SASS Wire Forum

Question Answered, Thanks. OK, what exactly is a "double tap"?

Taos

At a local shoot last month there was a stage scenario where one of the targets could not be double tapped.   Pistol and rifle scenario was the same.

A Gunfighter double tapped the pistol target that we were told NOT to double tap.

None of the spotters gave him a P.

I questioned the shooter.  He said he did not double tap the target, he shot it once with one pistol then once with the other pistol.   He said a double tap has to come from one gun.

I do not agree with this.

So what do all y'all think? 

As a relatively new shooter, and only RO I qualified,  I would likely have asked for clarification, because the instructions as read would seem to imply that the center target was shot twice, but not in succession. i.e. could be shot something like: 2 on 1; 2 on 2; 1 on center; 2 on 4; 2 on 5; then final shot on center.  Two on each target, not two in succession on the center target.  Not sure that a gunfighter should get a pass for two shots, one from each revolver... $0.02--but with inflation, probably worth little to nothing...SB

Gunfighters use the revolvers as if they are rifles.  No difference between one gun and the other as far as sequence of shots.  And a DOUBLE TAP is two sequential HITS on a single target, regardless if a GF switched guns.  If he did that sequence of shots, it's a double tap. 

BTW - a two-handed or duelist can make the same error if last shot from first revolver is fired on a target and the first shot from the second gun is also fired on same target.  That's a double tap.  Even if 60 seconds lapse between one and the next shot.  It's all the "revolver string"

The EXCUSE does not hold water. GJ

If it was hit twice in a row, it's a double tap.

We had a scenario recently that stated, "No double taps", yet the instructions said to triple tap center target... 

... I don't know how you can triple tap a target without double tapping it... :lol:

43 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

We had a scenario recently that stated, "No double taps", yet the instructions said to triple tap center target... 

... I don't know how you can triple tap a target without double tapping it... :lol:

Here we go!   :)

If I had heard those instructions, I would have shot it as follows....

Left Pistol 2 one 1, 2 on 2, 1 on 3.
Right Pistol 2 on 5, 2 on 4 , 1 on 3.

Works just fine if you do it, duelist, double duelist, or gunfighter.   Remember, gunfighters don't HAVE to alternate pistols each shot.

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

We should ask @Tennessee williams

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

We should ask @Tennessee williams

The TOTAL number of hits in a ROW on a SINGLE target with a single firearm TYPE is

1=single tap

2=double tap

3=triple tap

4=quad tap

So, if you shoot a target with a firearm 2 times and then 1 more time you have triple tapped it. You have not double and single tapped it. Therefore you do not double tap in order to triple tap. You have only triple tapped. 

Dang you Tyrel!

1 hour ago, Taos said:

At a local shoot last month there was a stage scenario where one of the targets could not be double tapped.   Pistol and rifle scenario was the same.

A Gunfighter double tapped the pistol target that we were told NOT to double tap.

None of the spotters gave him a P.

I questioned the shooter.  He said he did not double tap the target, he shot it once with one pistol then once with the other pistol.   He said a double tap has to come from one gun.

I do not agree with this.

So what do all y'all think? 

He fed you a load of BS. 

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

you can’t, poorly written and should have been caught at the walk through 

9 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

The TOTAL number of hits in a ROW on a SINGLE target with a single firearm TYPE is

1=single tap

2=double tap

3=triple tap

4=quad tap

So, if you shoot a target with a firearm 2 times and then 1 more time you have triple tapped it. You have not double and single tapped it. Therefore you do not double tap in order to triple tap. You have only triple tapped. 

Dang you Tyrel!

:ph34r:

Thanks, I knew you could explain this one!

We could really have a fun conversation here, but I think I'll not so we don't confuse folks.

O.P. That Gunfighter is wrong and earned a P.

a double tap is two from the same gun in a single occurrence , if you shoot it once in a sweep then come back and shoot it again in a second sweep its not a double tap - but then im a bit confused by the question to start with , so if i need clarification feel free 

Nope, a double tap is two hits in sequence on same target by the same gun type, not the same gun.  If you have two revolvers out together or one at a time, it DOES NOT MATTER.   Same as any other sequence you fire. 

If you are to shoot a Lawrence Welk (1-2-3-4), are you going to penalize a 2-handed or duelist revolver shooter because he changed guns after the first 5 shots?   That's still a 3-shot sequence (aka, a triple tap) you have to shoot on the third target, even when using 2 revolvers to do it.  You can't claim he did not shoot a triple tap due to "he changed to another revolver, so it's not a triple tap."

good luck, GJ   

Thanks everyone, I think we got it now.

"Taps" are SEQUENTIAL hits from the same gun TYPE.  

Yesterday I looked for an hour through the Shooters Handbook and could not find the definition of a "tap".

If it's not found in the "Definitions" at the back of the booklet, it's not "defined" by SASS.  So, conventional action pistol definitions would apply.   One can't have shot much without having heard and used the word "tap" or even "double tap".

To complete the definition: Multiple Taps are SEQUENTIAL hits on a single target from the same gun TYPE. 

good luck, GJ

• Taos changed the title to Question Answered, Thanks. OK, what exactly is a "double tap"?
18 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

1=single tap

2=double tap

3=triple tap

4=quad tap

Dang you Tyrel!

Soooooooooooooo...................If the stage instructions say to hit each target three times with no double taps I can triple tap them with no penalty, right? :ph34r:

@Tyrel Cody  Yeah, I'm THAT guy. :lol:

1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

Soooooooooooooo...................If the stage instructions say to hit each target three times with no double taps I can triple tap them with no penalty, right? :ph34r:

@Tyrel Cody  Yeah, I'm THAT guy. :lol:

If you were shooting my stage, it would read:

Using only single taps, place atleast 3 rounds on each target.

Aint my fault, some stagewriters...shouldn't.:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

(spotters) can not know for sure which pistol each shot came from

There is NO reason for the spotters to track what revolver fired what shot,  but the TO should monitor that to be able to help the shooter use the gun with ammo still left to finish the string.  Any writer who builds stage descriptions with "with first revolver.....then with second revolver" needs remedial training.

Regardless of shooting style, it DOES NOT MATTER which of the two revolvers were used to fire each shot.  Count the misses and look for sequence violations, if there might be some, or for round counts on targets, if that is what the stage is designed to have.   TO - Help the shooter (if you are fast enough) with "One more from that gun" if a 2-handed or duelist shooter tries to put the gun away with a round left in cylinder, but don't stop them (they can actually recover from that mistake most of the time).

good luck, GJ

21 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

It was a 1-3-1 sweep, twice starting on the same target twice.  The stage writer didn't want you to shoot it as follows 1-3-2-3-1

Archived