SASS Wire Forum

That Time of Year

DocWard

I had a colleague at work ask me today why I celebrate Christmas, given that I make no secret of the fact I consider myself a Buddhist. After explaining to him what I have generally written here in recent years, I thought I would do so again, for those who may be new, for those who simply consider themselves my friends, and for those who simply wish to read something about the season. Yes, it is cut and pasted.

I thought long and hard as to whether to post this at all, and about what to say if and when I did. In fact, I started to write several times, only to delete and move on. I've worried that I was simply being selfish, or that others would think that I am simply seeking attention. But, I decided that I simply wanted people here to better know about me, and to elaborate a bit on my thoughts, and even my beliefs, so some of the things I write make a bit more sense. I truly hope what I am about to write is taken with the good will with which it is intended, and does not become a source of angst or disagreement. So, here goes.

I am sure that those who care to pay attention recognize that my religious beliefs are not the same as those of the vast majority of forum members. Either as a result of my comments on some threads, or as a result of my willingness to keep others in my thoughts and meditations in times of need. My beliefs are intensely personal to me, and are typically not something I discuss readily, outside of my immediate family and close friends.

Among family and friends, I have been asked why I celebrate Christmas, given my beliefs. Simply put, the answer is two-fold. First, Christmas to me is a cultural holiday. That is, it has, up until recently, been a holiday of commonality, where we Americans, coming from many and varied backgrounds, could find something that we could share, that could help us see similarities which bring us closer, rather than divide us, as a vocal few would have it do in this day and age. While we can all say "we are Americans," it is a tradition beyond that label that can help unite us if we so desire. I believe the importance of that is often overlooked.

Second, and, yes, more importantly, is the message of the season. Divinity aside (and I mean no offense in saying that), the message of Jesus is an important one. His message on how we treat one another as people, as brothers, is immensely important. Certain Buddhist sects recognize what is called a "bodhisattva," a person who has reached a stage of enlightenment, but chooses to remain here on earth in order to help others. Some liken Jesus to a bodhisattva, and the reason why can be clearly seen. Jesus was concerned first and foremost with his fellow man. Regardless of our faith, we can learn a lot from him. In that light, I see additional reason to recognize him, his birth, and to contemplate his message for us, of peace on earth.

So, with the above in mind, I sincerely wish all of you a very, Merry Christmas, and wish that you and yours find peace and happiness in the coming year.

Although you and I may see things a little differently, Doc, I think we have more in common than not.

My spiritual views are different than some so I don't discuss them often. They are mine alone I imagine. Lol.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. I hope to shoot with you again soon. Been a long time.

Mark

22 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Doc 

you seem to be solid , IMO , don't worry what some may say , I will ride with ya 

Chickasaw 

It'd be an honor, and thanks.

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Although you and I may see things a little differently, Doc, I think we have more in common than not.

My spiritual views are different than some so I don't discuss them often. They are mine alone I imagine. Lol.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. I hope to shoot with you again soon. Been a long time.

Mark

Too long. I'm hoping to get out a bit more this year, so I may try to get over to your neck of the woods for a match. If I do, I'll give you a head's up before hand so I know you'll be shooting.

Thanks, Doc. I recall reading it before, and I find it as relevant and inspiring now as the first time.

I'll add that I find your words and attitude, throughout the year not just this season, to be more "Christian" than a lot of Bible-thumpers I know. 

Doc, I grew up in a Mormon family in northern Utah.  We were taught from birth that a person MUST be recognized as one of only two things: Are they truly good people or are they not.  Many times I've heard Mom or Dad comment that someone was" so busy being a good (Insert the religion or belief that suits the person or occasion) that they couldn't find time to be a good person."

I no longer worship at any church and my wife died an atheist...and no finer woman ever existed.

I agree that Christmas is a celebration of peace and love among ALL people as a cultural thing.  

Merry Christmas to you all and wishes that whatever God you believe in will one day grant true peace and understanding and goodwill towards all others.

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Many times I've heard Mom or Dad comment that someone was" so busy being a good (Insert the religion or belief that suits the person or occasion) that they couldn't find time to be a good person."

"So heavenly good that they're no earthly good" as I heard a bishop say.  "Pious to pomposity" is another line from him.  

11 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"So heavenly good that they're no earthly good" as I heard a bishop saw.  "Pious to pomposity" is another line from him.  

I've heard "practicing vs. professing Christians," but I think I might like the bishop's better.

As in years past, the response leaves me humbled.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thank you Doc, may you and yours have a "Happy Holidays season"

"Merry Christmas"

I'm always good with Merry Christmas. As an aside, when one of my Jewish family members or friends wishes me Happy Hanukkah, I am appreciative of that as well.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Doc, Though we have yet to meet in person I consider you a friend and would ride the river with you anytime.

May you and yours be blessed health and happiness. 

I hope you know the same is true at this end. I do look forward to sharing a cup of coffee or two some time down the road.

MERRY CHRISTMAS  DOC!!

As a Southern Baptist all my 72 years of life, I have seen hypocrisy and 'judgemental' attitudes

in many ways.

I once worked a few years with a Jehovah Witness and we both freely and comfortably talked about

our beliefs and thoughts on various Biblical teachings.   He was a good feller and good friend.

As to my personal thoughts on Christmas,  I celebrate it as the birth of Christ (although he probably

wasn't born on Dec 25th), AND..... with that birth,

I'll just add that I believe Christmas means we never have to ask God how much he loves us.  

Thank goodness he overlooks my faults and shortcomings.

Merry Christmas, Peace and Goodwill to everyone.

..........Widder

Archived