SASS Wire Forum

Comstock Cowboy?

Tom Bullweed

I got my 15-year SASS pin last year.  I shoot around 15-20 matches a year.  I have never shot more than three matches in a row with the same guns or in the same category.   Everything from Frontiersman to B-Western is fun.  I have never shot a clean match but have proven that a shooter can miss fast enough to be a category winner, even in a state match. Those fellas in the west sure missed alot too, based on contemporary records.

'Nuff about me.

Has anyone tried to write a match that allowed Comstock rules?

SASS allows Comstock rules for shotgun when we can make up a miss.  Not sure why we give unlimited chances on the gun with a spread.

Pistols: Starting on the left, single tap four targets with five shots, a miss does not count, a second miss can be made up with a on-the-clock reload. Pistol 2 is opposite, starting on the right.

Rifle: double-tap sweep on four targets, make up misses, even if an on-the-clock reload is required.  A small bonus target with a 5-second bonus for hitting on the first try (with #9 or #10) and a three second for a second try.

Shotgun: as normal.

Western 3 Gun allowed make ups on misses...but then again, they had KD center plates...and I don't remember anyone taking the time as the center plates were just one second bonuses.

So...go ahead and figure out how you're going to know whether you missed or not...unless you have a match with nothing but KD's.

Ugh...

Phantom

Some questions. What happens to the extra rounds if the shooter doesn’t have any misses? If the shooter hits all 4 pistol targets, do they then shoot any target with fifth round? If so, and that 5th shot misses, how is it scored?

A lot of shooters, me among them aren’t always aware of their misses until the spotters make the call. As Phantom said, how does the shooter know what they’ve missed unless it’s all KDs?

I always thought "Comstock" was a place.  California Gold Rush place.  Of course, California once had the Stanford Mathematic Study Group.  Just as hard to try and understand.

9 hours ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

Comstock works in USPSA due to higher capacity firearms and easier reloads. Don't see it working well with 5 shot sixguns and 10 shot carbines. But this is only my opinion and YMMV:)

And the fact that you know your hits...

A couple years ago, for Christmas, we had a 'guaranteed' clean shoot.

Each stage had a common, static target that you could make up any misses that you had with pistol and rifle with a shot with the shotgun on the common target.

Stage instructions even allowed you to stage a box of shells if you wanted.

Dang it if we didn't still have 25% that did not shoot it clean...

1 minute ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Each stage had a common, static target that you could make up any misses that you had with pistol and rifle with a shot with the shotgun on the common target.

Dang it if we didn't still have 15% that did not shoot it clean...

Again, that's a bitch to have to deal with... Finish the stage and what, have one guy say 1 miss, next spotter say 3, and the third say... Wait, where's my 3rd spotter!?... Hurry up, clock is running... Gotta get that silly clean match pin :lol:

3 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Dang it if we didn't still have 25% that did not shoot it clean...

Now that is something!!!

Variety can be fun.

The extra time would be a possible issue.  With a small posse, that is possible. 

With a larger shoot, plan on some "down time" while waiting to shoot the next stage.

I always enjoy stages with KD pistol/rifle targets and dump targets for extra rounds.  I wouldn't mind seeing a stage with 20+ knockdowns and simple instructions like, "firearms may be used in any order, but the rifle cannot be last, engage all targets until down."  Maybe even put one or two KDs a little further out to make an on the clock rifle reload better than simply cleaning up all misses with a shotgun.:P

You all are missing the main point  There is a 15 year PIN?  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

I always enjoy stages with KD pistol/rifle targets and dump targets for extra rounds.  I wouldn't mind seeing a stage with 20+ knockdowns and simple instructions like, "firearms may be used in any order, but the rifle cannot be last, engage all targets until down."  Maybe even put one or two KDs a little further out to make an on the clock rifle reload better than simply cleaning up all misses with a shotgun.:P

Come to Comin' At Cha and get more than 20 on a stage.

5 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Come to Comin' At Cha and get more than 20 on a stage.

Scoot and Shoot….what a blast!

Kajun

26 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Scoot and Shoot….what a blast!

Kajun

Then there is The Alamo and Garden

32 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

There are pins in 5 year increments...if you have not recieved yours yet, call the office.

I'm a couple years past 20 and not got one yet.  But then, "don't need no stinkin pins".

Life members may not get them, not sure of the criteria.

1 minute ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I'm a couple years past 20 and not got one yet.  But then, "don't need no stinkin pins".

Life members may not get them, not sure of the criteria.

I believe that is what I remember, that LIFERS don't recieve them.

If you have 11, 12,13 or 14 years...you will recieve the pin at the 15 mark.

Kinda fun to put on a hat!

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I believe that is what I remember, that LIFERS don't recieve them.

If you have 11, 12,13 or 14 years...you will recieve the pin at the 15 mark.

Kinda fun to put on a hat!

I'm close to my 20 years...never got the 15 years thingie...but it's not important too me.

But being able to bitch about it on the Wire is priceless!!!!

:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm close to my 20 years...never got the 15 years thingie...but it's not important too me.

But being able to bitch about it on the Wire is priceless!!!!

:rolleyes:

Now my precious....I haven't read any bitchin' !!!

I forget how long we have been members...so the pin kinda comes in handy!!!

4 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Now my precious....I haven't read any bitchin' !!!

I forget how long we have been members...so the pin kinda comes in handy!!!

I'm talking about me being able to bitch ;)

16 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And the fact that you know your hits...

If its a knockdown.  With paper its "that shot felt bad I'm going to back it up!" :D  (Don't you love ending up with 3 Alphas??? LOL)

22 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Actually, if I remember right, they were actually one of the coveted clean match towels.^_^

Oh... Well a towel is a completely different story!

:P

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm talking about me being able to bitch ;)

Surely not?:D

Archived