SASS Wire Forum

Tipping

Subdeacon Joe

If I had paid closer attention in Math I could have a pretty snappy comeback here, but alas, I do not. 

I know if this dipstick came back to my restaurant his next meal and the service received would reflect his smart &$$ed tip.

7 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

A little over 11.5% must have been bad service. B)

kR

If you tip in Australia that's a pretty good one.

The difference here is our minimum wage is $19.49 (casual staff get a 25%+ loading on top of that) an hour so the staff don't need tips to live.

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

If you tip in Australia that's a pretty good one.

The difference here is our minimum wage is $19.49 (casual staff get a 25%+ loading on top of that) an hour so the staff don't need tips to live.

Major Crimes,

Just another reason to move to the land down under.

Quitting my job, packing my belongings now! :P

In some countries, some places, tip is included in the check. 11% extra is excellent.

one time in NYC, Alan Dershowitz hosted a party for many, you guessed it, lawyers. The tip was 18% included in the check. Service was as you can guess poor. He paid but refused to pay the “tip”. Insisted service was poor. Insisted they sue him for it, they did and lost. The judge agrees that bad service could not be automatically rewarded.

I have found that when a tip is automatically added into the bill that service usually is mediocre. 

I have arranged quite a few parties at restaurants for work functions in my time.

The one thing I tell these restaurants is “If we receive mediocre service no one from the company I work for will ever have another party at your facility.”

That usually helps. Another thing that helps is to tell them that you will sweeten the pot to receive better service.

I'm still working that rotating shift, recovering from a week of midnights, my brain works strangely and run in odd paths at such times.
There's a song by the Trashmen, "Bird is the Word," and when I saw PI on the receipt, my first mental response was the Transmen singing "Nerd is the Word!"

Methinks it's time for more coffee!

An old man went to a restaurant and got terrible service.  He left a large tip.

The next night he went  again and got wonderful service.   He left a two bit tip.  The manager noticed and asked him why.

"Last night I tipped for the service I got tonight.  Tonight I tipped for the service I got last night."

I used to be a volunteer bartender at the local American Legion.   Being on the other side of the bar was an education in lives of people who work for tips.  I know I've upped my game in how I tip servers.  I tip with Golden Dollars so I hope that they remember I left a good tip.  

I usually tip around 18-20% in cash.  I figure a rough 15% and round up to the nearest dollar,  so sometimes it is higher. 

When the service is bad, I tip EXACTLY 15% on my card (which means they don't get it immediately) and ask for the manager.

Being  passive-aggressive and shorting on a tip does nothing but insure that you will never get good service (bad tippers are remembered, just like good ones) because you aren't doing anything to remedy the situation.

Playing dominance games like putting cash in plain view on the table and taking some away when something you don't like happens is also a great way to guarantee you get bad service.  At some point, the server is going to decide that you just aren't worth ignoring other, non-butthead customers to keep you happy.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I had paid closer attention in Math I could have a pretty snappy comeback here, but alas, I do not. 

I know if this dipstick came back to my restaurant his next meal and the service received would reflect his smart &$$ed tip.

I have a little story.

We had a cabin at a resort lake. It was right across the street from the Deputy Sheriff's house. My dad heard lots of stories about locals and tourists from him.  (If you ever read the book "The Hells Angels," that was the sheriff.)

Anyway throughout my childhood I thought "Postpile" Bill was the hermit who lived in the woods.

One summer (1970), when I worked in a local restaurant, Bill came in every day for coffee ($0.25 a cup) and never tipped. My last day there, he tipped me $5.00. The manager told me that was the only tip she knew of him ever giving. Assuming, He came in five days a week for three months. (He didn't come in on weekends though.) A 20% tip would be $0.25 x 5 days a week x 4 weeks x 3 months would be $3. So, $5 was a huge tip, almost 34%, if I am not mistaken. My heart was warmed.

Today, I eat lunch out almost every day I go to "town." I almost always round up from 20%, sometimes I tip more. If it is a place I frequent, they usually remember me and I get excellent service.

My wife was a Hair stylist, fancy word for beautician. She, we, depended on her tips for a serious add to her income. So she educated me and we both tip well based on the service. I usually leave cash and card for the actual purchase. That way they get their money and can hide some of it from income tax. Although many states now have a minimum tax assuming some sort of income from tips.  One thing to wrap your mind around is if the service is great but the food was crap. Tip well but don't come back.

Ike

19 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Today, I eat lunch out almost every day I go to "town." I almost always round up from 20%, sometimes I tip more. If it is a place I frequent, they usually remember me and I get excellent service.

I do as well. :)

I will tip much more than 20+% if service is very good and quite often just because the server has a great attitude or personality. 

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

If it were not said in jest, you would have acquired another gun-friendly resident. :)

I usually tip 20+5 for really good service.

For really bad service I'lI leave a quarter.  "Nothing" is an oversight.  Two bits is a comment.

In either case I will often make a comment about the service to the manager.

What type of place I am at makes a difference of the size tip I leave.

Buffet type. They are only taking drink order and that is pretty much it, does not

get as good a tip as a full service restaurant.

And have left as small as a penny. So they know I thought about it. But they was just not worth much.

Normally with good service it's 20%. Great service gets a little more. Poor service gets a LOT less.

I am not the one to reward bad service.

We usually tip around 20%to 30%.  On occasion I've tipped close to 50%, but that will be when we have been there for hours and the staff has been friendly, attentive without being overbearing, and not dropped hints that they need a table.  

At one place we used to go to for the Friday happy hour on a regular basis the staff all knew us, they knew (becaue we told them) that if they were getting slammed that they could take their time getting around to us.  Contrarywise, on the few occasions when we were a little short on time we would also let them know that.  Get there fiveish, have a drink, a few appatizers, listen to the live band, order dinner, have another drink, maybe dessert.  

If we had a complaint we would quietly tell the waiter, or get the manager aside and in as close to a professional manner as we could, detail what was wrong, not just "The food sucked!" along with a comment that we know that these things happen occasionally.  I think we only had three complaints over two years - one was the beef I had ordered was about 1/3 fat and gristle, one was about dirty plates, and one was a mix up on the order (don't recall exactly what it was).

If we had praise we would ask the waiter to bring the manager over and publicly let them know how good things were that night.  

As a consequence we got uniformly excellent service, they would often, after they got to know us, comp us an appatizer or two, or a dessert.  We could show up without reservations to crowded days (Mother's Day Brunch for example) and get waved to the front of the line.  Sometimes they would use us as guinea pigs when working up new dishes for the menu.  

My son supported  his family, and put himself through college bartending. I was amazed at the tips he got!! He was a good bartender and remembered your name and your drink, so he earned his tips.  And if you were a good customer he made sure you got a drink on the house occasionally. It wasn't unusual for someone to leave a $20 tip. (I drank free) And I did tip my son.

I tip 15% for good service, more if the service goes above that, and if the service is bad, I do not tip anything. Their job is not only serving food or drinks but to insure the customer is satisfied, and taken care of to the best of their ability.

I tip 20% of the total bill, which is pretty good here due to a 9% meal tax added and the 6% sales tax. Only 10% if the service sucks and about 10-15% if the tips are shared. I hate that and will always ask if I get exceptional service. I want to tip the one who served us. Not all the slouches that sit back and pretend to be busy.

Archived