SASS Wire Forum

Cell phone warning today!

Rye Miles #13621

42 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I turned all "official" notifications off, I hope that this one is included.

Mine are off. All of them!

The first time I had one of these my wife and I were in a restaurant. The whole place erupted in alarms from people’s phones. It was a test. Scared the crap out of a lot of people. 
The next time I was in a department store. It was an amber alert. I really didn’t have a problem with that except the noise. I disabled the audible alarms. 
The last one was in California. I was on the freeway in heavy traffic on my bike and my Bluetooth was on and the volume on my helmet speakers was unfortunately on the loudest setting. That alarm went off and I darn near rear ended the car in front of me as they slammed on their brakes, probably because of the alarm. Man, was it loud 
The damn thing kept going off so I pulled into the median and turned the system off on my phone. It’s been off ever since. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks for posting this Rye. I wasn’t sure what time it was supposed to happen. 
I plan to be watching Amazon Prime - Star Trek Enterprise at this time. It’ll be interesting to see if this test interacts with Xfinity, Samsung WiFi TV and Amazon Prime. 
I was going to take a motorcycle ride but my back says “No!” so TV it is. ;)

Actually, I am going to turn my phone on for this. I would hate for this test to be done again because of not enough participation. You can bet a lot of tax dollars are going into this. 

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Actually, I am going to turn my phone on for this. I would hate for this test to be done again because of not enough participation. You can bet a lot of tax dollars are going into this. 

I’m leaving my phone on just out of curiosity. They said this is the second one, I must have missed the first one!

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Mine are off. All of them!

The first time I had one of these my wife and I were in a restaurant. The whole place erupted in alarms from people’s phones. It was a test. Scared the crap out of a lot of people. 
The next time I was in a department store. It was an amber alert. I really didn’t have a problem with that except the noise. I disabled the audible alarms. 
The last one was in California. I was on the freeway in heavy traffic on my bike and my Bluetooth was on and the volume on my helmet speakers was unfortunately on the loudest setting. That alarm went off and I darn near rear ended the car in front of me as they slammed on their brakes, probably because of the alarm. Man, was it loud 
The damn thing kept going off so I pulled into the median and turned the system off on my phone. It’s been off ever since. 

Startling alerts/alarms they are! They started off as Amber Alerts but then graduated to idiotic Covid alerts. The final straw was an alert at around 11 PM with a "maintain safe distance while boating alert". XXX? Seriously!

I turned all that stuff off. I don't care what it is now, I'll find out eventually.

Remember the false alarm scare they got in Hawaii a few years back? Great stuff...:angry:

I have to wonder how many people have no idea this is coming and how many people will panic and how many car crashes will result drom this crap.

Don't some alerts have an override in them so that no matter what the settings are on your phone you get them?

During the Tubbs and Glass Fires I had most alerts turned on.   It got annoying, but was worth it to keep up on what was happening where.

19 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Don't some alerts have an override in them so that no matter what the settings are on your phone you get them?

During the Tubbs and Glass Fires I had most alerts turned on.   It got annoying, but was worth it to keep up on what was happening where.

Evidently so, just got the "Presidential Alert"...what a bunch of crap. I guess they feel they can take over anything they like regardless of ownership or settings.

Well, I got the alert as I did turn them on. Now I wish I wouldn’t have to see if I got it anyway like @Cypress Sun

Interesting thing though, my internet was not affected and the alert didn’t come through Xfinity WiFi, Samsung TV or Amazon Prime. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

30 minutes Sir is suppose the be the over time to turn on again , 

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Did anyone notice that it said "Presidential Alert". What is the deal with that?

I noticed that as it buzzed it had a written message in English. I read the message and then I pushed okay. It shut up.

About 2 seconds later it started screaming again, and now I had what I suppose was the same message in Spanish.

Again I pressed okay and it shut up again.

Did everyone get two messages?

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Did everyone get two messages?

Just one in English. 

The alert:

IMG_2358.thumb.png.5f742842469d2783660964766415cbeb.png

And here’s the message if you click on it. 
IMG_2357.thumb.png.ca9f7bab6d8a38873e1c65ba3ebc1fae.png

Interesting. Like Cypress Sun, I got one that said presidential alert.

My must have been better than yours because it was a presidential alert while yours was just a national alert.

Neener neener neener.

49 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I just got the test warning.

43 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Rumors abound it would activate “hydrogel particles” in vaxxed people either killing them or causing irrational behavior. :ph34r::huh::blink:

Subdeacon Joe's behavior has been irrational for a while now. (Sorry Joe, that was just too easy.)

I had my notifications turned off and they stayed that way.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Subdeacon Joe's behavior has been irrational for a while now. (Sorry Joe, that was just too easy.)

I was going to go there myself!  "Been irrational for years!  I want to dress like a Confederate Artillery First Sergeant and play with cannons!"

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I was going to go there myself!  "Been irrational for years!  I want to dress like a Confederate Artillery First Sergeant and play with cannons!"

What's irrational about playing with cannons? :rolleyes:Some of the most fun I ever had in The Marine Corps was on the 81mm mortar range. :DYou have no idea what a thrill it is to drop an HE round INTO an old amtrak.:P

That was cool! Glad it worked, I was in my car and the phone warning was first then about 3 minutes later it came on the radio. It said it was from FEMA and the FCC. It didn’t say anything about presidential alert. 
I wonder if different cell phone carriers had different messages?That seems odd.

If you look at the last line of the second image I posted above it mentions the alerts can be sent by several agencies including the President of the United States. 

i got the notice - my phone was in the bedroom and i was in the garage so i dont know if it made noise or not , the local sirens went off at noon as is usual and the dog howled as is usual nothin new here , 

Archived