SASS Wire Forum

Just a Howdy

Cider Creek Shootist

Been on the outside lookin in for a while now . Thought I would drop in and say Howdy . Am gatherin guns , dies and such and hope to give that feller that comes in last place a run for his money soon . Merry Christmas to all of ya , and stay safe . The world needs as many Cowboys as it can get . 

Cider

The best advice is to stop buying  and get around some experienced cowboys.  You can see what works, differences in categories, most common equipment and support gear like leather and carts.  You might get a chance to handle guns and learn about sources for gear.

Get to a local match!  Now!

Common sense says that a new shooter needs to acquire all of the guns, gear, and clothing before going to a match.  Oh, and to get in plenty of practice beforehand so that they will be ready to compete.  Right?

Wrong!  The best approach is to attend a local match before you buy anything (or at least before you buy anything else).  Is this counterintuitive?  You betcha, but trust me, it works, for several reasons.

Over the years I have met many people who acquired all the guns, but never made it to a match.  They missed out on years of fun and friendship.

I’ve also met eager new shooters who showed up at a match with gear that they spent good money on, only to find that what the gun store salesman told them was perfect for SASS shooting would not run, or even that it was not legal.  I wouldn’t wish that disappointment on anyone.  It’s also totally avoidable.

Did I say “get yer carcass to a local match”?  Good.  Those Florida shooters will take care of you.

Merry Christmas.

Welcome!

In case you did not notice the vague references above :lol:, go to some matches and shoot other pard's guns to find what works for you. Then go find some of those.

And note you will be provided ammo with the loaner guns so you don't even need any to show up. Blue jeans, button up shirt, and shoes that meet the rules are a good idea, hat is optional but a good idea.

And 'pards will generally graciously decline any offer of payment for the gun use or the ammo. But do return all collected brass and shells to whoever loaned you their irons.

You might get them to accept an offer to pay for lunch... Maybe. The ones who accept can be expected to fill your head with huge amounts of SASS information.

When at the match, you might also offer to help where you can, such as picking brass (I have a hard time seeing it on the ground) or tearing down after the match (that I can do).

The clubs near you likely have web forums,  find them and join them. Besides information, they are also a great local source for good used arms and accessories.

You folks sure know how to make a feller feel welcome , and a lot of good advice . I shot IPSC for a number of years and was just gettin my feet wet at Cowboy Matches , when the bottom fell out and it was time to thin the toys so to speak . But i gotta tell ya , i loved it . Some of the best folks I've ever run into . Seems retirement has slipped up on me . Wife said I have spent plenty of time doing what I had to , now it was time to do what I want to . She also has a "Honey Do " list , but I get time off for shootin :). Gonna have to lay low for a little longer , Doc says i'm in the high risk of things turning ugly if i get the covid so I have been avoiding folks best i can .  Will get my carcass out to a local match just as soon as i can to see what folks are shootin but i gotta tell ya ............ I'd rather lend my gun , then borrow one . Not sure why .Thanks again for the welcome and advice.

Being in St Pete you should come to the Doodle Hill Regulators match this Sunday in Ruskin.  It’s just over the Skyway from St Pete.  If you have any gear, bring it and people will probably try to fix you up with things to shoot with.

CC Shootist,

Like you,I don't like to borrow gear.But if I  hadn't I would probably have missed out on the most fun I've had in years.

I say go and try whatever gear is offered,talk to those who it belongs to ,and have fun.

I'm sure you will offer to use your own ammo,but most cowboys prefer to shoot their ammo in their guns.Most of the time a sincere smile,a handshake,and Thank You will be most appreciated.

Welcome to the sport,

Choctaw Jack

CC, let folks help you now, because in a year or so, you will be doing the same thing for some other person new to CAS.

27 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

CC, let folks help you now, because in a year or so, you will be doing the same thing for some other person new to CAS.

You told him? I thought he was supposed to figure that out for himself.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 7:20 PM, Cider Creek Shootist said:

Thanks for the welcome . Home is St.Petersburg Fl. there are a couple clubs within an easy drive from here . Gonna go pester them once i'm  set up.

Thought I needed to be set up before my first match and it was eye opening when that glorious day came. Guy who steered me from IPSC (that I was pretty good at) to cowboy (that I had never seen) brought guns and ammo for me. EVERYBODY there offered me their favorite firearm/ammo, (thought there might be a catfight or two over whose guns I would choose:D) and generally felt like one of the gang from the minute I was introduced at pre shoot briefing. As I got ready to shoot my first stage the TO leaned in and said "enjoy this and soak it in because that guy over there is the overall state champion, that lady is the world champion in category and that guy has won his category at the national championships several times. They will help you if you ask but you aren't going to win, not yet anyway. The fun of the game is why they are here, never forget that."

Welcome

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Some of the best folks (and best Cowboys) you'll ever meet live down in Florida.   Really fine folks.

Welcome!

..........Widder

Widder, didn’t you used to live in FL....or was that the twins? :lol:

Kajun

Welcome to da Fun , get out and enjoy..

Still have my first two Revolvers I used for main match guns ( Uberti Cattlemen in .45 Colt ) though I don't shoot them much in matches ...

I now Shoot Uberti 1871 Open-tops in . 44 spl. 7 1/2 inch barrels with navy grips ...

I shoot 66s one in .45 Colt and the other in .38 WCF. not the rifles I started with a couple of decades ago ...

So don't sweat the equipment or lack there of and get out and shoot with folks ...

Again Welcome and Merry Christmas ...

Jabez Cowboy

9 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Widder, didn’t you used to live in FL....or was that the twins? :lol:

Kajun

@Krazy Kajun yeah, he did, but the extradition time is almost up...:D

Archived