SASS Wire Forum

Chevy seat belt safety device

Trigger Mike

My wife wanted to consider trading in her suburban.  I looked online and noticed they now have a feature that prevents you from putting the car in gear unless your seatbelt is fastened.  A horrible idea, especially since you are not required to wear a seat belt if going in reverse so you can see better.  

one dealer said it was a federal requirement for all new cars, another said it can be disabled after purchase.  I took her to a ford lot and their car didn’t have that.  This tells me it is a GM thing.  

the last one I want telling me how to do is a car company.  Not sure if the one who said it can be disabled was right or not.  If it can’t be disabled then we won’t get a GM product.

I’ve not heard of a seatbelt interlock device since the late seventies. They tried that back then and it was done away with after a couple of years for a variety of reasons. 

If this is true, it’s really recent as my wife’s ‘21 Buick doesn’t have it. Plus, a friend who just took delivery of ‘23 Ford Maverick has said nothing of it. 

Looks like GM started putting the system into some 2021 models as part of a teen ager safety system.  It is in most models for 2023.  I did find this -

Before you start a letter-writing campaign to GM about overreach, however, you should know that there are multiple ways to disable Buckle to Drive. We’re sharing that with you not because we’re encouraging people to drive unbuckled, but because it’s an important point to understand. GM-Techlink.com laid out the instructions in detail: “Buckle to Drive can be turned off through the Settings menu on the infotainment screen; go to Settings > Vehicle > Buckle to Drive. On vehicles that include the feature as part of Teen Driver Mode, go to Settings > Vehicle > Teen Driver. The vehicle may need to be restarted to register the setting change.”

Find you a 1971 Cadillac El Dorado. No stupid interlock, super classy, 500 HP and front wheel drive. Might even have AC. Doesn't get better than that.

:D

43 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Recently found a Buick regal from the 80s but they wanted around 100k so I passed.  That’s when cars were still cars.  

A $100K Buick Regal? Must have been a Grand National.

My 2022 Buick Encore doesn't have it and I don't think the 2023's do either. I'm going in for an oil change today I'll find out. First oil change I've got 5053 miles on this car. Bought it brand new in March, it was one of the last 2022's on the lot. It had 5 miles on it!

My 2018 Impala has messages on the info screen that I can't rid of.  One says the heating and air conditioning systems don't work if the engine isn't running.  The other informs me that I should be taking my eyes off the road to read the things on the screen while driving because it may cause and accident.  (NS Dick Tracey?)

They told me both were federal mandates.  I doubt it's true, but they are the only Chevy dealer in a hundred miles.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Find you a 1971 Cadillac El Dorado. No stupid interlock, super classy, 500 HP and front wheel drive. Might even have AC. Doesn't get better than that.

:D

Ummm...

I think that should be 500 c.i. and 400 HP...still nothing to sneeze at when pollution control systems were starting to rob power from V-8s

LL

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My 2018 Impala has messages on the info screen that I can't rid of.  One says the heating and air conditioning systems don't work if the engine isn't running.  The other informs me that I should be taking my eyes off the road to read the things on the screen while driving because it may cause and accident.  (NS Dick Tracey?)

They told me both were federal mandates.  I doubt it's true, but they are the only Chevy dealer in a hundred miles.

Are they on the screen all the time? If so and you have the owners manual, there may be a page telling you how to clear them. I find those infotainment systems maddening. 

44 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Ummm...

I think that should be 500 c.i. and 400 HP...still nothing to sneeze at when pollution control systems were starting to rob power from V-8s

LL

More like 400ft lb, only 225-250hp at the wheels.  Those Cadillacs peaked about 3800rpm with the stock camshaft. 

13 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

My wife wanted to consider trading in her suburban.  I looked online and noticed they now have a feature that prevents you from putting the car in gear unless your seatbelt is fastened.  A horrible idea, especially since you are not required to wear a seat belt if going in reverse so you can see better.  

one dealer said it was a federal requirement for all new cars, another said it can be disabled after purchase.  I took her to a ford lot and their car didn’t have that.  This tells me it is a GM thing.  

the last one I want telling me how to do is a car company.  Not sure if the one who said it can be disabled was right or not.  If it can’t be disabled then we won’t get a GM product.

I believe it’s a Chevy thing, Buick, GMC doesn’t have that.

I don’t know about Cadillac.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

A $100K Buick Regal? Must have been a Grand National.

Yep

24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I believe it’s a Chevy thing, Buick, GMC doesn’t have that.

I don’t know about Cadillac.

Cadillac does too, their salesman said it was a federal law

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

More like 400ft lb, only 225-250hp at the wheels.  Those Cadillacs peaked about 3800rpm with the stock camshaft. 

Actually: "The initial 1970 version, offered only on the giant Fleetwood Eldorado coupe, featured a sporty 10:1 compression ratio and was rated at 400 SAE gross hp at 4400 rpm."  Later emission restrictions dropped that to as low as 190 hp.

LL

8 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Actually: "The initial 1970 version, offered only on the giant Fleetwood Eldorado coupe, featured a sporty 10:1 compression ratio and was rated at 400 SAE gross hp at 4400 rpm."  Later emission restrictions dropped that to as low as 190 hp.

LL

Gross horsepower is not an in car rating.  The post referenced the engine in a 1971 Eldorado, possibly with air conditioning.

Pick up a spare seat belt at wrecking yard.   Cut the strap off of buckle end and insert into your cars seat belt.    Circuit completed.       GW

10 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

7 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Pick up a spare seat belt at wrecking yard.   Cut the strap off of buckle end and insert into your cars seat belt.    Circuit completed.       GW

Or one COULD just learn to use one's mirrors. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yep

I can’t find anything about it on Gm or any car. Do you have a link or info on that! I’m searching…….

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yep

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nhtsa-proposing-new-rules-encourage-seat-belt-vehicle-102433986
This is all I could find 

I think the Cadillac salesman just didn’t know.  I did find where GM added for the teen driver mode but it can be bypassed.  Ford’s solution seems to be to display a picture of all the seats on the odometer screen showing which seats are occupied and showing that seat in red if they are not buckled and green if they are.  I don’t mind that.  

my can am side by sides won’t let you drive above 5 mph if not buckled but my kids just buckle up before getting in and bypass it.  

I think too many companies are run by foreigners or by folks out of touch with the American mentality that says the more you force people to do something the more they won’t do it.  These things may fly in Europe or submissive societies but not here as much.

15 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

American mentality that says the more you force people to do something the more they won’t do it.  These things may fly in Europe or submissive societies but not here as much.

Sure. Just look at how well the mask mandate worked. And they're starting that up again. (Insert sarcasm emoji here).

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I think the Cadillac salesman just didn’t know.  I did find where GM added for the teen driver mode but it can be bypassed.  Ford’s solution seems to be to display a picture of all the seats on the odometer screen showing which seats are occupied and showing that seat in red if they are not buckled and green if they are.  I don’t mind that.  

my can am side by sides won’t let you drive above 5 mph if not buckled but my kids just buckle up before getting in and bypass it.  

You should mind it.  You paid for it and had nu say in whether or not they added it...along with a few hundred other things on you car.

Archived