SASS Wire Forum

Showing ID to buy magazines

Rye Miles #13621

Some guy on Twitter X, was complaining about having to show his ID to buy a 30 round magazine at a Bass Pro Shop in Indiana. He lives in Indiana and they're legal there but not in neighboring Illinois which is why the corporate policy apparently exists. He was all frustrated about it, I can see his point but I can also see the the company's point about maybe selling an illegal product to someone in Illinois. It's possibly a legal liability issue.

I would have just showed my ID , what say you?

I've had to show my pistol permit* to buy some after market magazines for the Luger I own.  I'm wasn't angry at the seller, they are just covering themselves from lawsuits and/or the state or Federal government making their ability to do business very difficult.

*CT has three levels of permits

The lowest level is a permit to buy ammo and it can be obtained by a non-resident

The next is a long gun permit which allows a CT resident to buy rifles, shotguns and ammo

Then there is the pistol permit, which allows a CT resident to carry a concealed handgun most places, buy handguns, rifles, shotguns and ammo

Anything firearms related is going to require at least age 18, so I would not get bent over ID.

Many stores around here ID everyone for alcohol purchase even though I clearly look like I am over 25 (technical requirement in the law is to ID 25 and lower).

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Anything firearms related is going to require at least age 18, so I would not get bent over ID.

Many stores around here ID everyone for alcohol purchase even though I clearly look like I am over 25 (technical requirement in the law is to ID 25 and lower).

Yep, same around here.

Our liberal governor just implemented a three day waiting period on gun purchases “to save lives”

want to cash a check? ID required 

want to set up a bank account? ID required 

want to buy a gun? ID required and a LEO background check 

want to deposit more than $10 grand? ID required 

Want to vote? Currently have mail in ballots only, ID? heck no!

Used to be a great place, rapidly going downhill. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I knew where that was going regarding ID.....

Not required to vote.  They always yell voters rights, vote suppressed...  Then we find out the dead are voting, felons voting, illegals voting...

Seems that diluting my valid vote is the real suppression.  And on real suppression the media has a silencer.

For the record I’ve never had to show my ID to buy a magazine or ammo for that matter. Not here in Ohio!

In 2012 I was in Oregon visiting from CA. I wanted to purchase some 30 round AR mags. A lady was ringing up my order when this guy comes over and says “We need to see your ID.” I asked why. He said “It’s the law!”.

I showed him my ID and he cancelled the sale. I was a bit miffed but I figured “The law is the law”. 

My buddy and I went to another gun shop and I asked them about the particulars of this law that I have to show ID. 
There was no law. The guy told me it was that particular store’s policy. 

I figure the guy said it was the law just to quash any disputes. 

I found out after I moved to Oregon that the store I was at that denied the sale of my mags recorded everyone’s license information. They also hated Californians. Maybe they still do. Regardless, they didn’t need my money or my personal information. 

My 71 year old brother, that lives nMaryland, has to show his driver's  license to purchase clay pigeons.  He asked why and was answered 'because it is gun related."

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

In 2012 I was in Oregon visiting from CA. I wanted to purchase some 30 round AR mags. A lady was ringing up my order when this guy comes over and says “We need to see your ID.” I asked why. He said “It’s the law!”.

I showed him my ID and he cancelled the sale. I was a bit miffed but I figured “The law is the law”. 

My buddy and I went to another gun shop and I asked them about the particulars of this law that I have to show ID. 
There was no law. The guy told me it was that particular store’s policy. 

I figure the guy said it was the law just to quash any disputes. 

I found out after I moved to Oregon that the store I was at that denied the sale of my mags recorded everyone’s license information. They also hated Californians. Maybe they still do. Regardless, they didn’t need my money or my personal information. 

I have only bought >10 round capacity magazines twice since 2013 at a gun show & at at big box sporting goods store.  I bought standard cap mags for a CZ 85 that I brought with me when I moved to Northern NV from CA.  I bought a couple of P365 15 round mags a couple of years ago.  I have only have had to show an ID to purchase firearms except once in 2021 to enter a LGS in Carson City.  I had been in the store a year before & you didn't have to be buzzed in.  In 2021 they had a sign in the door that said they wouldn't sell ammo to California residents.  That day I bought a Kimber & the max 2 boxes of ammo.  I asked the manager why the sign & the locked door.   He said that when ammo became scarce in mid 2020 people visiting from CA buying ammo meant his local customers were pissed that there never was any ammo.  I haven't stopped by the store since I've been told by the misses that we have enough guns.

Until recently, the Bass here carried a lot of gun magazines; the majors: Guns, Guns and Ammo, Shooting Times, and lot of the speciality ones, too.

Then just a few months ago, they were all gone from the various racks, replaced by beef jerky and such.

I asked the clerk where were all the magazines? Washington had recently passed a 'high capacity' ban. He talked about the law and such until I realized we were talking about different kinds of gun magazines.

He couldn't explain it. I regularly bought Guns and G & A. I miss them, but I have no desire to subscribe. Don't now where else to buy them on the rack.

14 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

... I asked the clerk where were all the magazines? Washington had recently passed a 'high capacity' ban. He talked about the law and such until I realized we were talking about different kinds of gun magazines.

Maybe some are no longer magazines, they now need to be called periodicals.

And clips are not magazines. My SKS uses clips to load the magazine.

But I do try to be tolerant of those who use terms in a way that is not sufficiently precise, we all know what everyone meant a decade ago, so have to be flexible today.

On second thought, the clerk might not have had any clue what you meant by "periodical."

And on edit, I envision a conversation...

---------------------------------------------------

Customer: Why do you no longer carry firearms periodicals?

Employee? Periodicals?

C: Monthly collections of written articles talking about various firearms, ammo, accessories, and activities.

E: Oh, you mean magazines...

1 minute ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Do they still log any handgun ammo in a book?

I don’t know, in Ohio I don’t think so. I think it’s just on the inventory list. 

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t know, in Ohio I don’t think so. I think it’s just on the inventory list. 

The reason I ask is that back when I was a kid there, any handgun ammo purchased was logged by the store in a ledger. They entered your name, the date, and caliber. They said it was Ohio law. I just wondered if they still did it. 

What year was this?

When they come up with the totally unconstitutional gun control act of 1968, one of the provisions was that you had to sign the ammo book. Whenever you bought ammunition you had to show your driver's license and sign the book write down your name and your license number. That's why I know my driver's license number. I wrote it down so many times between 73 when I started shooting and 86 when that part of the law was repealed as part of the firearm owners protection act of 1986.

So if you were a kid in Ohio between 68 and 86, that wasn't a state law. It was Federal.

Piss on BP & Cabelas .

Support your local gun shop .

Rooster 

5 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Piss on BP & Cabelas .

Support your local gun shop .

Rooster 

Yep I always do! 

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What year was this?

When they come up with the totally unconstitutional gun control act of 1968, one of the provisions was that you had to sign the ammo book. Whenever you bought ammunition you had to show your driver's license and sign the book write down your name and your license number. That's why I know my driver's license number. I wrote it down so many times between 73 when I started shooting and 86 when that part of the law was repealed as part of the firearm owners protection act of 1986.

So if you were a kid in Ohio between 68 and 86, that wasn't a state law. It was Federal.

I didn’t start shooting and buying firearms, etc until 1990. 

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What year was this?

That was the timeframe. They may have said Federal, or they may have just said it was the law. 

I was at Scheels in Reno last week.
Plunked down a box of 44 mag and my credit card.
He ran the card, asked if I needed a bag.
No thanks, I'll just carry it

That went just like I remember how it went as a kid in Idaho.
CA is not like that at all.  Not even close.

If they are legal to buy, I don't know why they should check ID. Even if they are illegal in Illinois, one could be buying them to keep in Indiana. That happened (maybe still happens) in Reno, where Californians buy standard capacity magazines but store them in Reno for when they are competing outside of Calfornia.

As I understand the wording, one is not allowed to "possess" large capacity mags in CA.
Same as owning a real estate property outside of CA and beyond reach of CA property taxes, mags owned outside of CA are legal to own.
Same goes for firearms not on the CA register.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Until recently, the Bass here carried a lot of gun magazines; the majors: Guns, Guns and Ammo, Shooting Times, and lot of the speciality ones, too.

Then just a few months ago, they were all gone from the various racks, replaced by beef jerky and such.

I asked the clerk where were all the magazines? Washington had recently passed a 'high capacity' ban. He talked about the law and such until I realized we were talking about different kinds of gun magazines.

He couldn't explain it. I regularly bought Guns and G & A. I miss them, but I have no desire to subscribe. Don't now where else to buy them on the rack.

To eliminate any confusion use "ammunition feeding device" for a firearms accessory that holds the cartridges that are feed into a firearm's chamber.

10 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Well, the confusion was resolved, but I still never found out why Bass suddenly stopped selling all of the firearms periodicals. All of them.

Bass Pro, I can not explain. For a bunch of other stores like Kroger, it looks like management did it:

http://www.thegunmag.com/popular-gun-periodicals-pulled-from-shelves/

I was at Walmart in Reno last week.
Even though NV is an Open Carry state, Walmart in Reno says they will not sell 223, 9mm or other hand gun cartridges.
The only sell rifle and shotgun now.
Walmart has succumbed to political pressure, nationwide.

Archived