SASS Wire Forum

Practice Anyone?

Tequila Shooter

You fellers are just to kind.... and Funny.

Like many other Pards,  I just help where and when I can with hopes it can help someone.

I enjoy shooting the 97.   I could shoot a case a day for a month and still enjoy blasting away with it.

But don't be fooled by a few videos.  I've put in a lot of practice time in both dry fire and live fire and

if my learning experiences can help someone, I'm glad to assist.

P.S. - I also have my '97 hero's in SASS.

...........Widder

You fellers are just to kind.... and Funny.

Like many other Pards,  I just help where and when I can with hopes it can help someone.

You've got a score of videos to help folks out. Give freely your time on the phone to help folks with their Marlins and Henry rifles. You've been innovative with the Henry softstroke, and everything you've done with the Marlin. Not even mentioning a world record pistol run and the fastest time I've heard of with the 97. I'd say you've helped a person or two but your biggest accomplishment is probably getting to know me.:ph34r:

P.S. - I also have my '97 hero's in SASS.

...........Widder

Widder, I don't even use a 97. Oh wait....:lol:

You've got a score of videos to help folks out. Give freely your time on the phone to help folks with their Marlins and Henry rifles. You've been innovative with the Henry softstroke, and everything you've done with the Marlin. Not even mentioning a world record pistol run and the fastest time I've heard of with the 97. I'd say you've helped a person or two but your biggest accomplishment is probably putting up with me.:ph34r:

Widder, I don't even use a 97. Oh wait....:lol:

Fixed that for you!

TN Williams best attributes are his Humbleness and Modesty.

If you don't believe me, just ask Him..... :lol:

He has been credited for having good 'Perception' based on having some good friends (both of them)

and some Cowboys he associates with.

..........Widder

There's a lot of advice in this thread that focuses on the mechanics of shooting.  What folks forget is that a huge piece of the puzzle lies in the mental game.  You need to practice remaining relaxed and focused also.  When those match nerves start to creep in this practice will pay huge dividends. 

Here's another thing to practice.  Although it doesn't happen often, sometimes you'll jack a round out of your rifle.  Practice reloading that jacked out round on the clock.  Sometimes a stage will be written that requires an 11th round to be shot.

There's a lot of advice in this thread that focuses on the mechanics of shooting.  What folks forget is that a huge piece of the puzzle lies in the mental game.  You need to practice remaining relaxed and focused also.  When those match nerves start to creep in this practice will pay huge dividends. 

Too true, I don't know how many times I saw someone with a clean match get a miss or a P on the last stage.  Of course I eliminate that problem by missing early :lol:

Here in Yuma, members of our club meet Thursday mornings for practice.  Just informal matches where you can work on what you need.

Cold weather don't bother us!  We'll be out there even when the temperature gets below 50F!

TN Williams best attributes are his Humbleness and Modesty.

If you don't believe me, just ask Him..... :lol:

He has been credited for having good 'Perception' based on having some good friends (both of them)

and some Cowboys he associates with.

..........Widder

I'm the best person I know of at being humble. I also make a really good team.

Somebody always has to say something that has to do with the original post.:o

Good point. For me there's a sweet spot somewhere between relaxed and anxious. Too relaxed and I tend to lolly gag. Too anxious and I step on my guns.

I put a pretty good bit of time in just picking my guns up;and, a pretty good bit of time on transitions.

You can practice dry firing those pistolas driving down the road or sitting on the crapper. 

I shoot like crap on my own, sure don't need any more time getting that kind of practice in. :lol:

Kajun

Good point. For me there's a sweet spot somewhere between relaxed and anxious. Too relaxed and I tend to lolly gag. Too anxious and I step on my guns.

Well said Mr. Tennessee.

I practice in my home when the weather's too bad. I practice dry firing with snap caps at targets on my wall. I try to improve my transition with the carbine and really work hard on grabbing shells from my belt, loading and firing my double. That's where I lose the most time. :)

Luckily, there's some nearby shooting all year around. Plus, my own "back yard" range never closes!!!  :D

I have a covered shooting area for the left two of my stages so they can be used rain or shine. I also have two clay pigeon throwers to keep me on my toes. I use my timer when going through an entire  scenario. My BPCR bench is uncovered so I don't use it when its covered by several feet of snow!!!  ;)

I am seriously considering getting a Texas star. I find them a lot of fun. My targets are a combination of ranges and distances from tiny and far to close and 5' square dump metal.

What do you all do?

If you think that the "Texas Star"  is fun, there is no hope for you.  It's one of the most evil machine ever evolved for a shooting game.

I'm confident that with a lot of practice I could even break a minute!!!  :wub:

I've been told that I need to practice more, and I agree.  One day I will start practicing, just not today. And although my times are not great, I always have fun and that's why I go.  So my question to everyone especially as many of you are in colder areas of the country, what do you practice?  I've thought about loading the SG since this seems to be where I lose time.  What about you what do you practice?

I own 24/7 Emergency service company .

And I work a lot of hours a week .

I shoot Cowboy Acton for a peace of mind and rest & relaxation. 

I have No interest in practicing two or three hours at a time with transitions or dry firing .

Sounds like a Second job to me .

I shoot because I love to shot .

And I only compete with myself. 

It dont matter if I'm last or first it's just a fun day Not at work .

Just Sayin. 

Rooster 

It takes about 10 to 20 minutes a day dry firing 2 to 3 times a week to bring your times down substantially.  If you can mix in a live fire session instead of dry fire, you'll really drop your times.

If you like what you do, that's great.  If you want to go faster, practice is what you need.  If you want to go really fast, technique and practice will get you there.

I obviously like to go fast.  I wish I had started this game a long time ago when my reflexes were faster.  For now and the future, I'll practice as much as I can but not break parts that are already worn and/or broke once.

It takes about 10 to 20 minutes a day dry firing 2 to 3 times a week to bring your times down substantially.  If you can mix in a live fire session instead of dry fire, you'll really drop your times.

If you like what you do, that's great.  If you want to go faster, practice is what you need.  If you want to go really fast, technique and practice will get you there.

I obviously like to go fast.  I wish I had started this game a long time ago when my reflexes were faster.  For now and the future, I'll practice as much as I can but not break parts that are already worn and/or broke once.

I think you've shared some good info above, Null.

I would like to add one other thing:

If a shooter wants to go really fast, they gotta practice speed.   Speed that

they didn't think they possessed.   At first, the shooter might experience some clumsiness with all out speed.

But, if ya want real, all out speed..... the shooter needs to practice speed.

..........Widder

I would like to add one other thing:

If a shooter wants to go really fast, they gotta practice speed.  

Speed that

they didn't think they possessed.   At first, the shooter might experience some clumsiness with all out speed.

But, if ya want real, all out speed..... the shooter needs to practice speed.

..........Widder

True words by Widder.

Accuracy is a skill. 

Do everything correctly and your bullet will strike the target.

Speed is a mindset. 

You have to force speed with every shot, movement, transition and thought.

Archived