SASS Wire Forum

Are Canadian matches still like this?

Sedalia Dave

The Top video is on a range that shot things pretty much that way till about 6 years ago, sadly the Match director faced a hostile take over, and he just quit the game .

I used to shoot there often It was FUN  The club was called "Rocky Mountain Rangers " Troop 4, of which I was a member sadly the cowboy part of the club is on life support now ...

As for the Shooters Kanada Kid and Kanada Girl, I have shot with them many times, but that's a whole nother story ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Is there a limit on rifle magazine capacity up there? I only watched half of that first one, but I don't think any of the rifles had more than eight shots.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I remember events like that at Coto Cowboys, Double R Bar Regulators, Cajon Cowboys, and others.  That was when shooting was fun.

Careful there, Forty... voicing sentiments such as these is to invite the wrath and disdain of a certain "man in black."  :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Is there a limit on rifle magazine capacity up there? I only watched half of that first one, but I don't think any of the rifles had more than eight shots.

Saw as few as 6 and as many as 10 rifle rounds on the various stages.

Number of shotgun targets per stage also varied a lot.

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

The Top video is on a range that shot things pretty much that way till about 6 years ago, sadly the Match director faced a hostile take over, and he just quit the game .

I used to shoot there often It was FUN  The club was called "Rocky Mountain Rangers " Troop 4, of which I was a member sadly the cowboy part of the club is on life support now ...

As for the Shooters Kanada Kid and Kanada Girl, I have shot with them many times, but that's a whole nother story ...

Jabez Cowboy 

How is Kanada Girl?

Shot EOT the year she made her 'come back'.

Krazy, that little spitfire!

Back in the day We did a lot of rifle and pistol reloads, sometime load one extra, but also complete pistol reloads.

We mostly load 10 in the rifle, and you could need to load up to 5 more, or just one more for bonus target that could be a 9 inch plate at 50+ yards.

A miss on it just costs you time ....

Some shoots like to play with odd numbers in the Rifle.

I shot a stage 12 knockdown shotgun targets .

Also a stage that had 10 rifle, 10 pistol and 6 Shotgun targets ALL knockdown Targets any rifle and pistol targets can be shot till down with the shotgun, Shotgun targets were shot till they were down. Failure to knock all targets down earned you a miss for each left standing...

Most guns used will hold 10 rounds both of my 66s will hold 13, some stages were extra rounds are needed they may be loaded on the clock after Ya run her dry or stuff them in to start.

Sue; Haven't Seen Flora since the SASS Canadian Nationals last Fall, but she seemed happier than she has in years.

Jabez Cowboy 

Well, I won’t say CAS is boring these days, but it sure isn’t like it used to be. I remember the days Forty is talking about at Coto. Good times. 

I remember predicting that “gamers” would ruin the fun someday and my comments were dismissed by folks I shot with that no longer shoot CAS…because someone ran the fun off and replaced it with close targets and the need for speed with wimpy little mouse fart loads. The term “cowboy load” is a slap in the face to what I thought a “cowboy” would use on the range or in a shootout. But what do I know? 

41 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Back in the day We did a lot of rifle and pistol reloads, sometime load one extra, but also complete pistol reloads.

We mostly load 10 in the rifle, and you could need to load up to 5 more, or just one more for bonus target that could be a 9 inch plate at 50+ yards.

A miss on it just costs you time ....

Some shoots like to play with odd numbers in the Rifle.

I shot a stage 12 knockdown shotgun targets .

Also a stage that had 10 rifle, 10 pistol and 6 Shotgun targets ALL knockdown Targets any rifle and pistol targets can be shot till down with the shotgun, Shotgun targets were shot till they were down. Failure to knock all targets down earned you a miss for each left standing...

Most guns used will hold 10 rounds both of my 66s will hold 13, some stages were extra rounds are needed they may be loaded on the clock after Ya run her dry or stuff them in to start.

Sue; Haven't Seen Flora since the SASS Canadian Nationals last Fall, but she seemed happier than she has in years.

Jabez Cowboy 

Sounds great!!! She is a Gem!!!

We lost track of her about 5 years ago.

What fun.

Please send my love, when you do see her again.:wub:

Last fall she said she was going to come to one of our shoots this year, my home Range is 7.5 miles from my door ...

Now You have another reason to Come up to "Cow Country Alberta Canada"

Then Ya can Sing in my Church ... Still don't have a Singer for the funeral i'm doing tomorrow.

I guess i'll just have to lead da singing Me own self .... 

Jabez Cowboy 

So is the reason that SASS matches got simplified and we don't do as much movement is because the average age of the shooters is getting old? I'm in decent shape for 74 but I have a slight back issue and my one knee is not always perfect. I could get up from the ground but it would take me a little time.

I think maybe that's why we stopped the laying down, sitting in a bathtub or other moves we used to make. There's some shooters that walk to the next gun they can't run at all.

Just my observation.;)

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Careful there, Forty... voicing sentiments such as these is to invite the wrath and disdain of a certain "man in black."  :ph34r:

Nah, Forty, keep it up.

I blocked the one Hardpan speaks of a decade ago (the first of only 5 or 6 people I've blocked on here since '97 or '98), so I could care less what he posts.;)

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I won’t say CAS is boring these days, but it sure isn’t like it used to be. I remember the days Forty is talking about at Coto. Good times. 

I remember predicting that “gamers” would ruin the fun someday and my comments were dismissed by folks I shot with that no longer shoot CAS…because someone ran the fun off and replaced it with close targets and the need for speed with wimpy little mouse fart loads. The term “cowboy load” is a slap in the face to what I thought a “cowboy” would use on the range or in a shootout. But what do I know? 

Yeah,  I know what you mean. 

When you tell somebody that you shoot CAS, they automatically assume that you can't hit with a pistol past 5 yards and you shoot loads that are primer powered popcorn. 

The action pistol guys make fun of the minimum no power factor- usually with 'why did ya'll even bother?' tagged on at the end.  It's a toss up if that or the costuming requirement will come first.

Popcorn loads? Yeah we hear them here from time to time.

I have to scratch my head when all I hear is a tiny "T I N G "  if the bullet hits the steel - no BANG ! just the tiny TING 

I wondered if was a Buckaroo, using an air pistol, but no.

It became a source of concern a few months later when his ammo squibbed in his revolver.

As for lack of movement, I'm 78, need both knees replaced, but I'll hobble to what ever station or position the stage requires.

If my scores are at the bottom of the list, SO WHAT? I had fun!

I'll let some of Ya All shoot some of my light Loads, .38 WCF , 34 gr. 3F Goex  under a 181 gr. bullet, next step up, .44 Spl. 30 gr. 3F Goex under a 240 gr. bullet.

Then we could move up a might but I'm sure most of Ya won't want too ...

Jabez Cowboy

13 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Last fall she said she was going to come to one of our shoots this year, my home Range is 7.5 miles from my door ...

Now You have another reason to Come up to "Cow Country Alberta Canada"

Then Ya can Sing in my Church ... Still don't have a Singer for the funeral i'm doing tomorrow.

I guess i'll just have to lead da singing Me own self .... 

Jabez Cowboy 

You will lead and offer a great service, I am sure.

25 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I'll let some of Ya All shoot some of my light Loads, .38 WCF , 34 gr. 3F Goex  under a 181 gr. bullet, next step up, .44 Spl. 30 gr. 3F Goex under a 240 gr. bullet.

Then we could move up a might but I'm sure most of Ya won't want too ...

Jabez Cowboy

I don't shoot BP, but my 205 grain .45 Colt loads truck at 900 fps from my revolvers. People definitely know when I have a hit. 255 grain bullets are a little slower at 800fps.

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don't shoot BP, but my 205 grain .45 Colt loads truck at 900 fps from my revolvers. People definitely know when I have a hit. 255 grain bullets are a little slower at 800fps.

We keep it at 200gr .45 anf full APP loads.

Nice ring with plenty of smoke. (No additives to the powder)

I'm old, slow and crippled up in one way or another but I would love that shoot.  If'n I was trying to beat someone I shouldn't have started this foolishness  I'm reminded of a small man that my father went through basic training with. Shooting the M1, Dad said he would shoot a clip full, laugh and crawl back up to the firing line.

My .45 Colt load have either a 255 g RNFP (commercial Cast ) or a 270 gr. RNFP ( I cast ), over 37.7 gr. 3F Goex

They average between 924 - 960 Fps. out of my Revolvers depending on barrel lenght.

I filled the Whole Saloon at WR in 2016 with smoke.

Singin Sue; I sure could have used your help with the singing today, but We gave Gordon a right proper send-off.

Graveside service is Tomorrow. I hope it is more than a duet ..

Jabez Cowboy

AHH Yes!

Re- loading on the clock; bonus of time deductions for certain things done correctly; throw a knife; cast a rope; carry a dummy with you from shooting position to position; throw down cards, call the cardboard a CHEAT, shoot derringer from seated then shoot your way out of town; shoot a buffalo rifle and hit a plate to start the stage.

All so much fun.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, now it’s 10-10-4…10-10-4…10-10-4…like a boring stuffed shirt dance step from long ago. 

And, the targets are a lot closer.

Archived