SASS Wire Forum

RIP Tom Smothers

Rye Miles #13621

He was also a gymnast and he and brother Dickie raced and sponsored cars in sanctioned drag and road course events!!

I think they also did some off roading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I saw the Everly Brothers at Lagoon amusement park north of Salt Lake City sometime in the '60s.  Never heard of them before that, but they impressed me when a local drummer was really cutting things up and they called break, fired him, and asked if anyone in the audience could play drums.  A girl was pushed up to the front by her boyfriend and did a really spectacular job.  Before they finished the show one of the brothers asked if she'd like to go on the road with them.  She thanked them but declined. "My parents would have a fit if I didn't finish high school." 

Saw them once more courtesy of the USO.  They were great.

If you ever saw them when they weren't doing a bit, it turns out that Tommy was the leader of the two. 

They always did the "Mom always liked you best" bit. One time they actually brought their Mom on stage with them after doing that. Mom walked out, gave Tommy a kiss on the cheek, then turned and hit Dicky with her purse.

• Haha 2

Tom Smothers had a winery here in the Sonoma Mountain AVA.

His widow, Marcy, is quite personable.  She was often on one of the local afternoon talk radio programs, and sometimes filled in for one certain personality.  Very left wing.  I often called in, sometimes chatting with her off the air, and even after the show.   Had her at least considering coming to an indoor range so she could at least have some hands on experience with firearms so when she pushed gun control she didn't come off as completely ignorant.   I think it was the idea of meeting with an armed stranger that made her uneasy about it.  Understandable.

• Thanks 1

Even though you knew their routines they were so good it was still funny watching them. You knew the "mom always liked you best" was coming but still laughed. The way they went back and forth with Dick trying to logically explain something to Tom was hilarious.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, watab kid said:

didnt agree politically but i enjoyed heir comedy and folksongs , i watched their show until it got canceled , 

25 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

There show was cancelled because, of there politics.

Back in their hayday I agreed with their politics.  Then I grew up.

They got cancelled a couple of times because of their politics, and brought back for their politics.  But I recall they skewered both sides, although they were harder on conservatives.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Back in their hayday I agreed with their politics.  Then I grew up.

They got cancelled a couple of times because of their politics, and brought back for their politics.  But I recall they skewered both sides, although they were harder on conservatives.

that was my recollection as well , but then the liberals were a lot different then than they are now , now they are communists and im pretty certain that was not Toms political thinking , he leaned more to the working class - farmers and laborers like i remember democrats doing - it was easier then to hear them out and compromise , 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, watab kid said:

that was my recollection as well , but then the liberals were a lot different then than they are now , now they are communists and im pretty certain that was not Toms political thinking , he leaned more to the working class - farmers and laborers like i remember democrats doing - it was easier then to hear them out and compromise , 

Back then both sides could duke it out on the floor of the House , then sit down and have beers together later.  

29 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Back then both sides could duke it out on the floor of the House , then sit down and have beers together later.  

yes , now establishments tell the side they dont like to get out and harass them , we have reached a point of uncivility ive never seen before and its no longer the interest of the citizens that matter - the "ruling class" seem to feel entitled to look down on those they are elected to serve , this will be an interesting year , 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, watab kid said:

yes , now establishments tell the side they dont like to get out and harass them , we have reached a point of uncivility ive never seen before and its no longer the interest of the citizens that matter - the "ruling class" seem to feel entitled to look down on those they are elected to serve , this will be an interesting year , 

Can you imagine a leading Democrat today make statements like these:

”By calling attention to ‘a well regulated militia,’ ‘the security of the nation,’ and the right of each citizen ‘to keep and bear arms,’ our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy… The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important.”

- John F. Kennedy

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. (Hubert H. Humphrey)

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

”By calling attention to ‘a well regulated militia,’ ‘the security of the nation,’ and the right of each citizen ‘to keep and bear arms,’ our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy… The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important.”

- John F. Kennedy

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. (Hubert H. Humphrey)

JFK also cut taxes. Today, he'd be one of us.

• Like 2

"I believe the compromises that are now a part of this bill have resulted in a balanced piece of legislation that protects the rights of private gun owners while not infringing on law enforcement's ability to deal with those who misuse guns or violate laws. During my 12 1/2 years as a Member of this body, I have never believed that additional gun control or Federal registration of guns would reduce crime. I am convinced that a criminal who wants a firearm can get one through illegal, nontraceable, unregistered sources, with or without gun control. In my opinion a national register or ban of handguns would be impossible to carry out and may not result in reductions in crime."

-Joe Biden on the Senate floor, 1985

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

- John F. Kennedy

no , i cant and thats what i liked about JFK , he wasnt trying to destroy the country , he actually believed what he was striving for would make the peopls lives better , not make us commies , ill be honest i did not hear HHH say that but im now more impressed with him and i was never all that fond , 

Was in the military when the Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour came on TV.   Didn't give a damn about their politics versus my politics, was just trying to take a break, and have a laugh, before going on duty.  Went to work with a smile on my face.

RIP Tommy, you put many a smile on my face.

• Like 1