SASS Wire Forum

Guns Of The Old West -- Athlon Magazine Group Closing???

Cholla

I heard through the grapevine that the Athlon magazine group is closing shop. I don't know if that means just the print version or digital as well. I see this on their website:

image.thumb.png.6700c1fd566c1227fb8d0b93fc1b7066.png

I was buying this magazine and also subscribed for awhile. I pick it up occasionally if there’s something interesting but there’s usually not. 

I gave up on them. I never received half of my mags and the last one I got was mostly about air guns. That was 2019, I think. 

Actually, the only gun mags I get now are American Rifleman and Concealed Carry. Both come because of memberships - NRA & USCCA

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I gave up on them. I never received half of my mags and the last one I got was mostly about air guns. That was 2019, I think. 

Actually, the only gun mags I get now are American Rifleman and Concealed Carry. Both come because of memberships - NRA & USCCA

I also get American Rifleman and I also get Handgunner. 

Strange how they only sold the firearm related portion of the business. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a woke agenda on one of the companies part.

The article also states that the (selling) parent company lost $11 million in the last quarter. Hard to stay in business with those type of losses.

I have no idea what all publications might be involved beyond GOTOW.  However, I gave up on GOTOW a couple of years ago.  There wern't enough articles of interest to justify the price, and the articles of interest were filled with inaccuracies.

Please subscribe to GUNS and American Handgunner. My article on the Black Bart commemorative Colt is in the latest issue of AH. I have not seen a copy yet. 

5 hours ago, Cholla said:

Please subscribe to GUNS and American Handgunner. My article on the Black Bart commemorative Colt is in the latest issue of AH. I have not seen a copy yet. 

And it is a very fun article!

8 hours ago, Cholla said:

Your a published author? Awesome.

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Strange how they only sold the firearm related portion of the business. I hate to say it, but it sounds like a woke agenda on one of the companies part.

The article also states that the (selling) parent company lost $11 million in the last quarter. Hard to stay in business with those type of losses.

Or not political and all. This sell might have simply been a means to generate needed revenue to prop up the rest of the group. Print media is largely dead anyway, and severing the companies gun publications  from an organization who’s interests are directed elsewhere, and sometimes contrary to gun rights, is not a bad thing.

And think about it, Sports Illustrated, a former sister publication under Athlon can’t even produce a swimsuit issue without trannies on the cover.
Well, I’m kinda of partial to the you go your way, I’ll go mine philosophy. It’s liberating in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Thanks. It keeps me off the streets. 
https://gunsmagazine.com/?s=Garbers

You must hire an editor. You didn’t catch me using “your” instead of “you’re.”

47 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Well, I’m kinda of partial to the you go your way, I’ll go mine philosophy. It’s liberating in my opinion.

Unfortunately that's not the way things seem to go anymore. Too many people that apparently don't have enough business of their own to mind. 

i think print has gone out of style to a great degree , too easy to google and subscribe to on line reading material , audio books are replacing the written as well , i still prefer reading from a magazine or book tho , even the newspaper 

17 hours ago, Cholla said:

I read that article and had no idea you wrote it! Good stuff!! I subscribe to Am. Handgunner.

10 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Unfortunately that's not the way things seem to go anymore. Too many people that apparently don't have enough business of their own to mind. 

This is true 

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

i think print has gone out of style to a great degree , too easy to google and subscribe to on line reading material , audio books are replacing the written as well , i still prefer reading from a magazine or book tho , even the newspaper 

A worthy book is worth having in print.

14 hours ago, Cholla said:

Thanks. It keeps me off the streets. 
https://gunsmagazine.com/?s=Garbers

I appreciate your contributions in "Muzzle Blasts" as well!

11 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

This is true 

A worthy book is worth having in print.

i agree wholeheartedly , i only read books i dont listen to audio books , its hard to go back and reread the important details when you need to , 

On 12/2/2023 at 1:14 AM, watab kid said:

at least they are honest , im hoping it stays around , i like reading magazines and newspapers when good people write for them , im not into tabloids 

Wonder if they'll refund mine! Was sent in a couple months ago.

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Same here. Along with a free subscription to add another person.

When I sent in my subscription renewal and the free gift offer I told them to bill me later as that was an option. (Something in the back of my brain told me not to write a check at that time.) The recipient of the free off has gotten a notification of his gift subscription but I have not been billed. Guess only time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, Cholla said:

Yeah... resurrecting a topic... :rolleyes:

I picked up a copy of the latest AH and read the article on the Black Bart commemorative. Great article! Loved it! (I had no idea you were part of this magazine... excellent job!) In fact, AH is full of good stuff. (I've never paid it much attention before... I know, I've been missing out). As an apparent former subscriber to Guns of the Old West :( I am excited to get my hands on a new to me hand-gunning magazine. I have tried for three days to get the online subscription page to work but there is some glitch not letting me go forward to pay. I'll check after the new year. I look forward to see what American Handgunner and GUNS have to offer.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Yeah... resurrecting a topic... :rolleyes:

I picked up a copy of the latest AH and read the article on the Black Bart commemorative. Great article! Loved it! (I had no idea you were part of this magazine... excellent job!) In fact, AH is full of good stuff. (I've never paid it much attention before... I know, I've been missing out). As an apparent former subscriber to Guns of the Old West :( I am excited to get my hands on a new to me hand-gunning magazine. I have tried for three days to get the online subscription page to work but there is some glitch not letting me go forward to pay. I'll check after the new year. I look forward to see what American Handgunner and GUNS have to offer.

Cheers!

Thanks! It is my first time in AH but there are more to come. I recommend you listen to the GUNS podcasts or watch the YouTube channel. GUNS and AH are very pro-revolver-oriented.

On 11/30/2023 at 2:16 AM, watab kid said:

I think you’re correct. Print media is going down the same path as blockbuster video. Just taking more time to do it .

Does anybody still rent videos? 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I think you’re correct. Print media is going down the same path as blockbuster video. Just taking more time to do it .

Does anybody still rent videos? 

Yes, you can still rent videos but you rent them streaming. Usually get them for about a 24 hours.

Archived