SASS Wire Forum

Blowback on .38

sarcasmn

I have been reloading rifle rounds for long range for many years.  Mostly .308, .338 and 6.5 CM.   Even loaded 45-70 for black powder silhouette.  Being new to cowboy action I am investigating reloading pistol rounds. 

I have been reading about blowback on the 45 colt.  I was wondering if there is much blowback on the .38. 

No

I have not noticed any blowback on any 38 pistol or rifle that was functioning correctly. Of course many have loaded much more than I have and may have a different experience, I am only up to about 200 thousand live fire. 
45 Colt as you have discovered is a different story. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid 

Ellie shoots 38s and I only have to clean hers once a season. The rifle action always looks clean, no blowback. Now my 45s, is a different story!

I shot 38 Special cases in Toggle Link Rifles for years.  Loaded way light, smokeless powder (TightGroup) with 105Gr Snakebite bullets.  No discernible blow-by.  Haven't personally shot any 38s in a rifle since becoming enamored of the Dark Side and can't reliably comment regarding BP or Subs.  However, 38 cases are fairly thin in comparison.   

35 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I shot 38 Special cases in Toggle Link Rifles for years.  Loaded way light, smokeless powder (TightGroup) with 105Gr Snakebite bullets.  No discernible blow-by.  Haven't personally shot any 38s in a rifle since becoming enamored of the Dark Side and can't reliably comment regarding BP or Subs.  However, 38 cases are fairly thin in comparison.   

I shoot Dark Side with my 38-40 but I've always wondered if APP in my 38 would run a full match without trouble. I should load some up to try it

Blowback does occur when using nickel plated brass in cold weather. Solution is to keep your ammo warm or don't use nickle plated brass. Or, use a heavier powder charge.

I learned this by chronographing  ammo in extreme cold weather at 8000 feet. Nickle plated brass was also 150 fps slower at below 20 degrees f. It doesn't expand at the same rate due to being two unlike metals. 

26 minutes ago, Gungadin said:

I assume 'blowback' is when the load is lite, the case doesn't expand to seal the chamber.  Result is a dirty outside of the case and some dirty gas back into the receiver/bolt?

I didn’t assume anything! I don’t know what it means, so I ASKED!!

Try and get a simple answer….:(

13 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Hey Assassin,

None of my ammo goes off below 20 degrees because I'm not out shooting in temps like that.

Rev. Chase 

I was bored.

I only get blowback in a Marlin 38 Special CBC rifle.  I think it has an oversize chamber.  All my family's revolvers and other rifles lack blowback with 38 Specials.  (I don't load very light.)  Regarding Ni-plated brass, I just use them with black powder loads in revolvers.  The handguns are so coated with soot after firing I would not notice blowback if I saw it.

7 hours ago, Seth Bradford said:

I shoot Dark Side with my 38-40 but I've always wondered if APP in my 38 would run a full match without trouble. I should load some up to try it

I load 38 specials to the base of an 125 gr bullet with APP or Shooters World black. Can easily shoot 6 stages with no issues.  I shot 18 stages over 3 days doing nothing more than squirting a little Ballistol in the action followed by a quick wipe down at the end of each day. Guns ran flawlessly. 

Yes, lite loads of 38sp produce blowback. Compared to lite 44-40 its a lot and needs cleaning often. Compared to lite 45colt, its minor and you only need to clean it half as often. I reload for all 3 of these, smokeless only CAS ammo, and that is my experience.

Archived