SASS Wire Forum

You Have To Go Out....

Subdeacon Joe

I'd be puking after about 10 minutes of that. That's just the motion part of it.

They'll never worry about needing to rescue me.

I don't like deep water of any kind. Once the water gets over 5'- 5 1/2' deep, there's no real reason for me to go any further.  Ocean or lake.

To hell with that scuba diving and snorkeling too.

I'm impressed by those Coast Guard guys who hover the helicopter over the deck of a sinking ship during a hurricane to winch up the crew.  That takes a lot of skill, training,  confidence and big brass ones.  

I grew up not far up the lake from a Coast Guard station. Heros every one. The Big Lake (Michigan, for you furiners) is no joke. I've seen it during a good storm and it scared the hell out of me from shore.

13 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'm impressed by those Coast Guard guys who hover the helicopter over the deck of a sinking ship during a hurricane to winch up the crew.  That takes a lot of skill, training,  confidence and big brass ones.  

At night.

The Sonoma County Sheriff's Department helicopter, Henry-1, has sometimes worked with USCG on beach and cliff rescues.  One that sticks in my mind was a small craft that went around somewhere near the Marin Headlands.  No beach, just cliffs and rocks.  I think they lowered the medic about 300' on the line to pull the guy out at 0300 in a storm.

I don’t watch reality tv shows, if that’s the right term. But I watched one on the Coast Guard and sea rescues. It was very  impressive to see what those folks can and are willing to do to rescue people in very dire situations. 

16 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I grew up not far up the lake from a Coast Guard station. Heros every one. The Big Lake (Michigan, for you furiners) is no joke. I've seen it during a good storm and it scared the hell out of me from shore.

When the wind comes from the North, the waves on Lake Michigan can get like the worst ones on Superior!  And they can come up quick! When I was a teen, my uncle had a 52 ft. ChrisCraft. We wer over on the Michigan side, and things got pretty rough. He had a radio on board that had a more powerful transmitter than was later allowed, but it was a good thing we did. We heard a call from a smaller boat calling the Coast Guard station, as they had run aground stern first. The man had gotten his family off okay, but wanted help pulling his boat off. The Coast Guard station couldn't hear him, but we could.  We relayed the request to the station and they sent a 36 foot double-ended boat down, and we circled well offshore until they could get within range of the boat's radio. Exciting! God Bless the Coasties!

One of the weirdest things I remember about Lake Michigan is when I was in the Navy in Great Lakes NTC the winter of 79-80 the lake froze. In March I remember we had warm temps then it got cold and windy. 
I woke up before sunrise to a loud crack or boom. I heard a couple more and I put on my sweat pants, tee shirt, shoes and grabbed a jacket and headed to the quarterdeck of our BEQ (barracks).
There were a few people just outside so I went outside as well. We heard the loud cracking and a security patrol pulled up and said the ice on the lake was shifting and the wind from the east was blowing chunks of ice together. 
We said we were going to go check it out and were told the beach was off limits until further notice. 
After gunnery school that day me and some friends went to the beach through a shortcut some girls showed me and the sight of those huge chunks of ice piling up against the shore was pretty impressive.

We weren’t close to the ice but were considering getting closer when were seen by the security patrol. We figured we were busted so we waited for them to come to us. Running would have meant searches of the gunnery and fire control BEQs and we didn’t want the drama. 
They were pretty cool about us being there but said that if they had caught us on the ice they would have run us in and we would have stood Captains Mast. 
Apparently in the past there were some accidents and sailors died or were badly injured by ice breaks coming together. That’s why the beach was off limits. 

I recall being on the north shore of Superior, solid ice as far as you could see from a high point.  Noise in the night and azure ice piled high against the rocky shore in morning with open water beyond again, as far as you could see.  If the house hadn't been high on a rocky point it would have been buried.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

One of the weirdest things I remember about Lake Michigan is when I was in the Navy in Great Lakes NTC the winter of 79-80 the lake froze. In March I remember we had warm temps then it got cold and windy. 
I woke up before sunrise to a loud crack or boom. I heard a couple more and I put on my sweat pants, tee shirt, shoes and grabbed a jacket and headed to the quarterdeck of our BEQ (barracks).
There were a few people just outside so I went outside as well. We heard the loud cracking and a security patrol pulled up and said the ice on the lake was shifting and the wind from the east was blowing chunks of ice together. 
We said we were going to go check it out and were told the beach was off limits until further notice. 
After gunnery school that day me and some friends went to the beach through a shortcut some girls showed me and the sight of those huge chunks of ice piling up against the shore was pretty impressive.

We weren’t close to the ice but were considering getting closer when were seen by the security patrol. We figured we were busted so we waited for them to come to us. Running would have meant searches of the gunnery and fire control BEQs and we didn’t want the drama. 
They were pretty cool about us being there but said that if they had caught us on the ice they would have run us in and we would have stood Captains Mast. 
Apparently in the past there were some accidents and sailors died or were badly injured by ice breaks coming together. That’s why the beach was off limits. 

Somebody disappears through a hole in the stacked ice every year.

34 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Somebody disappears through a hole in the stacked ice every year.

That’s what the security patrol said. 
I guess that event didn’t happen every year there because the base was on the west shore of the lake. The winds would have to be strong out of the east, but that base had been there since 1911 so I am sure there was history involved in the security patrols warnings. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

That’s what the security patrol said. 
I guess that event didn’t happen every year there because the base was on the west shore of the lake. The winds would have to be strong out of the east, but that base had been there since 1911 so I am sure there was history involved in the security patrols warnings. 

I grew up on the east side. Grand Haven area. I get back when I can.

20 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

They are practicing to save people who have done just that.  Imagine having to be the rescue swimmer in surf like that.

ya , no thanks , i like calmer water 

19 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The impacts ruin a lot of knees too.  Some of the smaller craft have give in the deck to lessen the impact on the crew.

had not thought of that but yes i can see that as a problem , ive been on some rough water but generally sitting down 

Archived