SASS Wire Forum

How many gun stores are where you live

Buckshot Bob

Interesting stats! In my corner of NE Ohio (Cleveland area) there's 4 within 10 miles, plus 3 of those are indoor ranges. There's another 10-12 if I travel 20-30 miles. 

Define "gun store".

I can think of eight in Helena, including Walmart if that counts, plus at least half a dozen pawn shops with FFL's and a few guns on hand. Throw in another few dozen FFL holders in the area with open entries in their books who do customizations and/or transfers, and it could be anywhere between seven and a hundred I suppose.

Cortez, co. (about 7,500 pop) has at least 7 that sell guns (includes pawn shops). We have 2 that are just gun shops.

I assure you there are NOT 96 gunshops in Las Vegas.

There MAY be 96 FFL holders - but thats a different animal as it would include Gunsmiths, Manufacturers, Pawn Shops, etc.  

But 96 open storefronts engaging in retail sales of firearms - nope.

Per capita, the greater Prescott / Prescott Valley area rules, according to gun a magazine report just before we moved here.  That included all FFL licensed places including gun shops and sporting goods stores, gun smiths, big box stores like Walmart, pawn shops, second hand and antique stores, engravers and stock makers, etc. plus the Ruger factory on the north side of Prescott by the airport.

I have maybe twenty that I do business with, seven within a mile and a half of my home, and there are some I won't ever go into again.

My gunsmith is the 'smith for Gunsight Academy in Pauldin and I have two others that do "light work".  There are close to thirty good to decent leather shops, and a couple of outstanding ones, if you need custom work done.

If you want suppressors there a places nearby that specialize in them ,too, and at least three shops licensed to sell automatic weapons and the like.

The only thing not in sufficient abundance is ammo....and that even seems to be rectifying itself.

The Crossroads Of The West gun show is held four blocks from my place, but I don't see much reason to go there anymore.  Everything is over priced and they have little to nothing that appeals to my nineteenth /early twentieth century tastes.

I am close to more outlets than I can afford the time or money for, but it's browser and grazer's paradise.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I assure you there are NOT 96 gunshops in Las Vegas.

There MAY be 96 FFL holders - but thats a different animal as it would include Gunsmiths, Manufacturers, Pawn Shops, etc.  

But 96 open storefronts engaging in retail sales of firearms - nope.

Agreed , take small South Dakota 507  many rural towns dont have a Gun store  so that has to be FFL holders leave it to media to not know the difference . First half sales  41,772 for 507 "stores" is 82.39 guns per "dealer "  or 13.73 a month not many would be open long on 13 a month

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Interesting stats! In my corner of NE Ohio (Cleveland area) there's 4 within 10 miles, plus 3 of those are indoor ranges. There's another 10-12 if I travel 20-30 miles. 

I forgot about the 2 pawn shops within 5 miles of where I live, I've bought a gun from one of them. A S&W 1911 .45 for $600.00 OTD! Beautiful gun!

We have many here, but equally many not worth frequenting.
The closest to me wants $100 FFL fee plus the $40 NICS background check fee.
I give him no business.

My LGS of choice is about 10 miles, one way.
His shop is packed with incoming UPS boxes with firearms for customers.
His desk is piled with a 2 inch stack of 4473 forms.
I would guess he is making a living from FFL fees, rather than selling $50 pounds of powder, and $1 cartridges.

Howdy,

Used to be five places to buy guns or ammo on main street.

No more all gone.

Two other shops closed when owners died.

Two others were closed due to atf  bothering them about picky detail on paperwork.

Is it  09 or sep or september???? REALLY???

It takes all day to go see whats for sale in three shops.

Best

CR

Archived