Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rye Miles #13621

No ammo without gun purchase!

Recommended Posts

So I went to a couple gun shops in the area today. I was just looking around and I did want to purchase a box of .357 FMJ's. I load .38's but I'm too lazy to readjust the dies and I don't shoot .357's hardly at all. I like to have some for home defense.

So I go to the first gun shop and they have a HUGE sign, ammo purchase only if you buy a firearm! Really? That's not really good business in my estimation.

The next gun shop had only hollow points. The 3rd gun shop had a box of FMJ .357 and I bought it. I told the stores about the gun shop that was only selling ammo if you BUY a gun! They both agreed that was a bad business practice even in a shortage. Personally I don't think I'll ever go back there!

 

What say you??

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RYE,

did you get the 'ring' that might have come with your reloading dies?

 

You set up your dies for .38 special.  Then when you want to load up some .357 stuff,

you attached 'the ring' to your die and it makes it suitable for .357 mag stuff.

Sometimes, depending upon bullet length, you might have to adjust the bullet seating

dies but not for the crimp setting when using the ring.

 

..........Widder

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

RYE,

did you get the 'ring' that might have come with your reloading dies?

 

You set up your dies for .38 special.  Then when you want to load up some .357 stuff,

you attached 'the ring' to your die and it makes it suitable for .357 mag stuff.

Sometimes, depending upon bullet length, you might have to adjust the bullet seating

dies but not for the crimp setting when using the ring.

 

..........Widder

 

You know, I found rings like that in my reloading stuff and couldn’t remember what they were for. I stashed them out of the way. Your post reminded me. Thank you, Widder. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Prof. Fuller Bullspit said:

Honey, I had to buy a gun or they wouldn’t let buy the ammo you needed.

X2, any reason to buy a new gun is a good reason.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only seen that at one store, Rye. It was a few years back when morons walked the Earth (and still do) buying up and hoarding ammo they probably didn’t need.

They wanted to make sure buyers at least had something to shoot in their new gun. It was a really small store in Oregon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have only seen that at one store, Rye. It was a few years back when morons walked the Earth (and still do) buying up and hoarding ammo they probably didn’t need.

They wanted to make sure buyers at least had something to shoot in their new gun. It was a really small store in Oregon. 

I guess that’s what theyre thinking but I hardly  ever buy ammo when I buy a new gun unless it’s a new caliber that I don’t have. :blink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

RYE,

did you get the 'ring' that might have come with your reloading dies?

 

You set up your dies for .38 special.  Then when you want to load up some .357 stuff,

you attached 'the ring' to your die and it makes it suitable for .357 mag stuff.

Sometimes, depending upon bullet length, you might have to adjust the bullet seating

dies but not for the crimp setting when using the ring.

 

..........Widder

 

 

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You know, I found rings like that in my reloading stuff and couldn’t remember what they were for. I stashed them out of the way. Your post reminded me. Thank you, Widder. :D

 

Thanks guys, I had forgotten all about that ring/washer. Just looked, still there...both of them (2 sets)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have only seen that at one store, Rye. It was a few years back when morons walked the Earth (and still do) buying up and hoarding ammo they probably didn’t need.

They wanted to make sure buyers at least had something to shoot in their new gun. It was a really small store in Oregon. 

 

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I guess that’s what theyre thinking but I hardly  ever buy ammo when I buy a new gun unless it’s a new caliber that I don’t have. :blink: 

 

That's ironic in a way. I bought a single barrel shotgun at Walmart one time and they wouldn't sell me 12ga birdshot shells because of buying the shotgun even though I had just shown them my CWP. They had to walk me to the door, I had to take the shotgun to the truck and go back in to buy the 5 cases of shotgun shells.

 

I can understand why the gun store rule is in place. The same reason as Pat listed above. Another reason could be that the profit level % on the gun is much higher than the ammo. I wouldn't rule out the store in the future, they probably just did what they thought was best for their customers and business. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the weird thing is I was looking for a box of .357 and I noticed that there was no .357 guns in the store! They had a couple.38 revolvers and no .357 rifles. I could see they had a few boxes of .357 Hornady Critical Defense but that’s not what I wanted anyway .:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

RYE,

did you get the 'ring' that might have come with your reloading dies?

 

You set up your dies for .38 special.  Then when you want to load up some .357 stuff,

you attached 'the ring' to your die and it makes it suitable for .357 mag stuff.

Sometimes, depending upon bullet length, you might have to adjust the bullet seating

dies but not for the crimp setting when using the ring.

 

..........Widder

 

I’m not sure about the ring, I guess I’ll have to look! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

That's ironic in a way. I bought a single barrel shotgun at Walmart one time and they wouldn't sell me 12ga birdshot shells because of buying the shotgun even though I had just shown them my CWP. They had to walk me to the door, I had to take the shotgun to the truck and go back in to buy the 5 cases of shotgun shells.

 

You look like Ahnold Schwarzenegger, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around here you can hardly buy either cause thar ain't neither to purchase no more!

 

:D

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

 

You look like Ahnold Schwarzenegger, maybe?

 

Now that that's the funniest thing I've seen in a good long time.:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rye, I would never go back to those shops. Would be leary about those bad business practices.

If they are worried about hoarders then limit the amount they sell to customers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago .

Back when we could Not get primers or powder any place you went .

I went in to a gun store that had lots of powder and primers .

I grabbed a 5 pounder of Unique and took it up to the counter .

The owner said the only way you can buy that is to buy 100 dollars worth of something else .

I asked to see the owner .

He said I am the owner .

I told him What I thought of him and his policy and that I would Never be back again .

I have told everyone that I know that shoots or loads about him.

I dont know how much money he has lost with that decision .

But I bet it cost him a lot more then he made with his scheme .

Rooster   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work part time at a LGS.  It's a small shop, locally owned.  The owner and manager decided last week that our supply would be gone quickly if we allowed unlimited sales.  Currently, due to stock levels, we allow each customer to buy not more than 500 rounds of .223, and not more than 200 rounds of 9mm.  IF you buy an AR-15 in .223/5.56, you can buy an additional 500 rounds of ammo for that gun.  

 

Our stock is low enough that our manager and owner have been bringing some of their own ammo in to resell.  We have gone up on price, but only cover what the store is now having to pay to replenish stock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

 

Thanks guys, I had forgotten all about that ring/washer. Just looked, still there...both of them (2 sets)

Never heard of such a thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noz said:

Never heard of such a thing.

I have rings for my 38/357 dies and for the 44sp/44 Rem Mag dies..  I also made a ring our of some very large washer for my 40SW/10MM dies.  Works for me.  Set for the smaller cartridge, then when you do the larger cartridge put the ring on, screw on the same die and you are at the proper height for the large cartridge.  The ring in only needed for the flaring die and the seating die.  Sizing die does not require it. 

 

STL Suomi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

OK.  So ..... Now I gotta go look in all my die boxes for the little ring thingies.  Sumpthin ta do  :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Rye, I would never go back to those shops. Would be leary about those bad business practices.

If they are worried about hoarders then limit the amount they sell to customers.

Whiskey, that's what the other shops I visited were doing, limit one or two per customer. I have no problem with that! Kinda like the toilet paper thing!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

You folks have me thinking about a scene from 'pretty woman'.

The best revenge is living well.

Best

CR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.