SASS Wire Forum

So did he ?

24 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I suspect even back then they knew the difference between a contact gunshot and one from a distance.  As to who killed him, he purportedly wasn't a nice guy.  Who knows.

I wont  rule out suicide but as much as Doc I think all movie , Doc was up in Colorado a day or two before with Matterson in Colorado .
  But things like no boots , Shirt moccasins , gun belt upside down I agree to many didnt like him for various reasons , the fact that he was close to a ranchers house rules out the lost theory . 

I think someone shot him from afar. Wyatt maybe?? He had a lot of enemies!

Known to be violent even among dangerous rustlers and cowboys at the time, there is evidence pointing to "Buckskin" Frank Leslie as the killer of John Ringo. Eyewitnesses put Leslie and his friend Billy Claiborne near Turkey Creek at the time of Ringo’s death. On his deathbed Claiborne said, "Frank Leslie murdered John Ringo. I helped him carry Ringo in there,” according to the Epitaph reports.

12 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Known to be violent even among dangerous rustlers and cowboys at the time, there is evidence pointing to "Buckskin" Frank Leslie as the killer of John Ringo. Eyewitnesses put Leslie and his friend Billy Claiborne near Turkey Creek at the time of Ringo’s death. On his deathbed Claiborne said, "Frank Leslie murdered John Ringo. I helped him carry Ringo in there,” according to the Epitaph reports.

I’ve heard the rumors of Frank Leslie possibly being the killer but I never heard that Billy Claiborne told about it on his deathbed. Where did you read that?? 

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’ve heard the rumors of Frank Leslie possibly being the killer but I never heard that Billy Claiborne told about it on his deathbed. Where did you read that?? 

Article quoting the Epitaph.

Who killed Billy?

Who killed Pat Garrett?

Who killed JFK?

:D

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

From the Herald Review:

“Buckskin” Frank Leslie

Known to be violent even among dangerous rustlers and cowboys at the time, there is evidence pointing to Leslie as the killer of John Ringo.

Leslie opened the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tombstone in 1880. Not long after, historical records suggest that he murdered a man in a dispute over the man’s wife in a killing officially ruled as self-defense. He also badly pistol-whipped a man outside the Oriental Saloon, further leading to his violent reputation.

But more than just having a dangerous reputation around an already rough western mining town, eyewitnesses not only put Leslie and his friend Billy Claiborne near Turkey Creek at the time of Ringo’s death but say he actually was looking for Ringo specifically before Ringo turned up dead.

“My great-grandfather (Bill Sanders) was taking a load of lumber ... to, I don’t remember if it was Douglas or Bisbee, and they met Ringo,” Kandace Sanders said last week.image.png.83ae456f7ce1b7c154e9f17365ab245f.pngJohnny Ringo was known to play at this Faro table with Doc Holliday in the Bird Cage Theater in Tombstone.

“There is a little town up there that they would go to after they’d been partying in Tombstone called Galeyville. And they would have to pass the family ranch to get to Galeyville. And so on their way they saw Ringo, and I guess he was like slumped on the horse and didn’t really say anything to them. So they kept going, and several miles down the road they met up with Billy Claiborne and Frank ‘Buckskin’ Leslie and they were asking my great-grandfather if he had seen Ringo. So they were obviously going after Ringo.

“And when (Bill Sanders) got back Johnny Ringo had already been buried. They had already found him and he had been buried by the tree. And they just kind of put two-and-two together that Frank ‘Buckskin’ Leslie had shot him.”

Lost to history, though, is the motivation Leslie had for seeking out Ringo that day. But to travel all the way from Tombstone to the Turkey Creek area — a couple days’ ride by horse — suggests finding Ringo was a priority for Leslie and Claiborne. Whether their intentions were sinister in searching for Ringo in the area he would be found dead soon after is unclear.

“That’s the mystery,” said local historian Dwight Hull, who has been researching the evidence surrounding Ringo’s death for 25 years.

Although law enforcement never proved his guilt at the time, more evidence implicating Leslie came in the months and years after Ringo’s death.

Leslie and Claiborne, who were friends along with Ringo, got into a deadly argument in Tombstone in 1882. According to a November issue of the Tombstone Epitaph that year, Claiborne told friends he was going to shoot Leslie “for murdering John Ringo.” Claiborne reportedly left the Oriental Saloon — where Leslie was bartender — after threatening Leslie and came back with a rifle. The two met on Allen Street right in front of the Oriental and with one shot Leslie killed Claiborne almost four months to the day that Ringo died. On his deathbed Claiborne said, "Frank Leslie murdered John Ringo. I helped him carry Ringo in there,” according to the Epitaph reports.

Furthermore, according to “The Cochise Quarterly” from 1973, a publication of the Cochise County Historical and Archaeological Society and authored by Archie L. Gee, approximately a decade after Ringo died, Leslie admitted that he had killed the desperado. Sometime while he served in the Yuma Penitentiary (he received a 25-year sentence for the 1889 murder of a defenseless prostitute), according to Gee’s research, Leslie told a guard of his meeting Ringo in Turkey Creek Canyon. Leslie stated that when he caught up with Ringo, the latter took a shot at him and he returned fire in self defense, killing Ringo in the process.

Leslie was paroled after seven years, moved to San Francisco in 1904, and the date and cause of his own death is a mystery.

“Leslie was an ill-tempered and violent man, especially when he drank,” history.com notes.

Although any record of a motive for Leslie to kill Ringo is a missing piece of the puzzle, some historians assert that more than enough evidence against Leslie exists.

One thing I noticed in the article, stating that Ringo's pistol belt was on upside down, the illustration showing Ringo dead, the pistol belt is apparently rightside up as the rims of the cartridges are at the top of the loops. An interesting question is if Ringo was murdered, how did the angle of the bullet turn out to be about 45 degrees upward?  Ah, well... FWIW, Doc shooting Ringo in the movie...pure Hollyweird!  I don't see how Doc could have been in two places (Colorado and Arizona) at the same time.

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... is that just speculation ? ... or, did Who actually kill all them fellers ???   :huh:

Well Sir,  Billy I would say Garrett (Just not the story line of  the events )

as far as Garrett well he got taking a leak literally :)  No one ever really know that one but good read here 
https://truewestmagazine.com/the-assassination-of-pat-garrett/

Now one thing I can say with great certainty is Jack Mcall was hung for the killing of Hickok , Meet my great great uncle :)  Marshal J H Burdick appointed US Marshal in Dakota Territory The Marshal that did the hanging 

burdick.PNG

As historians point out....No.

Evidence suggests suicide.

Wyatt and Co.  fled the territory with murder warrants hanging over them.

There is record that Doc was in Colorado with a court date at the time of Ringo's demise.

Ringo was said to suffer from alcoholism and depression.

Breckinridge was said to be the last one to see him alive and said that Ringo was very drunk.

Who knows.....it could have been Breckinridge himself.

This post started off about Doc and Ringo and now it's going haywire! What's next on this post Who killed JFK? :P

On 3/6/2022 at 8:46 AM, Dantankerous said:

Who killed Billy?

Who killed Pat Garrett?

Who killed JFK?

:D

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This post started off about Doc and Ringo and now it's going haywire! What's next on this post Who killed JFK? :P

Went there YESTERDAY.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Went there YESTERDAY.

......... get with the program, man .........

;)

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Really want me to go there? His own Secret Service by accident grabbing a  M16 from floor of can behind him  :)

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... get with the program, man .........

;)

Never went back to see it. I’m just making a point that we never stay on track so this proves it. 
How about who killed JR ? :P

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Honestly I rather go 50 different places on this one than read 50 others posts on people bringing politics here . 

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Never went back to see it. I’m just making a point that we never stay on track so this proves it. 
How about who killed JR ? :P

Wasn't that Maggie Simpson?:P

I can believe Frank Leslie killed Ringo.  Nothing I've read over the years would lead me to believe that he wouldn't if given the opportunity.

Now, you wanna real Western whodunnit, then Pat Garrett's death is one of them. 

Since Jim Miller was involved,  my money goes on that psychopath by default. Garrett had enough enemies that somebody could have paid him.

ive enjoyed reading all this , it has given me time to think about the fact that even back then the press did not truthfully cover the facts , of course there were many reasons the FACTS dont come out , but after all these years its sad we dont know , 

i guess its no different than my teen years when i wondered who killed kennedy and why we were in viet nam , or today - why we are not oil self sufficient , 

i did enjoy reading all the links and learning more , i guess i dont know who really killed ringo , or garret for that matter , or if and who killled billy , its all part of the draw to the era for me and im glad there is so much contributed here ...i do enjoy the reads and speculation , it keeps it all alive in my mind , 

11 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... who the hejj cares ........ 

I never did did you??

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.................... absolutely not !  :ph34r:

I watched one episode of that stupid show! Stupid show iMHO 

47 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I watched one episode of that stupid show! Stupid show iMHO 

I couldn't get past any of the promotional advertising for the show and especially the "who killed jr" .........   :wacko:

nobody cares who killed JR , i never watched that series and cant say ive ever really thought of it save when someone brings it up ..........even then i could care less , 

but billy , ringo , pat , i do enjoy the speculation and reading of the theories , 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

nobody cares who killed JR , i never watched that series and cant say ive ever really thought of it save when someone brings it up ..........even then i could care less , 

but billy , ringo , pat , i do enjoy the speculation and reading of the theories , 

I know no one cares who shot JR I was just using it as sarcasm about staying on topic. 

16 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I know no one cares who shot JR I was just using it as sarcasm about staying on topic. 

sorry rye , i was not trying to insinuate , i was sorta adding to the sarcasm in that the topic was wandering about a bit , actually i have seldom objected to the ramble because usually the tangents are interesting 

a more interesting conversation would be, which character's played at cowboy matches currently on the wire would have killed Jonny Ringo and why :D

Johnny Ringo killed JR.......so in retrospect Johnny Ringo killed JR. :D

Archived