SASS Wire Forum

Roof Repair

Well... last wind storm we had decided to strip a LOT of the ridge caps off my roof; gonna replace 'em this weekend.  

Turns out there are actual specialized "ridge cap" shingles available - about $63 for a box that'll cover about 20+ feet.  On the other hand, I can buy 3-tab shingles for less than $35 for a bundle of at least 25, each of which I can cut into three "caps."  They just wouldn't be pre-bent like tacos.

Anyone have any roofing experience more current than mine?  Any reason I shouldn't make my own?  :rolleyes:

By the way - the originals were the expensive, folded and pre-bent type.  And they were only stapled in place... no nails!  :huh:

Sheesh.  :mellow:

Corning does a 3 piece flat perforated cap shingle.

3 tabs corner cut work just as well as the made to order product

I hate doing roof jobs. I can’t tell you how many roofs I have helped put on.
My advice; hire someone to use regular shingles to do your cap. 
We don’t bounce the way we used to. ;)

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I hate doing roof jobs. I can’t tell you how many roofs I have helped put on.
My advice; hire someone to use regular shingles to do your cap. 
We don’t bounce the way we used to;)

Yer right... we don't.  :rolleyes:

But young Sassparilla Kid will be doin' the topside work ~ I'll be in charge of manning the grill.  ^_^

If the ridge requires extensive work, consider cutting them all off and installing ridge vent.
I have this on my place and it does an excellent job of helping to vent hot attic air.

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

If the ridge requires extensive work, consider cutting them all off and installing ridge vent.
I have this on my place and it does an excellent job of helping to vent hot attic air.

+1 for the ridge vent.  Really works well.  And yes, buy 3 tab shingles and cut your own caps unless you just want to spend extra money.  I've done tons of roofing jobs and repairs, years ago.  Spent a half day on a roof yesterday replacing some damaged tin (it was a shed, not a residential roof).  My knees are really telling me about it this morning.

I've always used the 3 tab except on this house. Didn't see the value in the extra cost of actual cap shingles. Just less cutting. Mine didn't come pre bent. Just install on a warm day to help eliminate cracking. The ridge vent is nice, but would require cutting a strip of sheathing on either side of the roof, and will add to cost. Venting however is crucial, be sure you have at least venting in the gables and eves.

Where I live…my contractor said I do not want the vented ridge cap. Too windy at my place 

Son in law makes living out of putting bones back together....Gets lots of work from roofers and so called Saturday expert roofers...The ones say I reach that one more inch over...Newton was right about gravity, still works well...

Texas Lizard

My opinion.

Houses need proper roof venting.

Your builder will most likely have used minimum specs cheapest & least efficient to keep costs down.

(hate to say it but many houses were built with approved prints that were still not to code even when new.)

Look up roof venting ratios & requirements/recommendations.

They are along the lines of "good, better , best" for energy efficiency.

You really need to measure your house roof area in square feet (not counting overhangs).

If all the roof area is not connected each area will need separate calculations.

Pay attention to "upper & lower" venting requirements  & spacing.

Yes, ridge venting will really help if done in conjunction with other venting methods such as soffit & gable end & "O-Hagin type" venting.

Yes, usually you should be able to find a 3 tab shingle to cut for ridge cap.

In some cases of higher end laminate shingles they only made colors that matched in "factory" ridge caps.

I was a Purchasing agent & estimator at a large roofing company for many years.

Good luck with your project, stay safe, remember to tie off your ladder.

12 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

+1 for the ridge vent.  Really works well.  And yes, buy 3 tab shingles and cut your own caps unless you just want to spend extra money. 

I agree with LawMan.  

Warm shingles will bend, cold ones will crack.

Thanks, all, for the advice!  :)

Shingles are cut and stacked, ready for tomorrow's installation.  Forecast is for afternoon temperature of mid- to upper-eighties, which should provide for good flexibility of the shingles. 

Garlic-stabbed and dry-rubbed pork tri-tip ready for the grill, with sides of pilaf, mushrooms sauteed with butter, olive oil, and shallots... steamed squash... baked beans... beer and/ or a decent Cabernet...  ^_^  

Now, on the subject of ridgecap vents - a terrific concept, but probably not worthwhile in this case.  The li'l "cottage" is a two story "wedding cake" design, but the gabled roof literally leaves only about six feet of attic space.  Rather, the walls in the upstairs rooms are sloped.  Kinda neat, but the "attic" itself is tiny and well-vented.

Replacing the caps on the lower roof will be simple; access to the top is going to be interesting.  

I think we have it covered, though - an extension ladder in the "valley" should almost serve as a stairway to the top, anchored with two large eye-screws, short chains and carabiners.    Fortunately, I have plenty of ladders.  

Excelsior~!!  :lol:

image.jpeg.0821280694b8282ce6c9f54c8717b0c3.jpeg

these days i always opt to what will outlive me , most things will now , so ill not be making tacos of the flat shingles in lieu of the molded version , a few extra dollars and never again revisited [by me] in this lifetime , 

now , that was the contractor in me talking , i was also an architect and id have an issue if the appearance was offensive and i have no experience with these premolded items , i cany see a one sizse fits all with all the roof pitches i see in todays housing , this would give me pause , 

all that said i have whats called a flat roof and mine is commercial EPDM so im not expecting to replace it in my lifetime , might need to patch a hole maybe it the trees give me trouble , 

Archived