used to have to include multiple pages of TLA (Three Letter Acronyms) at the end, along with the index, for DoD publications in the

70's and 80's, and it was a well established requirement decades before.

My medical friends love to use GORK for God Only Really Knows, and many of us use SNAFU and FUBAR quite a lot some 60+ years ago.

It's like modern emoji's - they think they invented something - the Egyptians used them four thousand years ago.

SC

3 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

My medical friends love to use GORK for God Only Really Knows,

I wonder if they still use GOMER? Get Outta My Emergency Room!

i think this started in the early days of the internet when folks didnt want to type out all the words every time they used a commonly used phrase , i learned it on gunsights i visited in the early 2000s , it was quite common before teenaged girls had texting available - back when our mobile phones were bag phones and unreliable , 

i still use them but not near like i once did , i seldom use them in texts as i use voice recognition as i cant type on these little bitty screens our phones have , i had to type back then and im a one finger typist [i got a D in typing in 1965] ill never be fast or accurate in that - im glad i have spell check , even when i forget to pay attention to it , or when it fails me , 

but IMHO , its a good thing to have some of these initialized phrases , saves a lot of time 

Archived