SASS Wire Forum

.38 Ammo

Oregon Ace

Check out Choice Ammunition - they are SASS supporters and merchants as well

https://choiceammunition.com/cowboy-action/

https://choiceammunition.com/product-category/cowboy-action/cowboy-38/38-special-cowboy/

2 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Check out Choice Ammunition - they are SASS supporters and merchants as well

https://choiceammunition.com/cowboy-action/

https://choiceammunition.com/product-category/cowboy-action/cowboy-38/38-special-cowboy/

Thanks, I was looking at them. Didn't seem to get any discount for 1000rnds or up same price as 250 rnds

1 minute ago, Oregon Ace said:

Thanks, I was looking at them. Didn't seem to get any discount for 1000rnds or up same price as 250 rnds

Yup, but their stuff is great! Don't know what kind of brain cramp I had not thinking of them.

4 minutes ago, Oregon Ace said:

So what?, you should be happy its available,  they need to make a living as well.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-american-eagle-38-special-ammo-158-grain-lead-round-nose-ae38b-p-1069.aspx

most of us shoot lighter weight bullets but for known maker, lead target rounds, this is the best price I’ve seen in a long time.  TSUSA is a top notch supplier too.  Buy in case lots and get free shipping. 

JJ

Be aware that Federal stuff is round nose, so keep in your revolvers, not rifles.

Just now, DeaconKC said:

Be aware that Federal stuff is round nose, so keep in your revolvers, not rifles.

Ya I would rather it all be interchangeable blunt tip. I may call choice about a 5000 rnd discount tomorrow and see what they say

Get 100 and try them. 
Choice Ammo:
oal 125 grain .38 spec 1.45 “

oal 105 gn .38 spec. 1.445”

those will run just fine

27 minutes ago, Oregon Ace said:

velocity: 690 FPS

OAL: 1.350″

BHN 12/15

These seem short

I think you were looking at .32’s

i shoot the heavy weight bullets but im not a speed competitor , i dont buy mine - i load them , im not at all sure why anyone would not , no offense but this sport nearly demands it , 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

i shoot the heavy weight bullets but im not a speed competitor , i dont buy mine - i load them , im not at all sure why anyone would not , no offense but this sport nearly demands it , 

THIS ^^^^

You'll save about $20.00 a box of 50 loading your own 38 specials. After shooting 2500 rounds you will easily have paid for a nice Dillon 750 plus necessary accessories. Go with a less expensive press and the payback will happen even sooner.

Even a budget progressive will allow you to load at least 300 rounds an hour. One 8 hour day dedicated to reloading will provide you with at least 2500 rounds of ammunition. Enough to shoot 20 six stage matches

13 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Bullets by Scarlett is another option, .38 and .45 only I think.  She's in the Merchant forum.

You beat me to it! Scarlett usually has loaded .38's, I bought some from her  once. Good stuff, not too expensive.

A local shooter brought some Cowboy Choice .38 Special ammo to a practice session.  That particular load was short and would not feed in his ‘92.  I know they offer other loads, though.

We steer folks to Scarlett.  

If you have a choice consider buying from vendors who support the sport.

Bang and Clang will load in your brass.  Save your spent cases and ship them USPS bulk rate when your have 2,000.  I load Bang and Clang bullets myself.  George Martin, the owner supports SASS matches around the South West.

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/ols/products/38-special-cowboy-cartridges

38Spl, 38 Short Colt (not yet on website, 45 Colt and 45 ACP.

Hugs!

Scarlett

On 5/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, Oregon Ace said:

Where is everyone getting ammo that isn't loading it themselves. No time for another hobby of loading ammo. looking for min 1000rnds up to 5000 at a time

It seems to me that it gets to be more than just one extra hobby. I'm now a lead scrounger, and amateur metallurgist and smelter, bullet caster, bullets sizer and lube maker. If this supply chain doesn't get back to normal soon I'll be processing human waste for Potassium Nitrate, making charcoal and mining for sulfur to make my own black powder. 

BB  

4 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

It seems to me that it gets to be more than just one extra hobby. I'm now a lead scrounger, and amateur metallurgist and smelter, bullet caster, bullets sizer and lube maker. If this supply chain doesn't get back to normal soon I'll be processing human waste for Potassium Nitrate, making charcoal and mining for sulfur to make my own black powder. 

BB  

If only there were a reliable easy way to make your own powder and primers. making your own bullets makes shooting pretty darn cheap. making everything else would make it extremely cheap.

On 5/5/2023 at 1:36 PM, The Surgeon said:

If only there were a reliable easy way to make your own powder and primers. making your own bullets makes shooting pretty darn cheap. making everything else would make it extremely cheap.

Primers aren't really hard to load. Just tedious and time consuming. You can do it with strike any where matches 

Hsm it's the factory loaded ammo we shoot when I don't have the time to load.  It's really close to what I load anyway and I get it by the case.

Archived