Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Proposed unofficial category, just for fun for those interested.


Recommended Posts

 

In the spirit of unofficial categories such as Josie Wales, Outlaw, and others, here's an idea for an unofficial category that could be offered just for fun for interested shooters at the match directors discretion.

The Mare's Leg Category.

Rifle:  Any SASS Main Match Legal Rifle

Pistols:  At least one pistol must be a Mare's Leg type pistol.  (AWA Lightning Bolt okay)  If both pistols are of this type, 1 second is taken off the shooters overall time at the end of the match.
Shotgun:  Terminator 2 style 87.   (Option:  Must have magazine fully loaded on the clock at every stage.)

 

This is totally unofficial.   Of potential interest only to those who own the needed guns.   100% designed for fun.   Since the guns needed are not currently allowed under SASS rules for some reason, it would totally be up to match director's discretion.

 

So to those who COULD shoot it, what do you think?   

Personally, I think the chemo has addled my brain and and weird ideas are just trolling through my head at random.

 

Note:  While this could be interesting, this is more or less a tongue in cheek idea, as very few of us could even qualify to do it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have thought the Josey Wales category would be a good one for some time, but it would require me to buy a bunch of percussion pistols and work back into black powder.  The Mare's Leg, not so much, looking at the Henry models, ex .22, they hold 5 rounds - a short stage or reloading on the clock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

I have thought the Josey Wales category would be a good one for some time, but it would require me to buy a bunch of percussion pistols and work back into black powder.  The Mare's Leg, not so much, looking at the Henry models, ex .22, they hold 5 rounds - a short stage or reloading on the clock.

 

Well, your second pistol can be a conventional main match one.   I doubt very many pards actually have 2 of the things.  

Does Josey Wales require percussion?   I've never read that.   Just 4, or 5 pistols depending on what is done with regards to the "shotgun" as I understood it.

I've seen people shoot Outlaw, but never Josey Wales, to be honest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

Well, your second pistol can be a conventional main match one.   I doubt very many pards actually have 2 of the things.  

Does Josey Wales require percussion?   I've never read that.   Just 4, or 5 pistols depending on what is done with regards to the "shotgun" as I understood it.

I've seen people shoot Outlaw, but never Josey Wales, to be honest. 

I've been out of the game since things were simple - just have a good imagination and making some assumptions.  The latter always risky.  I always got a kick out of the enormous cartridges on Steve McQueen's belt in the original Wanted Dead or Alive - magazine and Chamber, maybe 3 rounds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We do a Josey Wales match that just requires 2 more pistols instead of the rifle. No lost brass!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I've been out of the game since things were simple - just have a good imagination and making some assumptions.  The latter always risky.  I always got a kick out of the enormous cartridges on Steve McQueen's belt in the original Wanted Dead or Alive - magazine and Chamber, maybe 3 rounds?

 

McQueen's gun was *supposed* to be an 86 in .45-70.   In reality, it was a 92 in .44-40.   But they used the .45-70 shells in his belt to try to keep up the illusion.  :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do I get the feeling this thread started on the Wire then someone whined to the Mods and it was moved.

 

By the way, I think you have a great idea @H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

But then you would be trying to make things fun and Gamers and gamey smelling types just can’t take that. ;)
 

I came really close to buying a Mate’s Leg with a belt and holster a few years ago but then the clerk said it was a Rossi and I passed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why do I get the feeling this thread started on the Wire then someone whined to the Mods and it was moved.

 

By the way, I think you have a great idea @H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

But then you would be trying to make things fun and Gamers and gamey smelling types just can’t take that. ;)
 

I came really close to buying a Mate’s Leg with a belt and holster a few years ago but then the clerk said it was a Rossi and I passed. 

 

I did start it on the Wire.   I have noticed that  LOT of threads have been moved from there to here recently, most of which I can't understand why.   It's very strange.

Glad you like the idea, Pat.  I do think it has some merit, even if it would be of limited appeal.

As you may have guessed, I have one of those rare as hen's teeth AWA Lighting Bolt pistols.   But I also have a "true" Mare's Leg.   I got the one made by Chiappa, as i think they have a best reproduction 92 on the market.   No stupid safeties, and good to go right out of the box.   They cost a bit more than other makers, but they are worth it.    If I have anything against it, it's how they come with a "D" type lever instead of a true large loop.   I "fixed" that by getting one of their replacement "Rio Bravo" levers and having it installed.   I also have the Chiappa 87 Mare's Leg shotgun.   Paired them all up with my Winchester 92 with big loop lever and shot a clean match.    That was fun.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While in reality I don't have a problem with local area's having these specialty categories, each time you add a new category to the mix you are not adding new shooters, instead what you are doing is to further dilute the number of shooters in each of the other categories.  At present there are 38 base categories, and when you extend the age breaks into the shooting style categories (Duelist, Gunfighter, B-Western, Classic Cowboy, and the BP Categories) you add another 128 possible categories.  Then toss in Outlaw, Josie Wales, Sultan Of Smoke, King of Kaboom, etc, and it only gets worse.

 

I don't necessarily have a problem with adding the age breaks like SASS just did with El Rey/La Reina, but I do think that there is a problem with extending those age breaks into the shooting style categories.  If you can't find a category in the current 156 possible categories that already exist, and there is enough local support for that category, then have at it, but at some point there needs to be some level of sanity returned to the category matrix or we will end up having matches that are a competition of 800 categories of 1 shooter each.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you actually hit anything with a Mares leg anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why do I get the feeling this thread started on the Wire then someone whined to the Mods and it was moved.

 

By the way, I think you have a great idea @H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

 

Snip-it_1650141037805.jpg.7cc3eec015f50d6c563365cf70d157bf.jpg

Snip-it_1650139731448.jpg.9e1e5b84f12457759a88eec065195009.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HKU, love it. Shoot em if you got em. Keep main categories for awards but let the rest of us shoot what we bring. If I’m not competing at least I’m a happy paying customer that just wants to shoot.  Knob Creek will allow me to shoot 22s. I just haven’t got everything together yet. I say the more the merry. Were supposed to be there for fun and kinship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

This is not a proposal for a new category.   It is an idea about an unofficial one that people can shoot for fun if allowed.

 

Local clubs can do whatever they want, go for it!’

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

Well, you hold it out where it would be if it had a full stock, line up the sights, hold the gun steady and fire.

Holding it steady while cocking would be well nigh impossible I would think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Holding it steady while cocking would be well nigh impossible I would think.

 

Oh it is.

You pretty much have to lower the gun after every shot and then reaim.   You ain't never gonna win a belt buckle this way, but the FUN factor is off the chart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

How do you actually hit anything with a Mares leg anyway?

They have sights…ha-ha

image.thumb.jpeg.99dabc0da6b402dfb482dae1b5695cce.jpeg

These are Henry “Mare’s Legs”

image.thumb.jpeg.4c54a12b8902ba12cfcbe34966fd63fb.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.090412c039cd71da521a2f6a6be2f48d.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They have sights…ha-ha

image.thumb.jpeg.99dabc0da6b402dfb482dae1b5695cce.jpeg

These are Henry “Mare’s Legs”

image.thumb.jpeg.4c54a12b8902ba12cfcbe34966fd63fb.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.090412c039cd71da521a2f6a6be2f48d.jpeg

 

I would be real slow getting a sight picture back. I would need really big and really close targets. :D And that really looks weird!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I would be real slow getting a sight picture back. I would need really big and really close targets. :D And that really looks weird!

You mean targets like at a SASS match? Those big and close targets? :rolleyes::lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You mean targets like at a SASS match? Those big and close targets? :rolleyes::lol:

No, bigger than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like these better...

Ridiculous.jpg.5d365ef867728ac16abdf609e082f028.jpg

 

From top to bottom:

 

Winchester 92 .44 Magnum
Chiappa 87 12 gauge

AWA Lighting Bolt .45 Colt

Chiappa Mares Leg .44 Magnum.

I need to redo this pic with the new lever on the Leg.

 

Depending on my my mood, I might swap out the Winchester for my AWA Lightning in .45 Colt.   Maybe I should get another Mares Leg in .45...

 

MaresLegRioBravoLoop.thumb.jpg.44193a9f2d5e440109458ea4d84e4a18.jpg

 

This is what is looks like now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In kind of wondering what a Mare’s Leg might cost me :rolleyes: I proceeded to do a little searching. It turns out Mare’s Leg “handguns” are not legal for sale in “The Big C” (normally attributed to Cancer…I think it fits)

Anyway, I am really looking forward the getting the hell out of this state. 
 

At Sportsman’s Warehouse in Washington PA and in Morgantown WV I can get a .45 Colt or .357 Henry Mare’s Leg for $980. They don’t carry the Chiappa. The Chiappa sure looks nice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They don’t carry the Chiappa. The Chiappa sure looks nice. 

 

The Chiappa is a great gun.   They make the best 92 on the market today, in my opinion.   No stupid safeties, and an action that is as smooth as a real Winchester.   The case hardening isn't real, but it does look nice.   Check with local gun shops, I am sure one of them can order you a Chiappa if you want one.   There are a few options with regards to caliber, barrel length and if it's a take down or not.   Mines a .44 Mag take down, and it does hold 5 rounds.  The Chiappa IS more expensive than a Rossi, but it's worth the extra cost.   



Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I like these better...

Ridiculous.jpg.5d365ef867728ac16abdf609e082f028.jpg

 

From top to bottom:

 

Winchester 92 .44 Magnum
Chiappa 97 12 gauge

AWA Lighting Bolt .45 Colt

Chiappa Mares Leg .44 Magnum.

I need to redo this pic with the new lever on the Leg.

 

Depending on my my mood, I might swap out the Winchester for my AWA Lightning in .45 Colt.   Maybe I should get another Mares Leg in .45...

 

MaresLegRioBravoLoop.thumb.jpg.44193a9f2d5e440109458ea4d84e4a18.jpg

 

This is what is looks like now.

Chiapas is an ‘87. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 5:48 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Holding it steady while cocking would be well nigh impossible I would think.

Had one for a while.  It was fairly easy to manipulate, as long as you used both hands. It was NOT a duelist gun.   It was pretty easy to hit SASS sized targets at SASS distances.  I could hit my 16" circle steel targets pretty easy with 44 specials in it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.