SASS Wire Forum

Accuracy of Hollywood Movies

I wonder if anyone ever checks for obvious flaws?

I was watching some B movie about WWII, and the commander was saying, "It doesn't matter, Major, you're grounded until we get this sorted out."

The 'major' was standing there wearing silver oak leafs. Geeezzz...

You got an example?

37 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I wonder if anyone ever checks for obvious flaws?

I doubt if anyone in Hollywierd cares about accuracy in such things. As long as their "message" is accurately portrayed, that's all that matters. 

My personal single biggest complaint? Whenever anybody pulls a pistol, whether it's a revolver, single action, double action, OR striker fired semi auto, you hear the click, click, click, click, of a SAA being cocked.

I have tried and tried to get my SxS shotgun to sound like a pump shotgun when pulling it from its sleeve. I have also tried to get my Glocks to produce a racking sound every time I pull them from the holster. Every time I rack my pump shotguns shells fly out. It just makes no sense! I have called Stoeger, Glock and Mossberg about this and no one will return my calls. They just don’t work right, you know, like the ones on TV…

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

People didn't used to be as persnickety about every little detail in movies.

People are persnickety over things that they know and are interested in. When The Duke was making movies, nobody worried that he was using 1873 Colt pistols and 1892 rifles in movies set in the 1860s. Many Cowboy shooters are a bit bothered about it because we know better. 

Military people see what to us are obvious errors in military films because we know that they ARE errors, while civilians don't. Cops see errors in police procedures on TV and movies because THEY know better. Medical people see glaring errors the same way. 

I don't know that we are any more persnickety than we used to be, we're just more vocal about it.  

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have also tried to get my Glocks to produce a racking sound every time I pull them from the holster. They just don’t work right, you know, like the ones on TV…

Let me know when you get them to go "Click, click, click, click like a SAA does, like they do on TV.:D

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

When The Duke was making movies, nobody worried that he was using 1873 Colt pistols and 1892 rifles in movies set in the 1860s.

And most people don't care that Civil War field artillery is always fired with a torch with a foot of flame and recoil straight up for a foot. ;)

And the thread counts are all wrong.:lol:

23 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

don't know that we are any more persnickety than we used to be, we're just more vocal about it.  

The internet provides for a great conglomeration of persnicketiness, dumbassery and the perpetuation of whining. 

My Wife gets so upset with me because I'm always pointing out things that are wrong in movies.

Like a movie that is supposed to take place just after the civil war ends, and they're shooting Colt peacemakers and Winchester 92's. ! 

Personally, it's the fun of watching a semi-auto have a jam in the middle of the shooting scenes. Doesn't matter if it's plastic guns or 1911's. The 1911 jams seem to be more common and make the final cut/version of the movie. It has to be 1,000's of times that I've seen this.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Personally, it's the fun of watching a semi-auto have a jam in the middle of the shooting scenes. Doesn't matter if it's plastic guns or 1911's. The 1911 jams seem to be more common and make the final cut/version of the movie. It has to be 1,000's of times that I've seen this.

Unfortunately, that only happens if it part of the script. 

True. The gun will only jam if it was part of the script. If it is not part of the script, the slide will lock back because the magazine is empty, but the actor will still be pointing it at people and jerking it like there's recoil and you will still hear pow pow pow.

I get annoyed with discontinuity between shot angles.  Terminator 2 has a scene where the hammer is back on the 1911, then switch views and it’s down, then back to the other view and it’s down again.  Obviously the scene was shot out of order and no one checked the details.  Same as someone who is dirty in one scene, then clean in the next one.  

I quit thinking about 92s in Westerns, and just appreciate it when there's a chronologicallly appropriate 1873 now and then. Or, once in a great while, a Spenser.

As for SAAs, at least if the Civil War is actually over it's OK.

I seem to recall The Comancheros was the worst offender: 1892s and SAAs in a pre-Civil War setting. Now that's too much, even for me.

As for movies involving one's own trade or profession, I have the same problems. Most lawyer movies or trial scenes are hard for me to watch.

Just a thought but did maybe Cowboy Action Shooting made us aware of the historically incorrect firearms?

Before I did CAS I didn’t care about it, in fact I never paid attention that close.:o

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Just a thought but did maybe Cowboy Action Shooting made us aware of the historically incorrect firearms?

Before I did CAS I didn’t care about it, in fact I never paid attention that close.:o

Kind of my point. Many of us know better, so we notice it.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Kind of my point. Many of us know better, so we notice it.

I missed your comment before I posted , yes I agree,

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

People are persnickety over things that they know and are interested in... I don't know that we are any more persnickety than we used to be, we're just more vocal about it.  

I get persnickety about people being persnickety over persnickety people... :huh:

27 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Not to mention contrails. From Joe Kidd:

contrailscience.com_skitch_Clint_Eastwood___Joe_Kidd_20120620_170149.jpg

That’s pretty persnickety!!!:D

I do not believe that most people get upset over contrails. I think that, like me, when most people see white cloudy substance in the sky, they assume it's a cloud.

One of my favorite glaring errors is from the movie "Hot Stuff" with Jerry Reed. In the movie, he drives a Pontiac Firebird Formula. Late in the movie it gets blown up. In fact, it gets blown up so much it turns it into a Chevrolet Camaro!

Go to about the 1:09:15 mark in the movie and pay attention. Look closely at the headlights after the explosion.

6 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

I get annoyed with discontinuity between shot angles.  Terminator 2 has a scene where the hammer is back on the 1911, then switch views and it’s down, then back to the other view and it’s down again.  Obviously the scene was shot out of order and no one checked the details.  Same as someone who is dirty in one scene, then clean in the next one.  

More likely it’s edited out of order. Scenes are shot from many angles, results are edited.

that’s how you get 20 shots out of a six shooter with no reloads.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I wouldn't have known most of it except for CAS, at least the post-Civil War stuff.

And I notice that in Westerns in recent years, and there have been quite a few, I see more accuracy, especially with 1873 rifles instead of '92s. And more S&W single actions.

This I attribute to increased knowledge, and, above all, the availability of replicas made possible by CAS. It wasn't easy for producers of the older Westerns to lay hands on 1873s, for example, but '92s were available.

58 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Look closely at the headlights after the explosion

I take it that the firebird had square headlights? Because I noticed the next scene is a Pontiac, and it has square headlights. But the blown up car has got round ones.

I didn't watch the whole movie I just went right to about a minute eight, and they're looking at the car but it's in profile so you can't see the headlights, and then it explodes.

Many years ago a VERY nice girl who chose to spend her time with me imparted the wisdom: revel in the illusion.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

I take it that the firebird had square headlights? Because I noticed the next scene is a Pontiac, and it has square headlights. But the blown up car has got round ones.

I didn't watch the whole movie I just went right to about a minute eight, and they're looking at the car but it's in profile so you can't see the headlights, and then it explodes.

Yes. If you go back and watch just part of the opening sequence, you'll see the Firebird has a totally different front end.

14 hours ago, DocWard said:

One of my favorite glaring errors is from the movie "Hot Stuff" with Jerry Reed. In the movie, he drives a Pontiac Firebird Formula. Late in the movie it gets blown up. In fact, it gets blown up so much it turns it into a Chevrolet Camaro!

Go to about the 1:09:15 mark in the movie and pay attention. Look closely at the headlights after the explosion.

I’ll see your Hot Stuff and raise you American Graffiti!

In the race scene where the ‘55 Chevy rolls over, you’ve listened them dumping the clutch and shifting gears and then you see a big ol’ Turbo 400 hanging out the bottom of the car!

The 400 wasn’t even released until ‘63!!

The tag line of the movie was “WHERE WERE YOU IN ‘62?”

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

It is freaking entertainment, that one way or another, you paid for, not fact.  If you don't care for it, shut it off or leave.  Reality is often even more strange.

Wow. Much the same could be said for you and this thread. I've remembered the part from the movie Hot Stuff for all these years because for me it was among the most entertaining parts of the movie. I've got a crap-ton of worries on my mind right now and come here for a bit of escape and entertainment. I don't need you being the freaking fun police, thanks.

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’ll see your Hot Stuff and raise you American Graffiti!

In the race scene where the ‘55 Chevy rolls over, you’ve listened them dumping the clutch and shifting gears and then you see a big ol’ Turbo 400 hanging out the bottom of the car!

The 400 wasn’t even released until ‘63!!

The tag line of the movie was “WHERE WERE YOU IN ‘62?”

That one takes a seriously good eye and some general automotive knowledge on par with Miss Mona Lisa Vito

Archived