SASS Wire Forum

Flashlight Wars

Seems like every company out there is toting what they call the latest and greatest flashlight since peanut butter. My Brinkmans suck.  So I almost fell for some of the hype . Talked to some of the LGS’s. Each shop seemed to promote one brand or another, but when I checked them out and for the price I hesitated. Then a Stranger in one of the shops said that he might know what I was looking for. He took me out to his truck and showed me his Nitecore Flashlight. Luckily we were under cloudy skies at the end of the day, therefore I was able to get a pretty fair example of its capabilities. He gave me the website address. 

I now own four of their flashlights, the battery charger and spare batteries, plus 2 headlamps. (1 for me and 1 for the wife. The flashlight with the adjustable head also has a magnetic base. It stays in the truck. If you’re in the market, at least check out the Nitecore website. 

IMG_0474.jpeg

Thanks for the info.

I've used Streamlite for years and they seem to work great also.

I have them for handheld and I also have them for pistols and one of their newer models on my 

Beretta 1301.   It totes a nice 2000 lumens.

BUT.... I will check out nitecore.

..........Widder

I still have a bunch of the old original Mag Lights  (I used to live a mile north of their factory and knew a bunch of their employees).  My only dislikes about them is that they are not rechargeable and they are all as heavy as a school bus.

I have a drawer full of old small MagLites that the batteries went dead while in glove boxes etc. Ya can't get em apart once the battery corrodes!

Thanks for the heads up T3.

I sent Night Core a message from the US webpage and asked “Where are your lights manufactured?”

They’re based out of Singapore. If they’re made in Singapore I may give them a try. 

I have a few lights made by Olight. When I first started purchasing their lights I was told they were made in South Korea. I was okay with that. Then I found out recently that this is not true. They are purely a Chinese company and all products are made in China.

This ticked me off, but also it surprised me. Olight lights are excellent. They are tough, reliable and they work very very well. Something I do not expect from anything made in China. 
https://madefind.com/where-is-olight-made/

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Thanks for the heads up T3.

I sent Night Core a message from the US webpage and asked “Where are your lights manufactured?”

They’re based out of Singapore. If they’re made in Singapore I may give them a try. 

I have a few lights made by Olight. When I first started purchasing their lights I was told they were made in South Korea. I was okay with that. Then I found out recently that this is not true. They are purely a Chinese company and all products are made in China.

This ticked me off, but also it surprised me. Olight lights are excellent. They are tough, reliable and they work very very well. Something I do not expect from anything made in China. 
https://madefind.com/where-is-olight-made/

I have one too.  Great little flashlight. 

Just bought an Olight Arkfeld UV. I use the UV at night to spot scorpions in order to keep Custer from stepping on them.

I had a cheap UV light before but it was annoying to keep fiddling with the switch to get it to light properly.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I still have a bunch of the old original Mag Lights  (I used to live a mile north of their factory and knew a bunch of their employees).  My only dislikes about them is that they are not rechargeable and they are all as heavy as a school bus.

I actually prefer batteries. Seems like when you need it a rechargeable is dead or weak and you're SOL. With a batt light you pop in new batts and you're in business. If the contacts are corroded you at least still have a chance.

My 2 cents,

JHC

5 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I had a cheap UV light before but it was annoying to keep fiddling with the switch to get it to light properly.

Those make good targets. ;)

I refuse to fool with funky flashlights. I grew up in a household where cheap crappy lights were the standard it seems. My Dad would buy these yellow and black flashlights at the hardware store then buy generic cheap batteries then complain the lights wouldn’t work right. Drove me nuts. 
Maybe that’s why I have decent flashlights at my house. Streamlight, Olights, a couple Maglites and the sleeper deal flashlights. Those Duracell flashlights they sell at Costco in the 3 pack. Those are darn good lights for the money. I have given quite a few of those away over the years to help out people. 
But I must say that for the money Olights are top notch. It just really ticked me off that they’re made in China. 

9 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I have a few of the Harbor Freight $9 LED types.
Works great.

I had some of those in our “power outage emergency kit”. They worked great until I needed them. Not kidding. They got recycled. 

I have a drawer full of Flashlights. They range from small to butlky large. I also have a Streamlight and Olight. FOr some reason I just like the Nitecore better. Each comes with its own charging cable. I bought the spare batteries and charger for quick change outs. I personally prefer this method. They also make a solar charger. High lumens light I found just go thru batteries so much faster. So, I ended up carrying too many batteries with me. Then there’s the issue of disposing those other batteries. Although disposal is an issue with either battery, at least I don’t have to carry around batteries (added weight) and then go buy more. Also regular batteries go bad over time if not stored in a cool dry place. I learned that the hard way during a 14 day power outage here. I always bought Duracell or Energizer for our emergency kit. Ended up having to travel out for new batteries. Ain’t cheap! Just me! To each their own. 

6 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Just bought an Olight Arkfeld UV. I use the UV at night to spot scorpions in order to keep Custer from stepping on them.

I just checked the Olight UV light you mentioned. That’s a cool light. I am putting that on my Christmas list. ;)

OLIGHT Arkfeld UV 365nm Black Light, 1000 Lumens White LED Flashlight, Rechargeable UV Flashlight for Camping, Outdoors, Emergency, Pet Urine Detection (Neutral White Light: 4000~5000K) https://a.co/d/hzWdLIA

On 10/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, bgavin said:

I have a few of the Harbor Freight $9 LED types.
Works great.

I picked up a dozen or so when they were giving them away with any purchase over $5.00 (?)

Got them stashed all over my house, garage, and workshop for emergencies.  Change the batteries every year about Christmas time.

On 10/21/2023 at 4:32 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I actually prefer batteries. Seems like when you need it a rechargeable is dead or weak and you're SOL. With a batt light you pop in new batts and you're in business. If the contacts are corroded you at least still have a chance.

My 2 cents,

JHC

I've got a couple like this that stay plugged in in my vehicles. Got them at Walmart for about $15. 

12657d3f-0c67-471a-835d-ce6c74f300a2.ceb7dbef9264fe302a2a25f6b4fc17ad.jpeg?odnHeight=2000&odnWidth=2000&odnBg=FFFFFF

If you don't have a generator, there  is a new lightbulb which will provide light without electricity for 12 hours. If I didn't have a generator, I'd be all over it.  You can even use it as an indoor flashlight, simply unscrewing it from the lamp.  Not expensive, saw it at Radio Shack.

Howdy,

I find a little streamlight aaa light in my pocket works great.

I use it all the time and dont need lights all over.

I found over the years that big lights usually dead for those emergencies.

Little lights that work beat big  lights that are dead.

Best

CR

@Tennessee Trapper Tom I got a response from Nitecore. 
(my real name is Tom)

Dear Tom,

Our products are manufactured at the Nitecore factory located in China.

If you would like to reach out to them with a specific question, you can do so at info@nitecore.com

Thank you,

Michael W.
Customer Service

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

@Tennessee Trapper Tom I got a response from Nitecore. 
(my real name is Tom)

Dear Tom,

Our products are manufactured at the Nitecore factory located in China.

If you would like to reach out to them with a specific question, you can do so at info@nitecore.com

Thank you,

Michael W.
Customer Service

I wont do anymore business with them. I guess Im now going back to stream light and waiting for these Nitcores  to fall apart or give me cancer. F#%F China. Thanks for the update.

The reason I’ll go back to streamlight is that they are made in Pennsylvania. Olight is manufactured in China.

38 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I wont do anymore business with them. I guess Im now going back to stream light and waiting for these Nitcores  to fall apart or give me cancer. F#%F China. Thanks for the update.

Sorry Pard. That’s kind of how I felt when I found out Olight was a Chinese company. I think I was angrier about how the Korean guy that sold the first ones to me told me it was a Korean company. 
Not to add insult to injury but some of Streamlight’s products are manufactured in China, but some are made in USA. 
The only predominantly USA made flashlights these days are Maglite and Surefire. 

I keep a big Maglite in the driver's door pocket of my car; I like its heft.

I keep a couple of smaller Maglites in my tool buckets; they're handy.

My son gave me a bunch of LED rechargeable work lights of various sizes; he received them as promotional samples from the manufacturer (he runs Amazon's tool business).  They are the brightest lights I've ever seen.  They're probably Chinese, but they were free.....

LL

21 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Sorry Pard. That’s kind of how I felt when I found out Olight was a Chinese company. I think I was angrier about how the Korean guy that sold the first ones to me told me it was a Korean company. 
Not to add insult to injury but some of Streamlight’s products are manufactured in China, but some are made in USA. 
The only predominantly USA made flashlights these days are Maglite and Surefire. 

This in addition to the  Surefires I was issued deployed , I looked at the Streamlight TRL1-HL  Weapon light its 1000 lumen a Olight Valkyrie has a high lumen of 1300  and thats if you get the Streamlight HL (high Lumen the standard TRL1 is 300 lumen thats a big difference.

Cost TRL1-HL 150.00ish

Valkyrie    80.00 bucks 

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I keep a big Maglite in the driver's door pocket of my car; I like its heft.

I keep a couple of smaller Maglites in my tool buckets; they're handy.

My son gave me a bunch of LED rechargeable work lights of various sizes; he received them as promotional samples from the manufacturer (he runs Amazon's tool business).  They are the brightest lights I've ever seen.  They're probably Chinese, but they were free.....

LL

Found it:

https://arcantools.com/lighting/alultrafl

Very solid, well made.  5000 LM

LL

28 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Found it:

https://arcantools.com/lighting/alultrafl

Very solid, well made.  5000 LM

LL

My grandson has one of those. He uses it while working on his truck and he takes it camping. 

So, Im considering a weapons light. Im browsing the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. Ive practiced using  a light  offhand, but it seems that a lot of law enforcer like the weapon mounted light. This Streamlight is made in Eagleville PA. Is a weapon mounted light more useful than a n offhand held light. It would be a $150 investment. Do you think its worth the investment.

IMG_0500.png

1 hour ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

So, Im considering a weapons light. Im browsing the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. Ive practiced using  a light  offhand, but it seems that a lot of law enforcer like the weapon mounted light. This Streamlight is made in Eagleville PA. Is a weapon mounted light more useful than a n offhand held light. It would be a $150 investment. Do you think its worth the investment.

A weapon mounted light is easy to use and frees up your off hand to make handling the gun easier. OTOH, it means that wherever you're shining the light, you're pointing your weapon. 

9 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

A weapon mounted light is easy to use and frees up your off hand to make handling the gun easier. OTOH, it means that wherever you're shining the light, you're pointing your weapon. 

That’s kind of what worries me. As I get older it’s becoming harder to break practiced habits. With the light in the offhand, I feel as though I’m not presenting as a an easier target, in addition I can react to something in a direction other than the direction of my weapon, maybe preventing  an accident.  Maybe it’s time for me to pay for some updated training, and try to change some old habits. My brother in law (Ex Swat trainer, San Antonio Texas retired) has told me several times to update my training, but it’s not cheap to do so. Not that I don’t respect his suggestion, I do. Maybe Im just looking for that extra push to make the investment. Thanks. I have a lot to chew on.

• 1 month later...

@Tennessee Trapper Tom

Since this thread about a month ago I have decided that I am sticking with Olight. As far as I am concerned there is no other light company that has products with as much innovation and quality for the money and they have one helluva product line. I have yet to have a malfunction on lights that I have owned and carried for a few years now. 

I just bought this little bundle. Check out the specs on the big one. 
https://www.olightstore.com/marauder-mini-powerful-led-flashlight-bundle-202311

Archived