SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Transportation Option

Rip Snorter

Picked up a replacement for my Wife's car today.  The dealer had these on the floor in stock.  Never been into electric bikes (never will be into the cars), but this was something that might come in handy now I'm an old geezer.  What do you think? https://www.reconpowerbikes.com/product/hummer-ev-awd-e-bike/

Besides the $4K+ price tag, I wouldn't like an all wheel drive bicycle or motorcycle for that matter. I don't think that my body could take the "learning curve" (crashing) these days.

I haven't looked but I would think that there are some much cheaper electric rear wheel drive bikes out there.

6 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Check your local regulations.  They're not street legal here because they are too slow for moped registration (20mph limited) but are too high powered (total motor power of 1,500W) to be a bicycle. 

It is Montana. Mostly use would be on the Ranch.  Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the laws.

had someone come down round the bend in front of my house the other day - musta been new to it - he misjudged the turn and ended up in neighbors lawn , said something but i was too busy making sure the dog didnt get hit , 

Got a friend who has one for him and another for his wife. Super fun. Loved riding his.  When the cost comes down they would even be a good option for people starting out in a big city

Some friends of ours bought a pair of them and looked forward to riding them on the trails out here, but they soon found out that they weren’t allowed on the trails that they wanted to ride because they had motors. They’re only allowed in the bike lanes on the roads not on these trails. They don’t ride them much.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Be sure to store and charge it 150 yards from any structure because we know that all of them burst into a conflagration that will consume everything within 100 yards.

But otherwise, enjoy your coal-fired scooter. ;)

Now Joe. You know that's only electric cars that happens to. This is an electric bike. It's perfectly safe.

:P:D

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Now Joe. You know that's only electric cars that happens to. This is an electric bike. It's perfectly safe.

:P:D

No, no.... it's a vehicle powered by a lithium ion battery, everything using those bursts into flames.

https://www.google.com/search?q=electric+scooters+burst+into+Flame&client=ms-android-comcast-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&inm=vs#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:abfc05c3,vid:YbDO3AAv6qE,st:0

Laws change by municipality, some places cal em bikes some vehicles. 

They go fast enough to bust your noggin get all ATGAT if you ride em.

Most states treat electric 2 wheeled vehicles as bicycles if below 750w of power.   Then they are broken down to class 1,2,3 depending on how the pedals interact and how fast it goes.  

above 750w ie about 1 hp, then usually a motor vehicle.  Depending on power, it may be a “moped” or motorcycle.  Depends on the state.  

I see a lot of electric bikes used in campgrounds.  Electric bicycles are usually acceptable in state and federal parks where golf carts are not.  They are also easy to put on a rack on the back of the $500,000 Class A.  

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What about all those hand held items that take lithium batteries. Guess maybe we all need to go back to alkaline batteries. No wonder the energizer bunny is always running somewhere. 

TM

11 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

What about all those hand held items that take lithium batteries. Guess maybe we all need to go back to alkaline batteries. No wonder the energizer bunny is always running somewhere. 

TM

Not supposed to put that stuff in checked baggage on a plane cause of the fire risk or send via mail unless declared hazmat.  Sooo. Like all things know the risks and rules. Heck I choose to walk around with 5 individual explosives IN THE DETONATION DEVICE inches from my junk daily. 

To each his own I says. It's your pony and your rodeo. 

I see a lot of reception of electric bikes and scooters in the trucking community.

Charge while driving and range allows drivers to access better options than the truck stop when hunkered down

19 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

TM

Exactly my point.  There is a certain class of people who point at EVs of any sort and scream that those lithium batteries are about to burst into flame at any second.  This with a lithium powered drill on their belt and a lithium powered phone in their hands.

2 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

TM

I try to avoid alkaline throw aways today.  There are situations when NiCad or NiMH is better than Li.  There are also different types of Li Ion used in batteries.  

@Rip Snorter will this bike be used for working the ranch or joyrides?  

3 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I try to avoid alkaline throw aways today.  There are situations when NiCad or NiMH is better than Li.  There are also different types of Li Ion used in batteries.  

@Rip Snorter will this bike be used for working the ranch or joyrides?  

Basically, the Ranch is a rural property where we decided to retire.  The work is weed control, fuel abatement and mowing and cutting brush before fire season and normal maintenance of the lawn and gardens around the house.  I had originally planed to have a couple of horses, but that didn't come to pass for a variety of reasons.  The bike is a possible horse replacement as the terrain is rugged, some areas not readily accessable either with my pickup or UTV.  I came across this particular bike accidentally, but my oldest friend is something of an expert on electric bicycles and I have not gotten his feedback yet. I did a great deal of road bicycle riding in past years and still have a couple of high end road bikes.  I will need to get one down off the wall and put in a few miles to see if it is still practical at my age.

Archived