SASS Wire Forum

Four gun travel case?

Tall John

For those of you that do a lot of traveling to events with a single gun case,  for all four firearms (2p, 1s & 1r) what brand, model#, size do you recommend?

I use MidwayUSA’s three gun case: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939599610?pid=599610

I’ve been very happy with it. One pistol each in the two large front pockets and then rifle and shotgun on either side of the main compartment. 

There are times I wish I had a hardsided case…but I haven’t been willing to spend the money when this one has worked well for years. 

Harbor Freight has a nice 2 gun hard case (Pelican knock-off) on sale for Black Friday.  With our short long guns it may fit 2 revolvers.  I tend to like something that doesn't scream 'I'm a gun, steal me' but it is hard with two, or more, long guns.

Howdy Tall,

Plus one for the Harbor Freight (I know, I don't like giving money to the Chinese either.). They can hold two long guns plus revolvers. They can take padlocks, have wheels and handles for dragging. The down sides are that they are heavy (strong) and have weird pull out foam pieces to customize the fit. Overall, for the price, I'm happy with them. I have two so I can carry my backups.

Rev. Chase

18 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

Pelican make a great case. 

IMG_8327.jpeg

Do you know the model number or dimensions?  I like this size as it isn't as long as some of the others.

9 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Tall,

Plus one for the Harbor Freight (I know, I don't like giving money to the Chinese either.). They can hold two long guns plus revolvers. They can take padlocks, have wheels and handles for dragging. The down sides are that they are heavy (strong) and have weird pull out foam pieces to customize the fit. Overall, for the price, I'm happy with them. I have two so I can carry my backups.

Rev. Chase

Hey Rev,

I like the price but would prefer a case that isn't so long. 

20 minutes ago, Tall John said:

Do you know the model number or dimensions?  I like this size as it isn't as long as some of the others.

Looks like the Pelican Vault V730. I have the V800.

21 minutes ago, Tall John said:

Mine is the V730 Vault from Pelican:

• DIMENSIONS (LWH | inches): Exterior 47.12 x 19.18 x 6.90 | Interior 44.00 x 16.00 x 6.25 - WEIGHT WITH FOAM: 22.07 Lbs (10 kg)

Totes,  I have the pistol version of this case and I really like it!  At $199 it isn't much more expensive than the Harbor Freight case!

Thanks Everyone....I just put this on my list for Santa!

I have the Plano unit from Amazon. It carries all 4 guns but like the others have said, it is heavy. It is only 42" long at 13 pounds. Just a little over $100.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7SB486/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TM

Plano gun guard. 
I took out the pluck foam, cut a memory foam mattress topper to fit bottom & top, and one for middle. 
I put shotgun, rifle, pistol, layer of foam, then another rifle, shotgun pistol. They fit tight. Guns don’t move. Case is heavy, but has wheels. 

I have been using a Pelican 1750 with Kaizen foam inserts. 15 years of flighting, only one latch has broken. Pelican replaced for free.

In Connecticut, Kaizen foam can be bought from Kaizen Source, Wallingford CT. 833-452-4936. You can bring your guns in and they will custom cut the foam.

I have a big old softball bag.  SXS and two pistols in rugs with everything else can go in it.  Rifle in a separate soft slip.  Doesn't yell gun but it doesn't fly either.

I have never had a problem with a Pelican and I have 3 or 4.  You pay for quality.  

My problem with suitcases, range bags, etc etc is it always seems like there is a better solution but I haven't found it.  For travel I have settled on a rollerboard that fits in the overhead and a briefcase that slips over the handle so I carry nothing...Just drag that rollerboard.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Plano gun guard. 
I took out the pluck foam, cut a memory foam mattress topper to fit bottom & top, and one for middle. 
I put shotgun, rifle, pistol, layer of foam, then another rifle, shotgun pistol. They fit tight. Guns don’t move. Case is heavy, but has wheels. 

What thickness Mattress topper did you go with?

22 minutes ago, Tall John said:

What thickness Mattress topper did you go with?

About 1”   Memory foam 

Personally, I like the MagPul Daka system. Allows frequent customization, fits a wide variety of hard gun cases,  and holds guns in place well. I dislike cutting foam and always feel that I need to change something after it is cut. Replacement foam is ridiculously expensive as well.

DAKA Grid Organizer - Magpul DAKA Rifle Case Grid Organizer

I use a hard sided golf club case that has wheels. I can easily get four long guns in it and a pair of pistols. When taking it into a hotel it looks like I just have golf clubs. I had to purchase some foam for padding and support for the guns.

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

Plano gun guard. 

This is what it looks like. I keep my guns in Borestores in the safe. They are very good protection. 

IMG_5818.jpeg

IMG_5819.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

2 hours ago, J. M. BROWN, SASS # 27309 said:

SKB makes a good case. Been using one for all my travels to EOT and WR for years.

skbcases.com

JM

I have an SKB and a Pelican, each hold 4 guns. I like the SKB best, it’s easier to open and close.

Randy

i dont travel by air so i seldom use my pelican cases - i do have them and highly recommend them , they store my guns in the off season under locks , i generally travel by my truck or the wifes motor home and i use a soft case , it holds two divided with cushion long guns that the side pouch is near full length and holds three revolvers comfortably , 

i arry ammo in separate bags  as i have dedicated bags for all of that , i dont mind taking extra even tho ive seldom needed it , 

On 11/17/2023 at 10:07 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I have an SKB and a Pelican, each hold 4 guns. I like the SKB best, it’s easier to open and close.

Randy

I have a SKB it holds 4 long guns and 4 pistols, it's heavy but has wheels

On 11/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, J. M. BROWN, SASS # 27309 said:

SKB makes a good case. Been using one for all my travels to EOT and WR for years.

skbcases.com

JM

Bought one for  travel to Alaska! It traveled VERY well! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Pelican.  Absolutely the best if it fits within your budget.  For hunting and flying I prefer a 2 rifle case, which also holds knives, binos, ammo, handgun and rifle.  This also works very well for CAS.

Archived