SASS Wire Forum

Hunting Season Now Open for New Truck

bgavin

30 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Perhaps I'm just jaded but I'll trust an individual more than I'll trust a dealership. The only thing a dealership can be trusted for is to give you a screwing you know is coming but you're not sure how.

I hate shopping for cars every which way possible no matter what though.

Sorry but that’s just not been my experiences, BTW I’ve been dealing with same dealership for the last 20 yrs. They’re good folks and have treated me right. Sorry you have had bad experiences with dealers. 

34 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sorry but that’s just not been my experiences, BTW I’ve been dealing with same dealership for the last 20 yrs. They’re good folks and have treated me right. Sorry you have had bad experiences with dealers. 

Yup, sounds like you have a good relationship with yours.

Fortunately I have good relationships with several FFLs and LGS to keep me happy. :D

We are at the dealer in Fresno right now.  Easy paperwork, no hassles, waiting for detailing to finish.  Dealing with fleet mgr instead of lot vultures is SO much easier.

33 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup, sounds like you have a good relationship with yours.

Fortunately I have good relationships with several FFLs and LGS to keep me happy. :D

Me too!! I used to work part time cat one of them. :)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

BTW I’ve been dealing with same dealership for the last 20 yrs. They’re good folks and have treated me right. Sorry you have had bad experiences with dealers. 

I've been dealing with the same used car place for a number of years now, and they've always treated me fairly. He's even given decent trade-in value on cars that he knew were junk. Whenever I've bought from him, and there was a concern with the car, he always had his mechanic shop fix it for us. 

Just bought a new to me truck from a neighbor kid who was getting married, moving and I love it.  2001 Dodge Ram1500 SLT Quadcab, 5.9, 130K miles, new 4 speed trans, radiator, tires, biggie rear end etc.  Everything works. Total cost right under $4,000.  Runs great.  What a truck should be in my mind.  My wife just took off in it to go shopping because she drives em like she stole em....  Cheap tags, chap insurance.  Junk yard parts will keep it going long after the computerized wonder machines bite the dust.  I have AAA towing, so why not?  Definitely not a daily driver though.

If I was buying new, midsize it would be a Fronteer.  It is the last of the non-direct injected, little aluminum turbo motor, big computer screens staring you in the face for way too much cost of ownership.  Alternative would be V6 last model Tacoma. 

Let us know what you just bought.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

After 2023 the 3.5l V6 is gone from Tacoma, replaced by turbo and/or EV

My son just got a 2023 Tacoma with the 6 cyl. Nice truck 4x4

On 12/2/2023 at 10:58 AM, bgavin said:

Sport Mode is a push button setting that changes the transmission shift points.
In short, it avoids the chronic hunting that automatics do in the gov't-mandated "eco" mode, where they try to keep the RPM as low as possible.

Endless shifting plays Hobb with the clutch packs, same as endless clutch cycles do with a manual transmission.
Every time you push the pedal, you engage the throwout bearing, which like all mechanical parts has a finite life span.

The other annoying part of hunting automatics is the big lag between punching the throttle and getting a response.
My wifes RAV4 (same transmission as Tacoma) takes a huge big breath, almost like a turbo winding up, then shifts down 2+ gears before it moves.
As a stickshift driver, I find this tremendously annoying.

The current Toyota 3.5l has the VVT-i variable valve timing and is massively complicated.
The video above points out that it requires pristine oil so it doesn't clog up then grenade the engine.

[ edit ]

It appears I can get what I want (6-sp manual, 6-foot bed) but only in 4WD.
This will be occasionally useful for me, and something I can deal with to get the two features I really want.
Now, the trick will be finding the M/T model, as they are scarce.

Where do you find it? We just bought the 4X4 with that engine and auto trans and I haven't located it.

kR

2 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Where do you find it? We just bought the 4X4 with that engine and auto trans and I haven't located it.

kR

I believe it's a dial right under the radio to the left on the lower part of the dashboard. That's where my son's is on his 2023 4X4

In the 2016 RAV, it is the "eco button" which is multiple push function.
Push #1 = Sport Mode
Push #2 = ECO Mode

Push #3 = (off) default mode.

My 2023 Tacoma is the "ECT" push button.

So far, it appears to two pushes only:  default and Sport mode.

It behaves differently on the 2023 than on the 2016.
The 2023 stays in each gear even longer than the 2016.

We did a 360 mile round trip yesterday, down to Fresno and back to get the truck.
Long day.

70+ mph, V6 and got 26.2 mpg, and I have a radio that works.
Last night I dropped into 4LO to edge it into the side yard behind the locking gate.
Catalytic thieves have hit us 3x so far, and the new truck does not yet have a welded cat cage installed to stop theft.
I am working on that today, as well as getting a locking gas cap from Toyota Parts, and starting a search for a topper camper shell.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a locking gas cap from NAPA.
A few days later, the truck threw a Check Engine light.
I put the factory cap back in place.

I stopped by my shop today, and the guys scanned the check codes.
Two EVAP system errors.

Aftermarket locking gas caps don't work.
There are SO many complaints about them.
I'm so disappointed Toyota refuses to make a locking cap that works in their vehicles.
Modern tanks have anti-siphon hardware, but no protection from a snot nose vandal pouring sugar down your gas tank.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I bought a locking gas cap from NAPA.
A few days later, the truck threw a Check Engine light.
I put the factory cap back in place.

I stopped by my shop today, and the guys scanned the check codes.
Two EVAP system errors.

Aftermarket locking gas caps don't work.
There are SO many complaints about them.
I'm so disappointed Toyota refuses to make a locking cap that works in their vehicles.
Modern tanks have anti-siphon hardware, but no protection from a snot nose vandal pouring sugar down your gas tank.

image.thumb.png.064c4087dcba461c4baeb6db842f115c.png

12 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

image.thumb.png.064c4087dcba461c4baeb6db842f115c.png

My 2023 Buick Encore gas NO gas cap!! Weird !

It appears the bean counters figured out the cost of a gas cap would make a $40k vehicle too expensive.

I see fully loaded Ford pickups in my area with $100k price tags in the window.
I wonder if they have gas caps.

27 minutes ago, bgavin said:

It appears the bean counters figured out the cost of a gas cap would make a $40k vehicle too expensive.

I see fully loaded Ford pickups in my area with $100k price tags in the window.
I wonder if they have gas caps.

Mine doesn't have a cap at all.  It's just a spring loaded flap under the locking little door

11 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

Mine doesn't have a cap at all.  It's just a spring loaded flap under the locking little door

My 21 GMC as well. When I gas up the old Ford plow truck, gotta remember to put the cap back.:P

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

What is the more accepted caliber for Hunting Trucks these days??  Hmmmmmmmm.

.50 caliber???:lol:

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t understand the reason why there’s no gas caps anymore! :blink:

Had good luck with my last 3 trucks. 

Had a 97 Ford F250 7.3 diesel. That thing was a work horse.

Sold it after 350,000 miles and don't know how many more then ended up on it. 

My old Dodge 3500 I have had since 2003 is still going. It's been one great truck. 

Still drive it almost every day. Just could let it go when I got a new one. 

In 2019 we got a Ford F250 with the 6.7 diesel.   So far I have really liked it. Been a great truck. 

Anything less than a 3/4 ton just won't work for us.  

My lady just got out of an '03 Chevy Tahoe and into a '19 Ford Ranger. The payments are less than the was spending on parts and work on the Tahoe, but that was not the big problem. Finding quality parts is becoming a big problem. Her main need is to pull a small RV and parts issues meant not making her desired Florida trip over the summer.

I have an '05 Chevy Silverado (2500) and am starting to feel the parts pinch myself. So far, I have been able to wait on parts but there is a slowly developing front end clunk and looseness and I'm not real happy about my after-market part choices.

Also searching for a rear diff for my '15 AWD Charger Pursuit, I can get a rear driveshaft custom made for twice what an OEM unit would cost, if I could get one. Did manage to get the front half of the drivetrain replaced this year.

For surprisingly recent models, quality replacement parts are a problem. Wrecking yards may be the best source in some cases.

But as to the ranger, seems to be a good vehicle. A bit basic on the inside (plastic interior panels) but sufficient towing capacity for her needs. It goes to the dealership for a warrantee covered repair in the morning (found in pre-purchase inspection by the dealership). Will do a few other additions. The 10-speed transmission works well and the turbo-4 cylinder has plenty of spunk.

It is no 2500 level workhorse, but is a very comfortable driver.

i need to tart looking , my 05 is on its last legs but still running good so far , and i like it a lot , whatever i buy ill be looking at my last i think cause i tend to hang onto whatever i have till it dies and i figure a newer one will outlive me , 

Skip the 2024 Tacomas.
Toyota is retiring the current two engines in Tacoma and replacing them with all new designs.
The chassis and bodies are also longer, wider, taller, bigger and heavier than 2023 models.

Mom says, "Just so No, to One Dot Oh"
No v1.0 engines or products for me, thanks.
The 2023 engines are the final evolution of their lines, and with all the bug fixes applied.

Turbo chargers on truck gasoline engines are as practical as a screen door on submarine.
Turbo diesel is well worthwhile, because the engine is designed for this.

2024 Tacomas will also see the introduction of EV batteries.
When you get into a bad accident, the Jaws of Life folks have to phone in your VIN to a pay service that advises them where / where not they can cut you out.
EV batteries burn with white smoke, which fire fighters were taught is a safe fire to put out.
Lithium white smoke fires are hugely toxic.

EVs suspected of catching fire have to be towed to special concrete bunker and isolated up to 14 days.
This is "expensive".

My lodge master is a fraud investigator for insurance companies, and tells me all the above EV horror stories.

Mom says, "Just so No, to One Dot Oh"
No v1.0 engines or products for me, thanks.
The 2023 engines are the final evolution of their lines, and with all the bug fixes applied.

Maybe you can find a brand new 2023, my son did a couple months ago. He loves it . 6cyl 4 WD

On 12/2/2023 at 12:58 PM, bgavin said:

Sport Mode is a push button setting that changes the transmission shift points.
In short, it avoids the chronic hunting that automatics do in the gov't-mandated "eco" mode, where they try to keep the RPM as low as possible.

Endless shifting plays Hobb with the clutch packs, same as endless clutch cycles do with a manual transmission.
Every time you push the pedal, you engage the throwout bearing, which like all mechanical parts has a finite life span.

The other annoying part of hunting automatics is the big lag between punching the throttle and getting a response.
My wifes RAV4 (same transmission as Tacoma) takes a huge big breath, almost like a turbo winding up, then shifts down 2+ gears before it moves.
As a stickshift driver, I find this tremendously annoying.

The current Toyota 3.5l has the VVT-i variable valve timing and is massively complicated.
The video above points out that it requires pristine oil so it doesn't clog up then grenade the engine.

[ edit ]

It appears I can get what I want (6-sp manual, 6-foot bed) but only in 4WD.
This will be occasionally useful for me, and something I can deal with to get the two features I really want.
Now, the trick will be finding the M/T model, as they are scarce.

Are you sure it doesn’t do more than that? When I select sport mode in my car it changes the throttle response, the suspension stiffness, the steering and the exhaust. On automatic versions it changes the shift points too. Admittedly it’s a car not a truck.

I wish I still had my Ranger, that was a great little truck!!

Archived