SASS Wire Forum

every day carry knife

Highwall

On 6/30/2020 at 11:28 PM, Highwall said:

Thanks J-Bar,  but it would be much harder today making that choice of quality since most all knives  are now made in China Pakistan or Argentina. 

You can still find U.S. made knives, including a number of Buck models. I keep looking at them at work and have to talk myself out of buying.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, Highwall said:

Thanks J-Bar,  but it would be much harder today making that choice of quality since most all knives  are now made in China Pakistan or Argentina. 

46 minutes ago, DocWard said:

You can still find U.S. made knives, including a number of Buck models. I keep looking at them at work and have to talk myself out of buying.

If you look at the knives and multi-tool in my post the Benchmade knives are made in the USA. The Victorinox knives and multi-tool are Swiss. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you look at the knives and multi-tool in my post the Benchmade knives are made in the USA. The Victorinox knives and multi-tool are Swiss. 

Benchmade has left a bad taste for some gun owners by their actions. Spyderco is also USA made.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Benchmade has left a bad taste for some gun owners by their actions. Spyderco is also USA made.

Oh yeah, they cut up a couple of guns for the police. We should sic the manbuntifa fairies on them....:lol:

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh yeah, they cut up a couple of guns for the police. We should sic the manbuntifa fairies on them....:lol:

There's that, although that aspect was overblown in my opinion. I don't have a problem with destroying specific firearms, per se, but that actually becomes A somewhat longer, slightly more nuanced discussion. In the same vein, I have no problem with Yeti products, other than price.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of contributing money to the campaigns of some Democrats who are noted for being anti-gun, receiving F Ratings from the NRA. Sure, they sponsor gun and knife shows, and other "gun friendly events." It seems to me that you can do all you want to wave a Second Amendment banner locally, but if you're giving money to those going to Washington who are willing and able to curtail those rights, that's a bigger problem.

But hey, you do you, and spend your money accordingly.

I've tried to do a political boycott of Benchmade but, just can't be bothered.  Their stuff is mostly derivative, trendy and, ho-hum.  All of it is way overpriced.

They are "self boycotting."

I already own them and I like them. My money. My choice. I would not toss them in the trash over their management stupidity. 

Do a survey of all the businesses you deal with and you will find many do things you don’t agree with. I guarantee it’ll surprise you. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I already own them and I like them. My money. My choice. I would not toss them in the trash over their management stupidity. 

Do a survey of all the businesses you deal with and you will find many do things you don’t agree with. I guarantee it’ll surprise you. 

It has never made sense to me to destroy something I paid good money for as a way of showing my disapproval. If I owned one I would keep it too.

As for the rest, yes, companies do what is in their best interest, and I won’t always like all of those things. Heck I might vehemently disagree with some, but that is a bit different than touting your business as pro 2A, then contributing to anti 2A candidates for Congress.

42 minutes ago, DocWard said:

It has never made sense to me to destroy something I paid good money for as a way of showing my disapproval. If I owned one I would keep it too.

As for the rest, yes, companies do what is in their best interest, and I won’t always like all of those things. Heck I might vehemently disagree with some, but that is a bit different than touting your business as pro 2A, then contributing to anti 2A candidates for Congress.

Isn’t it a shame we have to think about politics when purchasing a doggone American made product? 

I remember when I searched for American products so I wouldn’t be supporting the Chinese Communists. Sheesh! 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Isn’t it a shame we have to think about politics when purchasing a doggone American made product? 

I remember when I searched for American products so I wouldn’t be supporting the Chinese Communists. Sheesh! 

You are 100% correct 

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 11:24 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I carry two Opinel,  a No. 5 and a No. 8.

In church I add a Swiss Army "card" in my cassock. 

I loved the Opinel No8 I used to carry, gave it away a while back, bought a No7 yesterday to replace it.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Buck 307 I bought at the Navy Exchange in Millington TN in '75. 

Knife.jpg

what's the pen?

I edc fountain pens, mostly noodler's although I have also carried older shaeffer's and esterbrook's, I prefer the modern ones because I can mod them and don't have to worry about my kids getting a hold of them and leaving teeth marks in the caps.  Currently carrying a Noodler's Konrad December 25th with a modified Broad Itallic Noodler's Flex nib I worked up myself.  Here's a note I wrote for my wife a few years back, different Konrad, same nib, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange, nice shading, great line variation, both with and without flex.

WP_20171015_19_24_50_Pro.jpg

yup!, blind cap to cover the piston screw so it doesn't get moved around in your pocket.

3 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

yup!, blind cap to cover the piston screw so it doesn't get moved around in your pocket.

Gonna have to break out my Peikan 215 again, been too long since I carried it.

the Konrad's are pretty nice, you can get one for about $20-25, they are piston fill with a blind cap, come with a modern flex nib, not as nice as a vintage flex nib, but if you just want to make your writing look good it'll get the job done, and you can get parts easily.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

WOW! How long have you been carrying that knife?

Circa 1984

I bought one just like it in 1968, but somewhere I mislaid it. So I replaced it around 1984.

I've carried a Leatherman multi-tool for a heck of a lot of years. Used it at work mostly for breaking down cardboard boxes and the occasional strapping on some boxes. They don't hold an edge really well, but are good enough for my use. I'm on my second one.:blush:

5 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Circa 1984

I bought one just like it in 1968, but somewhere I mislaid it. So I replaced it around 1984.

That’s great. It looks like you definitely got some use out of it. :D

I had a knife like it in high school. I lost it due to a fire at my aunt’s house along with everything else I owned after joining the Navy. 

Yours looks like it was the”Muskrat”.

Mine looked like this one:

9E074203-ADC1-466B-875A-86167D1A6093.jpeg.9adbc93120467cbab01477e15618d48c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s great. It looks like you definitely got some use out of it. :D

I had a knife like it in high school. I lost it due to a fire at my aunt’s house along with everything else I owned after joining the Navy. 

Yours looks like it was the”Muskrat”.

Mine looked like this one:

9E074203-ADC1-466B-875A-86167D1A6093.jpeg.9adbc93120467cbab01477e15618d48c.jpeg

I forget what it was sold as but the Muskrat looks like it. 

Blades are getting thin. 

Howdy,

Ive never figured out why makers dont put a small screwdriver blade

on the other end of single blade knives.

Actually that bottle opener screwdriver blade from Swiss Army could work.

Best

CR

Saw this thread two months ago, someone woke it up.

I carry a Sheffield knife. Sounds fancy, but except for the name and the blue color, it is identical to a Husky I got at Home Depot. Was carrying the one from HD, but lost it. Since then I have found it, but no reason to switch back; I like the way the Sheffield logo and the blue anodizing are wearing. I use this knife almost every day, and it is surprisingly easy to sharpen :lol:

IMG_0832.jpeg

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I carry a Sheffield knife. Sounds fancy, but except for the name and the blue color, it is identical to a Husky I got at Home Depot. Was carrying the one from HD, but lost it. Since then I have found it, but no reason to switch back; I like the way the Sheffield logo and the blue anodizing are wearing. I use this knife almost every day, and it is surprisingly easy to sharpen :lol:

IMG_0832.jpeg

I carried a similar knife by Blue Point for a short while. I stopped carrying it the day I opened it on a river bank and the blade retention doo-hickey opened and the blade fell out, bounced on the rocks and into the rapids it went...and there I was without a knife. 

Got this from the NRA for something. Probably when I took the Life membership. It holds an edge and is handy for one hand operation; while holding the work subject, usually a cardboard box. It has one of those pocket clips on the other side. That doesn’t work worth a fig. Lost it twice because of the lousy clip. Found it in my chair. 2 3/4” blade, NC limit is 3” so I’m safe there. No automatics or flip blades  (inertia operated) allowed.1AC34C42-8983-4C31-B88F-97EC54D2A965.thumb.jpeg.06912ed275ff7f9283a8e8cb729d5762.jpeg

CJ

5 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

IMG_0832.jpeg

A co-worker of mine carried the Husky at work. He loved it and changed out the blade every month. 

When the kids were younger and we were camping regularly I carried the two-bladed Buck.  Then for several years I carried the Swiss Army.  For the last couple of years I've carried the small folder I got from the NRA for rejoining. It's small, unobtrusive, and my eldest, a fledgling knife maker, put a razor sharp edge on it for me. 

IMG_20200919_053350961_HDR.jpg

Archived